I posted about a month ago that I was going to double up my foot pegs for more support and some of you wanted to know how it went and what I thought. Well, I'm all finished up and took some pics along the way. I would say that it's well worth the 2 hrs to do. I rode around when I was finished and thought it made a nice difference.
1. Take off the heel guards on both sides. There are 4 screw/bolts and a plastic bolt. They come off pretty easy.
2. Take your 2nd set of foot pegs and cut off the ends where each peg attaches to the frame. I used an angle grinder. Also, I cut the bottom of the peg where it tapers out towards the end. Refer to the pic to see what I'm talking about. If you don't cut the bottom, you'll have to cut more of the heel plastic. Do this for both pegs.
3. Now, you'll have to drill another hole on each peg for a bolt. Do this for both sides. Notice on the pegs that there's only 1 hole. Obviously, you'll need another. What I did, I drilled a hole (the same size as the one that's already on there) on the cut peg first, then, I aligned that peg to the peg that's already on the bike. Mark it, drill it, and done. Do this for both sides. In the end, you'll have 2 bolts on each side to hold on the new peg.
4. Attach both heel guards back on the 700.
5. Now you'll need to cut/grind the heel guard plastic. I attached a picture on how much I cut. It worked out pretty good. I used a dremel tool with a cut wheel attachment as well as a grinding attachment. These seemed to work well. Take off what you need to attach the cut peg. Refer to the pic to see how much I cut.
6. Clean up the melted plastic and attach the new pegs on each side. I used 2 5/16" stainless bolts on each side with a lock washer. I think each bolt was 3/4" long. Now, you'll have to put a little force and push down the peg to get the holes aligned. You might have to tinker a little with it, but once you get the bolts in, you're set. Here's a pic of one side finished.
Hope this helps if you want more foot support and are not a fan of the huge nerf bars.