Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

From MN and shopping for an ATV

14K views 65 replies 7 participants last post by  Deephaven 
#1 ·
Avid snowmobiler and biker, joined looking for a trail machine to be used mostly locally in MN.

I've never had anyone to ride with and due to that hadn't considered owning a machine. That being said, I recently have a new neighbor and friend that has a Sportsman 850. His riding buddies have similar large 4wd machines. I'd like to buy a machine to ride with them, but when I asked about a 2wd machine their comment was that their machines were like couches on rough trails and that I'd get beat to hell on a 2wd machine. I would never buy a couch on wheels, but want something that is FUN. A quick bit of research and I realized why they reacted that way. My assumption was that most 2wd machines would be IRS...but that is not the case. My search led me here and to the Poo 525 IRS as they are the only real 2wd IRS options. The Poo looks like a smaller machine, has the nearly one off KTM motor, and I suspect it won't age as well as the bigger 700XX.

So why do I think I want a 2wd machine? I want to mimic the fun I have on my snowmobile. I ride a modified snocross machine that is at home clearing road approaches and pounding the ditch. Lofting the skis/front wheels and getting the machine to fly is high on my priority list. I can't see that being easy on an 800lb machine. I am too old to be too extreme, but as playful as possible is my goal. Since I am in my mid-40's I am pretty sure that starting out on a SRA machine will just make me sore and take some of the fun out. I've been reading threads on here religiously for the past week and think I understand the mods that will take to make me happy. I have zero problems wrenching and customizing the machine. My sled has had every bolt/rivet removed/changed/modified to fit my riding style. Just here to learn and then share if I go down the road of the 700xx. One other caveat, I am 6'6" and 210lbs. Many of the sport quads feel too small for me...I haven't yet seen a 700xx in person, but if it fits and you guys don't talk me out of it I suspect it is the path I will take.

Looking forward to interacting with you all.

Sean

See less See more
#4 ·
Welcome to the club :tup:

If your buddy's are comparing there rides as being on a couch. You will most likely fall asleep several times per ride waiting on them, to catch back up if your on a 700xx. With decent tire this quad will go through mud and off camber trails w/out a issue. I agree with you about the other sport quads feeling smaller. They also seam like riding a toy, compared to the 700xx it's a beast! @6'6" you will most likely want to get a riser for the handle bars. Also you might know if you find one of these for sale, if it's not already modified, you will have difficulties finding after market parts. As a lot of the larger company's have discontinued producing parts for this 2 yr only 10yr old model. There's still plenty of availability of oem parts. Where you live you may want to look more into the Can-am Renegade, since it sounds like the Polaris Scrambler may not interest you. They sale those two quads as a cross over sport quad, but if you ask me there's nothing sporty about them. Both are automatics but you can have fun on them.

#5 ·
Part availability was a concern, but it seems ok.

Here is a list of things I'd do off the top of my head.:
DS450 shocks - revalve locally
Sway bar...if I have to build my own so be it although there is one left for sale on the site
Riser, plenty on the market
Custom seat cover/riser - can make my own with the help of the W
New tires
Big 3 - worst case I fab an intake, controller is available and there seem to be plenty of used pipes.

Down the road - I see Wiseco's available including in larger bore on Ebay along with Cams. Porting can be done locally.

The other things I would do are universal to any ride. Did I miss something?

As for the couch comment, I've ridden sleds with my neighbor and while he didn't completely keep up he gave it a valiant effort. First ride on a sled in 10 years and I got him a few feet off the ground a couple times while managing an average speed of over 40 on terrain that most riders wouldn't average 30. Took him in the ditch to bang road approaches which with plowing and such can really slow you down.

#6 ·
I don't really want a Can Am or a Scrambler. The power sounds fun, but 800lbs of weight ruins that. Made the same choice on my sled. Shave 20% of hp but 35% of weight. Way more fun.

You have me somewhat scared on parts. Are there many one off's in either the tranny, motor or chassis that you think will become hard to get?

#7 ·
OEM parts are not a issue. It's just aftermarket stuff, like bumpers, nerf bars, skid plates, A-arm guards, rear grab bars, 6pack & utility racks, + size steering stems. I'm sure I'm missing a few, but you get the idea.

Exhaust isn't a problem either. And there's even still a couple options on front arms out there. Elka & fox still make shocks for the 700 as well.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Welcome to the club! I was where you are now a year ago but for a different reason. I had a canam 800 which I loved but it had a major frame failure and the expense to fix it was too much. I think this was due to the 800 lbs that you mentioned and riding it pretty aggressively. So I bought the 700xx. The 700 I bought already had elka stage 3 shocks. I thought it gave a very smooth ride but handling was odd and vague. I did figure out how to ride it but it is a handful when going fast. My previous canam XXC handled better but did not ride as smooth and the 700 jumps way better. I believe 90% of my handling issues is due to the tiny rear sway bar that the 700 comes with from honda. I now have a larger sway bar and when I get a full day of riding with it I will provide a report on the handling.
So far I have purchased the following new parts in the past 10 months:
DG cooler rack
Full Ricochet skid plates and CV boot guards
OMF beadlock 10 inch rear wheels
Alba nerf bars
D2 end cap for stock exhaust
Larger sway bar

I do think the renegade XXC would be a good possible choice for you if $ is not an issue.

I will say these 700's seem to run hot. I am planning to try a few mods to help with that.

#11 ·
Fyi, the renegades only weigh 700lbs. The 850 slightly under and the 1000 is slightly over. Also they have 78hp and 91hp. The 700xx weighs 500 lbs and has around 40hp.

#14 ·
Double hp is tough. My weight premise is based on sleds. Mine is around 450lbs with 160hp and comparing it to a 590lb Turbo with 200hp it is no comparison. The turbo is fun in a straight line and on lakes, but sucks pounding the ditch and trails. I want a ditch and trail ATV as well. The big 4wd frighten me as my expectation is that they will not be as much fun. Are you implying differently? I am not going to be able to test ride a 700xx before buying it to compare, but have to assume I am not too far off base.

You should find out if this one is still available. U ship would bring it to MN for around $600 give or take a little.

https://www.club700xx.com/vb/10-atvs-sale/33736-2008-honda-700xx-sale.html

If I had not found mine a few months earlier, this one would be sitting in my garage.
I sent him an email. Post is old...

Am I over reading into the posts. Sounds like you guys are trying to talk me out of the 700xx. I expected the opposite on a forum so perhaps it is refreshing, but if I am off base call me out please!

#16 ·
This one doesn't look like it has been loved to me...but I like the IMS tank and taller seat/bars.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/snw/d/washburn-2008-honda-trx-700xx/6782203030.html

This one looks cleaner, but of course that is because it is clean. Considering the green grass they are using an old picture.
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/snw/d/chippewa-falls-08-honda-700xx/6803333948.html

Both are within 2 hours of me and ok to look at. I will start a new thread on things to check....going to search for one first.

#23 ·
This one doesn't look like it has been loved to me...but I like the IMS tank and taller seat/bars.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/snw/d/washburn-2008-honda-trx-700xx/6782203030.html

This one looks cleaner, but of course that is because it is clean. Considering the green grass they are using an old picture.
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/snw/d/chippewa-falls-08-honda-700xx/6803333948.html

Both are within 2 hours of me and ok to look at. I will start a new thread on things to check....going to search for one first.

Yeah I agree, 1st one looks bts idk if I'd even consider it.

#20 ·
Means the power to weight ratio is rather similar with me on the Scrambler or TRX (39.5kW on the 700xx and the '13 era 850 have about 57kW => ratio within 1% of each other ). Either way, as with sleds I've found that it isn't always fastest to ride the one that goes the fastest. Agility is worth a ton and even if they have to wait for me (lol) I will be having more fun in the ride which is what it is all about.

Across the US on Craigslist (yes I am nuts enough to search everywhere) there are about 40 700XX's for sale. None of them have upgraded shocks amusingly. Personally if I buy a stock unit, the better maintained and cared for one will win.

#26 ·
That hp number is at the crank.

The 2nd craigslist post almost looks like its one of those fake ads the way it is worded.

I am also from MN. I enjoy riding the Northwoods trail system. Not a big fan of riding the Soo Line but it connects all the trail systems. Foxy trail is about 1.5 miles long but is all single track. Red Top has some nice single track trails and some open areas, trail on northeast is sandy. Solana forest has about 15 miles of trail. There are no major mud holes on this system. They have rock bottoms in the water holes and they have board walks in the wetland areas. Moose Lake has a pit area that is good for about 30 minutes of riding. Lawler Loops are fun and single track as well. Then futher northwest is the Blind Lake Connector and the Hill City connector. I have not ridden the UPM Blandin trail. Eventually there will be a connector trail from Jacobson to Goodland which you could ride all the way up to Pengilly.

My 700xx the counter balancer wieght shifted on the shaft so I have the cases split and replacing the bearings and putting in a stroker crank. I work 75-80 hours a week and have 3 kids so finding time to work on the quad is tough. Plus it's too dahm cold right now and I don't have heat in the garage.

Sway bar, front shocks and steering stabilizer are my top 3 mods for the quad.

#27 ·
Sounds like another vote for the 700xx from someone in your home state!

#28 ·
I will put in my 2 cents about how I ended up with a 700xx. Back in 2009 I had an LTR450 that was setup for XC racing (still had harescrambles in MN at that time). I had fallen in love with the KTM 525XC. I sold off a lot of the parts and then the quad with hopes of buying the KTM. By the time all the parts and quad sold the KTM was no longer an option. I then started looking at KFX450R's and TRX450R's. I went to the International motorcycle show in February of 2010 and was hoping that the TRX450R and KFX450R would be there to sit on and compare. The KFX450R was a no show. Honda had both the TRX450R and the TRX700XX sitting next to each other. I felt more comfortable on the 700XX so I started doing some research and found that dealers were selling them at awesome prices. I got mine from Larson Cycle in Cambridge the next week for $5250 OTD.

Where the 700xx shines is in trail riding. You can ride it all day. A couple years ago I rode from Red Top to Hill City and back. Started riding at 8am and got back about 7pm. Roughly 280 miles.

I haven't had much seat time on the quad since I put the Elka stage 4's on. Maybe once I have them dialed in I will feel more comfortable racing the 700xx.

This summer's goal is to get my quad back together so I can ride it this fall before the snow hits.

I also have a Kawasaki KFX700 for something to ride until the 700xx is back together.

#29 ·
I do like my 700xx and I am gelling with it more with each ride. I will say one thing about it that I absolutely hate is the lack of splash protection for the rider. This is a real world problem. When I ride it is usually long days and lots of miles in WV. The trails there have lots of water on them. I have added a few home made splash guards that help but I still get soaked during each ride. The renegade has larger fenders but you will still get wet on those too. But... there are very good aftermarket fender flares (D2 and BRP) that can be installed which solves the splash problem on the renegade. There are no such options for the 700XX. I think this issue is at least as big as the stock rear sway bar that doesn't do the job that it was designed to do.

#32 ·
Tires and shocks are high on my priority list. I've read as many threads here as I can find on the shocks and while the Elka solution looks glorious, it is hard to go into a purchase on a machine like this knowing I would spend that much. That being said, I really am a big fan of adjustability on my shocks. Compression for sure and rebound is an added bonus. Most of what I have found basically say rebuild/revalve the stock rears or buy Fox Podiums, Elkas and one reference to HLS essentials. Obviously taking the rears to my shock guy is fine, but I know myself. I will end up taking them there 4 times to really dial everything in as my OCD kicks in. For that reason alone I would love adjustable units on the rear. Can I assume the solutions above are currently the only recommendations? If that is the case does someone know the overall length and travel of the rears?

I found this drawing from [MENTION=2892]Dannyboy[/MENTION] but can't say I am positive I can answer my question above with it.
I am guessing that it is 19.75" overall, with 13.5" being compressed. Looks like the mounts are 1 5/8". Did I read that right?

#34 ·
Tires and shocks are high on my priority list. I've read as many threads here as I can find on the shocks and while the Elka solution looks glorious, it is hard to go into a purchase on a machine like this knowing I would spend that much. That being said, I really am a big fan of adjustability on my shocks. Compression for sure and rebound is an added bonus. Most of what I have found basically say rebuild/revalve the stock rears or buy Fox Podiums, Elkas and one reference to HLS essentials. Obviously taking the rears to my shock guy is fine, but I know myself. I will end up taking them there 4 times to really dial everything in as my OCD kicks in. For that reason alone I would love adjustable units on the rear. Can I assume the solutions above are currently the only recommendations? If that is the case does someone know the overall length and travel of the rears?

I found this drawing from [MENTION=2892]Dannyboy[/MENTION] but can't say I am positive I can answer my question above with it.

I am guessing that it is 19.75" overall, with 13.5" being compressed. Looks like the mounts are 1 5/8". Did I read that right?
bout that 19.75'' , are you talking shorting the shock ?

#33 ·
Want to make sure I have the tires figured out as well. My understanding is that 23's are better up front but will rub most nerf bars. Curious if anyone has nerf bars that don't rub 23's. If not, I assume the Razr 2 in 22x7x10 is right for the front.
https://www.denniskirk.com/maxxis/front-m933-razr-2-22x7-10-tire-tm00470100.p541653.prd/541653.sku

And for the rears it is either Kenda Kutters or Razr's in 22x10 11
https://www.denniskirk.com/maxxis/rear-m932-razr-22x10-11-tire-tm00208100.p653497.prd/653497.sku
...I don't find a Kenda Kutter in that size however D Kirk says the 9" ones are okay
https://www.denniskirk.com/kenda/rear-kutter-22x9-11-tire-085811771c1.p653431.prd/653431.sku

Personally I would assume wider is better and that means the Razr's.

Then of course I see this:
https://www.davis4x4.com/vehicle-de...rmance-700xx-4a67d7ef3541944880cbefc487fa0803
Not digging the location or the price, but like the wheel setup cosmetically.

Those tires look wider than the wheel but are on bead locks. I assume that is another option although those wheels are not cheap!

#35 ·
I assume that those wheels are hiper brand? I think hiper and OMF are the only option for true bead locks for the 700xx. I chose OMF but I only bought new rear wheels. I went with 10 inch wheels for better tire options. I have been happy with the razr 2 rear tires so far but I have used those before on other atvs. I like the altracks as well that are in your photo but I think those are only 4 ply and the maxxis razr 2 is 6 ply. I have a set of altracks on an old honda ATC.

#36 ·
I assume that those wheels are hiper brand?
Idt so, looks like a cheaper metal not carbon. They almost look like the alba wheels, but idk. I'm wondering what size the rears are?

#37 · (Edited)
ya can get wider rims …...but ….there a problem. you need spacers to make them fit to be narrow . or not and reverse them and be very wide , great for riding dunes not so much on trails .all because the offset on the rims is wrong for the XX

#38 ·
I've looked at this one online about 30x. I keep talking myself out of it. It is a 5 hour drive away and doesn't look like it was treated the way I would treat my stuff. That being said, it comes with the mods I would put on it....minus the fact I would want to pull the wrap off.
https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/snd/d/big-bend-2008-honda-trx-700xx/6800460507.html

It's crazy, because I'd never keep anything that dirty...and it is at a dealer. Scares me on how the previous owner cared about it.

#40 ·
I've looked at this one online about 30x. I keep talking myself out of it. It is a 5 hour drive away and doesn't look like it was treated the way I would treat my stuff. That being said, it comes with the mods I would put on it....minus the fact I would want to pull the wrap off.
https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/snd/d/big-bend-2008-honda-trx-700xx/6800460507.html

It's crazy, because I'd never keep anything that dirty...and it is at a dealer. Scares me on how the previous owner cared about it.

buy & ride
forget the rest!

#39 ·
Keep looking unless they really want to move it cheap. That FMF pipe is a POS. I had one. It sucked so much that I went back to stock. I do like the skid plates and nerf bars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.