Sport Touring Muffler Install - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-07-2013, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sport Touring Muffler Install

When I bought my 700 it was completely stock. I dodn't really care for the stock muffler sound, looks, or how restrictive it is. I bought a HMF performance muffler form a forum member, but my PRM rack was in the way, plus it was way too loud for the area I live in, even with the quiet core.

I did some searching, and all the slip ons are over $200 for something that would be quiet and high quality. My buddy has a Yamaha FJR1300 sport touring bike, and after looking at the mufflers it has, I figured I could make one of those work. So I picked up a right hand FJR1300 muffler on Ebay for $25! They are 1300cc bikes and have 2 mufflers, so 650cc through each, right? Only way to see if it will work is to try it.

The plan: use the clamp section, and brackets from the old muffler to make the new muffler fit.

A little longer than stock, but about the same weight. Looks better too IMHO.

It does have a CAT, so it'll be interesting to see if that affects anything

Cut all the brackets off the stock muffler, mocked it up, then tack welded everything in place

Then took it off and welded everything securely

Masked off the muffler then painted all the welds, stock brackets, and stock piece of pipe

Then added heat wrap to the pipe section since the rest of the exhaust is also heat wrapped.

All bolted up and ready to be tested

The result: A lot better flow than stock, a lot quieter than stock, but with a really cool performance sound. I was able to take it out for a ride today and noticed a bit better response, low end torque, and maybe a little more top end. I have a short video, but need to upload it.

Just hadn't seen this done before, so I wanted to post it here and see what everyone thinks.

08 TRX700XX: EHS Racing EFI Controller, Lid Mod, 12T/36T Gearing, Trail Tech Dashboard/Risers, Trail Tech Vapor, Tusk Chub 1 1/8" ATV High Bend Bars, PRM Aluminum 6-Pack Rack, 23"/24" Kenda Bear Claws.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-07-2013, 09:47 PM

I think its a good thing you have that 6 pack rack. That silencer is long. It does look much better than the oem oil drum they used on these quads. Looking forward to hearing a sound clip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 710XX
+3mm HotRods stroker crank
CP 11:1 piston
Port & Polish (myself)
HotCam 3
Velocity intake
Barker exhaust (w/ QC and sparky)
PCV (dyno tuned)
Pro Armor nerf bars, Kenda Kutters (x4), CCP stabalizer
post #3 of 8 Old 03-08-2013, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
cool thats the first ive heard anyone doing that on a xx !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
08 700XX PRM Six Pack Rack Hardline hour meter EHS EFI Controller EHS Lid with side vents Barker Full Exhaust Uni Air Filter alba nerfs elka stg4 fronts sti rims kutter front gbcxrex rear

post #4 of 8 Old 03-08-2013, 07:20 AM

The 6 pack rack ? Where can i purchase the one u have?
Did u have to rearange? The rear light?

LAKERS
post #5 of 8 Old 03-08-2013, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike700xx2008 View Post
The 6 pack rack ? Where can i purchase the one u have?
Did u have to rearange? The rear light?
I got it from this company:

http://www.prm-atv.com/index.php/hon.../trx700xx.html

It has a mount where you can re-locate the stock light below the rack, but I mounted my license plate there. I just added a LED trailer brake light on the rear of the rack(as you can see in the second to last picture).

08 TRX700XX: EHS Racing EFI Controller, Lid Mod, 12T/36T Gearing, Trail Tech Dashboard/Risers, Trail Tech Vapor, Tusk Chub 1 1/8" ATV High Bend Bars, PRM Aluminum 6-Pack Rack, 23"/24" Kenda Bear Claws.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-09-2013, 08:26 PM

very cool and you can't beat 25 bucks for a slip on
post #7 of 8 Old 06-27-2013, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Not bad... I like the look of it compared to the stock muffler. Just a question did you re-tune the engine after installing the muffler? How did it perform compared to its stock muffler?
post #8 of 8 Old 10-08-2013, 07:43 AM

Its good and reliable for me that 700 is one of the best choices of all the others I want to buy the stock muffler.. I hope I will...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode