Skid Plates: Directions - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 01-06-2012, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Skid Plates: Directions

I need directions on how to install Honda Racing Skid Plates. Can anyone help me?

I apologize if this isn't the right place to post this.

Thanks,
Shonie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Heckle: 2008 TRX 700xx - Lexx Slip-on, Lexx Programmer,K&N Air Filter, Alba Nerf Bars, Honda Racing Skid Plates

Jeckle: 2008 TRX 700xx - AC Racing Full Exhaust, EHS Programmer, K&N Air Filter, Honda Racing Skid Plates, Alba Nerf Bars, K&N Air Filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-06-2012, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
which plates?

trail toy: '09 700xx: trailtech vapor, trailtech X bars, trailtech riser, OURY grips, l8ton 9/16" XL swaybar, CCP Stabilizer, 23" Razr front,24" bearclaws rear, fmf q4 slip-on, EHS programmer, EHS lid, powermadd handguards, Honda Racing skids, PRM 6 pack rack, 6000k HID's

lake toy: 98 Kawasaki ZXI 1100 jet ski, mostly stock

big toy: 2011 GMC 2500 duramax CCLB 4x4, a few mods but mostly stock
post #3 of 14 Old 01-06-2012, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAggie09 View Post
which plates?
The "Main Plate" and "Rear Plate" (swing arm some call it).

If ya got a diagram in pdf or something that would be great. My set came with a mess of bolts, washers, brackets, etc. And no directions.

Thanks,
Shonie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Heckle: 2008 TRX 700xx - Lexx Slip-on, Lexx Programmer,K&N Air Filter, Alba Nerf Bars, Honda Racing Skid Plates

Jeckle: 2008 TRX 700xx - AC Racing Full Exhaust, EHS Programmer, K&N Air Filter, Honda Racing Skid Plates, Alba Nerf Bars, K&N Air Filter

post #4 of 14 Old 01-06-2012, 09:54 PM

I havent figured out the back plate ("swing arm"), but the main plate goes on fairly easy.

First, remove the stock plastic "skid plate" and front bumper (note: try not to pull the drain tube out of the engine). Next, line up skid plate and install front bolt just to hold it in place (this is where the bottom bolt of the three that held the bumper on went, and is the largest diameter bolt in the kit). Now, There are three longer bolts should have come in the hardware kit. These go in where the original bolts were that held the stock plastic skid plate on. This should leave 2 mounting holes left in the skid plate. These are where the curved mounts go (the same ones that hold the front a-arm skid plates on if you have them).

I hope that makes sense, im kinda bad at explaining things. If you need some more help ill try to post some pictures tomorrow.

It helps a lot to just lightly tighten everything down at first as a mock-up. That way you can put in the little cushions in that came with the kit. Although, they really dont do much as mine still rattle.

trail toy: '09 700xx: trailtech vapor, trailtech X bars, trailtech riser, OURY grips, l8ton 9/16" XL swaybar, CCP Stabilizer, 23" Razr front,24" bearclaws rear, fmf q4 slip-on, EHS programmer, EHS lid, powermadd handguards, Honda Racing skids, PRM 6 pack rack, 6000k HID's

post #5 of 14 Old 01-06-2012, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Mine came with a 2 different size (thickness) washers. They are pretty hefty washers, not your typical flat washers. some are as thick as 3 quarters (money) stacked. And the rest are like 2 quarters stacked. Do these go in between the plate and brackets?

I also got like 2-3 small plastic washers too. And a whole mess of those brackets that go on the frame where the bolts go into them to hold on the frame. I'm seriously thinking of using some sort of thread lock on the bolts so they don't come loose. The last thing I want is one of my skid plates coming off while I'm riding. Could cause some serious damage to me and my bike.

As far as the rattling, I was thinking of gluing some kind of rubber or something between the plate and frame to minimize rattle. The kit came with some black foam pieces with adhesive backs, but I seriously doubt that they will last very long considering all the sand and mud I go through.

I'm one of those "visual learners" so I really need some sort of diagram or pictures to figure this out.

If I ever come across some directions in PDF format of something on how to install these, I'll be sure to post it. Some how I doubt I'm the only one that could use some visual directions on how to install these.

I really appreciate your help. I'm gonna give it a try again tomorrow. I also have a LEXX programmer I have to install on my bike as well. Hopefully that should be easier to install and setup. Man I hope so....

Funny.....I used to be a auto/diesel mechanic.

Thanks!
Shonie

post #6 of 14 Old 01-07-2012, 10:09 AM

Haha, yea i was a diesel mechanic for a while as well. Ill get you some pictures later on today. I actually didnt even use the washers (probably why it rattles).

I found a guy that has some instructions for the rear piece, gonna see if he can scan it and email it to me. If so, ill post it up.

Last edited by TxAggie09; 01-07-2012 at 10:12 AM.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-07-2012, 11:32 AM

the guy didnt have a scanner but said he would mail the directions on monday. Once i get them in ill post it up

post #8 of 14 Old 01-07-2012, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

I got it all on today. It took a few hours, but I figured it all out. I took a lot of hi-rez pictures during the install. So I'm gonna put together a PDF file with step by step instructions on how to put these on. Maybe it will come in handy for someone.

I've got quite a few extra brackets and bolts left over from the kit. I'm pretty sure I was given way more than I needed. But it's good to have them just in case I loose a bracket or two down the road.

Those thick washers are what you need when bolting the plate down to the frame. They take up the free space in between the plate and the frame. That's probably why your rattles.

After I installed my plates, they didn't rattle a bit. They went on good and firm. I'm sure they may loosen up a bit over time, but I'm pretty sure they will stay nice and snug.

I had to do a few mods when installing the (swing arm) rear plate.

The first mod:I cut up an inner tube and put 2 layers of inner tube around the frame where the front of the plate wraps around the frame. I wrapped the inner tube with a few layers of black electrical tape and then installed the rear plate with the bolts and brackets. When I had first put it on, the plate was really loose and rattled a lot. This mod took care of it. I took pics of this mod.

2nd mod: To bolt down the rear of the plate I had to use 2 bolts and some of those thick washers and buy some washers and nuts to bolt it to the frame. I'm sure there was suppose to be the necessary hardware in the kit to do this, but there weren't any. I also took pics of this mod as well.

All in all the installation took me about 3 hours. I test drove it and no rattle at all. After test driving it I rechecked all the bolts for tightness and they were fine. I will keep checking them after a few rides to make sure they are ok.

All I need now are the rear control arm plates and the entire bottom of my 700xx will be fully protected.

I also installed my Lexx fuel programmer. Install and set up was a breeze. This little thing make a world of difference! This should have been the first thing I should have put on my 700xx.

I'll get busy on the Honda Racing Plates instructions on Monday. I'll upload it here for peeps to review and I'll be open for any corrections that may be.

I really appreciate your help! Thanks!

Shonie

post #9 of 14 Old 01-07-2012, 10:11 PM

good to hear man. I may try putting in the washers and seeing if it makes a difference with the rattle.
Also good to hear that you like the Lexx programmer. I just installed the EHS programmer and lid but havent had a chance to get out and try it to see what difference it makes.

post #10 of 14 Old 01-09-2012, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Ok folks, here's some directions on how to install Honda Racing Skid Plates.

I put this together last night with the pictures I took during my install and compiled it to a 4 page PDF file. I tried uploading it here to this web site but unfortunately this site won't let me. So, I uploaded the directions to my web site and you can download them here:

Honda Racing Skid Plate Installation
(*right click and save as to your computer)

I tried my best to explain the installation the best I could with the pictures I took during my install. I am open to "constructive critisim" if you happen to see something I may have done wrong or could have done better. I will do my best to remedy the issue(s) in the directions.

I hope these directions help others that may need some help installing Honda Racing Skid Plates. I would have loved to had these directions when I was doing my install.

My skid plates are holding up really well and so far I have had no issues as of yet. Best of all I have no rattle from them at all!

A big thanks to TxAggie09 for your help!

Shonie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode