User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 Old 01-28-2019, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
From MN and shopping for an ATV

Avid snowmobiler and biker, joined looking for a trail machine to be used mostly locally in MN.

I've never had anyone to ride with and due to that hadn't considered owning a machine. That being said, I recently have a new neighbor and friend that has a Sportsman 850. His riding buddies have similar large 4wd machines. I'd like to buy a machine to ride with them, but when I asked about a 2wd machine their comment was that their machines were like couches on rough trails and that I'd get beat to hell on a 2wd machine. I would never buy a couch on wheels, but want something that is FUN. A quick bit of research and I realized why they reacted that way. My assumption was that most 2wd machines would be IRS...but that is not the case. My search led me here and to the Poo 525 IRS as they are the only real 2wd IRS options. The Poo looks like a smaller machine, has the nearly one off KTM motor, and I suspect it won't age as well as the bigger 700XX.

So why do I think I want a 2wd machine? I want to mimic the fun I have on my snowmobile. I ride a modified snocross machine that is at home clearing road approaches and pounding the ditch. Lofting the skis/front wheels and getting the machine to fly is high on my priority list. I can't see that being easy on an 800lb machine. I am too old to be too extreme, but as playful as possible is my goal. Since I am in my mid-40's I am pretty sure that starting out on a SRA machine will just make me sore and take some of the fun out. I've been reading threads on here religiously for the past week and think I understand the mods that will take to make me happy. I have zero problems wrenching and customizing the machine. My sled has had every bolt/rivet removed/changed/modified to fit my riding style. Just here to learn and then share if I go down the road of the 700xx. One other caveat, I am 6'6" and 210lbs. Many of the sport quads feel too small for me...I haven't yet seen a 700xx in person, but if it fits and you guys don't talk me out of it I suspect it is the path I will take.

Looking forward to interacting with you all.

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 01-28-2019, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deephaven View Post
Avid snowmobiler and biker, joined looking for a trail machine to be used mostly locally in MN.

I've never had anyone to ride with and due to that hadn't considered owning a machine. That being said, I recently have a new neighbor and friend that has a Sportsman 850. His riding buddies have similar large 4wd machines. I'd like to buy a machine to ride with them, but when I asked about a 2wd machine their comment was that their machines were like couches on rough trails and that I'd get beat to hell on a 2wd machine. I would never buy a couch on wheels, but want something that is FUN. A quick bit of research and I realized why they reacted that way. My assumption was that most 2wd machines would be IRS...but that is not the case. My search led me here and to the Poo 525 IRS as they are the only real 2wd IRS options. The Poo looks like a smaller machine, has the nearly one off KTM motor, and I suspect it won't age as well as the bigger 700XX.

So why do I think I want a 2wd machine? I want to mimic the fun I have on my snowmobile. I ride a modified snocross machine that is at home clearing road approaches and pounding the ditch. Lofting the skis/front wheels and getting the machine to fly is high on my priority list. I can't see that being easy on an 800lb machine. I am too old to be too extreme, but as playful as possible is my goal. Since I am in my mid-40's I am pretty sure that starting out on a SRA machine will just make me sore and take some of the fun out. I've been reading threads on here religiously for the past week and think I understand the mods that will take to make me happy. I have zero problems wrenching and customizing the machine. My sled has had every bolt/rivet removed/changed/modified to fit my riding style. Just here to learn and then share if I go down the road of the 700xx. One other caveat, I am 6'6" and 210lbs. Many of the sport quads feel too small for me...I haven't yet seen a 700xx in person, but if it fits and you guys don't talk me out of it I suspect it is the path I will take.

Looking forward to interacting with you all.

Sean
Welcome,
700xx is fun like a motorcycle,
it has 5 gears,
and reverse.
If all your friends have 4x4
and they travel in deep mud,
you have no great possibilities.
But on dry land roads, and things like that,
700xx is a king
post #3 of 66 Old 01-28-2019, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome!

If they only want to hit mud holes I don't want to ride with them. I realize there are mudholes on trails and in ditches and I am fine battling through that. Fun like a motorcycle is perfect!

post #4 of 66 Old 01-28-2019, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the club

If your buddy's are comparing there rides as being on a couch. You will most likely fall asleep several times per ride waiting on them, to catch back up if your on a 700xx. With decent tire this quad will go through mud and off camber trails w/out a issue. I agree with you about the other sport quads feeling smaller. They also seam like riding a toy, compared to the 700xx it's a beast! @6'6" you will most likely want to get a riser for the handle bars. Also you might know if you find one of these for sale, if it's not already modified, you will have difficulties finding after market parts. As a lot of the larger company's have discontinued producing parts for this 2 yr only 10yr old model. There's still plenty of availability of oem parts. Where you live you may want to look more into the Can-am Renegade, since it sounds like the Polaris Scrambler may not interest you. They sale those two quads as a cross over sport quad, but if you ask me there's nothing sporty about them. Both are automatics but you can have fun on them.

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, DG 6 Pack Rack, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 66 Old 01-28-2019, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Part availability was a concern, but it seems ok.

Here is a list of things I'd do off the top of my head.:
DS450 shocks - revalve locally
Sway bar...if I have to build my own so be it although there is one left for sale on the site
Riser, plenty on the market
Custom seat cover/riser - can make my own with the help of the W
New tires
Big 3 - worst case I fab an intake, controller is available and there seem to be plenty of used pipes.

Down the road - I see Wiseco's available including in larger bore on Ebay along with Cams. Porting can be done locally.

The other things I would do are universal to any ride. Did I miss something?

As for the couch comment, I've ridden sleds with my neighbor and while he didn't completely keep up he gave it a valiant effort. First ride on a sled in 10 years and I got him a few feet off the ground a couple times while managing an average speed of over 40 on terrain that most riders wouldn't average 30. Took him in the ditch to bang road approaches which with plowing and such can really slow you down.
post #6 of 66 Old 01-28-2019, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

I don't really want a Can Am or a Scrambler. The power sounds fun, but 800lbs of weight ruins that. Made the same choice on my sled. Shave 20% of hp but 35% of weight. Way more fun.

You have me somewhat scared on parts. Are there many one off's in either the tranny, motor or chassis that you think will become hard to get?
post #7 of 66 Old 01-28-2019, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Garage
OEM parts are not a issue. It's just aftermarket stuff, like bumpers, nerf bars, skid plates, A-arm guards, rear grab bars, 6pack & utility racks, + size steering stems. I'm sure I'm missing a few, but you get the idea.

Exhaust isn't a problem either. And there's even still a couple options on front arms out there. Elka & fox still make shocks for the 700 as well.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, DG 6 Pack Rack, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 66 Old 01-28-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Someone could sell me a built one off the forum
post #9 of 66 Old 01-28-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

More seriously I appreciate the welcome. I look forward to owning one of these beasts. In high snowmobiling season now so I am not in a hurry, but I have money plopped aside that is burning a proverbial hole in my pocket.
post #10 of 66 Old 01-28-2019, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Welcome to the club! I was where you are now a year ago but for a different reason. I had a canam 800 which I loved but it had a major frame failure and the expense to fix it was too much. I think this was due to the 800 lbs that you mentioned and riding it pretty aggressively. So I bought the 700xx. The 700 I bought already had elka stage 3 shocks. I thought it gave a very smooth ride but handling was odd and vague. I did figure out how to ride it but it is a handful when going fast. My previous canam XXC handled better but did not ride as smooth and the 700 jumps way better. I believe 90% of my handling issues is due to the tiny rear sway bar that the 700 comes with from honda. I now have a larger sway bar and when I get a full day of riding with it I will provide a report on the handling.
So far I have purchased the following new parts in the past 10 months:
DG cooler rack
Full Ricochet skid plates and CV boot guards
OMF beadlock 10 inch rear wheels
Alba nerf bars
D2 end cap for stock exhaust
Larger sway bar

I do think the renegade XXC would be a good possible choice for you if $ is not an issue.

I will say these 700's seem to run hot. I am planning to try a few mods to help with that.

2017 Honda TRX500 Rubicon
2013 Husaberg FE350
2008 Honda TRX700XX
1995 Honda TRX 300EX
2001 Honda TRX 90
1986 Honda TRX 70
1985 ATC 250 SX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode