Just picked up a near new 700 XX - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-11-2018, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey guys, I was excited to find there is still an active forum for these bikes.

I just picked up a 700 xx that has only been driven 2 or 3 times in the last 10 years.
The guy I bought it from was the original owner, he took it to the sand dunes once, then sent it into a performance shop to have a high compression piston, stage III hot cam, port and polish along with an EHS Intake, tuner and a barker exhaust.

I am used to 450 quads so when I first took this out I was very impressed with how smooth the ride was. I was also shocked with how terribly this thing corners.

But as soon as I got off the fire roads and onto the rough trail I had a huge grin on my face. Makes me want to turn this thing into something.

So my question is, How can I make this thing into the ultimate all around quad. I live in Utah and ride the dunes, desert and aggressive trails.

I am open to putting a long travel kit on it if that’s what it takes. Or just put a new suspension around it.

I don’t mind putting a bit of money into it, I just want to know what is worth doing and what is not. I feel like the motor has plenty of power although I think it’s geared a little bit too high. I’m not really worried about engine mods, I just want to improve the handling and stability.

Also would like to get some Nerf bars for it, who makes those still?

Thanks again for any input. Super excited to take this out again.

Last edited by Mondaytown; 08-11-2018 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-13-2018, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
As for nerfs, there's another member selling a set: https://www.club700xx.com/vb/11-atv-...ere-nerfs.html

For cornering, people have done a larger anti-sway bar (I think Dayton Lock on the facebook group was the last to make some).
post #3 of 6 Old 08-14-2018, 05:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I am a recent purchaser of a 700xx as well (April). I assume yours has the stock shocks? My opinion is very much like yours. I have not been able to find an after market sway bar but I believe that would help the handling . My 700 has elka stage 3 shocks and it handles pretty well but it does feel weird on some trails and different surfaces. I found with cornering it is better to take the inside line of a turn instead of trying to slide the turn from the outside line like you would on a SRA atv. Mine will bite the inside line and hold the line surprisingly well. Alba still sells nerfbars. I bought a set but have not installed them yet. Be aware that if you have front tires larger than 22 inches that there can be clearance issue with some brands of nerfbars. I common mod is to use a front sprocket that is 1 tooth smaller than stock to lower the gearing. I think that is 13 tooth. I think it is still too fast even with that.

2017 Honda TRX500 Rubicon
2013 Husaberg FE350
2008 Honda TRX700XX
1995 Honda TRX 300EX
2001 Honda TRX 90
1986 Honda TRX 70
1985 ATC 250 SX

post #4 of 6 Old 08-14-2018, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the referral, I just sent him a message.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-14-2018, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footy View Post
I am a recent purchaser of a 700xx as well (April). I assume yours has the stock shocks? My opinion is very much like yours. I have not been able to find an after market sway bar but I believe that would help the handling . My 700 has elka stage 3 shocks and it handles pretty well but it does feel weird on some trails and different surfaces. I found with cornering it is better to take the inside line of a turn instead of trying to slide the turn from the outside line like you would on a SRA atv. Mine will bite the inside line and hold the line surprisingly well. Alba still sells nerfbars. I bought a set but have not installed them yet. Be aware that if you have front tires larger than 22 inches that there can be clearance issue with some brands of nerfbars. I common mod is to use a front sprocket that is 1 tooth smaller than stock to lower the gearing. I think that is 13 tooth. I think it is still too fast even with that.

This was great information, did you have the stock shocks on before? How much of a difference did it make?

Yes I still am running the stock shocks.
I did double check and I am running a smaller gear out front. It still feels too tall especially in higher gears. I might try a smaller front sprocket or a bigger one out back.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-14-2018, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondaytown View Post
This was great information, did you have the stock shocks on before? How much of a difference did it make?

Yes I still am running the stock shocks.
I did double check and I am running a smaller gear out front. It still feels too tall especially in higher gears. I might try a smaller front sprocket or a bigger one out back.
I never rode mine with the stock shocks so I have no opinion on those. My 700 feels too fast(geared too hi) even with the smaller C/S sprocket. I feel like I need to be ready to grab the clutch any time I am in technical terrain.

2017 Honda TRX500 Rubicon
2013 Husaberg FE350
2008 Honda TRX700XX
1995 Honda TRX 300EX
2001 Honda TRX 90
1986 Honda TRX 70
1985 ATC 250 SX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode