Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum

Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum (https://www.club700xx.com/vb/)
-   Member Introductions (https://www.club700xx.com/vb/25-member-introductions/)
-   -   Where Do I start lol (https://www.club700xx.com/vb/25-member-introductions/34078-where-do-i-start-lol.html)

Toma 04-28-2019 08:12 PM

Where Do I start lol

Hi there, been reading these forums for a long time and decided to finally post, I have a 2008 700xx which I got about a year ago and at the time I knew nothing about xx's, the guy said It needed a new power commander and battery so I brung it home and had a better look at it. The wiring was a MESS at the front end as quad was raced specd with also no headlight to protect it all from the elements but we got around to getting it running by taking the faulty pc3 off of the quad and unfortunately at this point I have no idea how important a power commander was seeing as it has a full fmf system on it but I proceeded to use it for probably about 5-6 hours (not at once lol) untill I started experiencing problems with it spluttering at high end which proceeded to get worse untill it stopped running so me and friends spend ages looking for the problem at which point I also found the forum and proceded to order a pc3 thank god lol but yeah I tested things like the fuel system and electrical system figured it must be the ecu which is playing up so ordered a new one for £100+ + £60+ for shipping to the UK then as I went to install it my friend cut the loom to the ecu open about 5 inches up at which point we noticed 1 rusty wire so soldered it and boom it runs fine on the old ecu so set up the pc3 and finally got to ride it again but it was getting pretty hot still and wasn't running all too great and was killing batterys so I have tried changing my fuel map, adjusting valve clearance, oil and filter change then unscrew the oil level check bolt, cleaned fuel pump, checked voltage at battery and stator plug (I believe it was not to specification at stator which could help explain killing batteries) but none of this has really helped and recently I added a quite core to my fmf and not long after it has started spluttering in gear anywhere over like 2.5k like a limp mode. I have a new waiting harness and lights waiting to go on but instead I think I will finally open up the motor and see how bad it is 😬 but Any help or experience would be GREATLY appreciated as I would love to experience it running perfectly one day

Also I don't suppose anyone has a drop link for a sway bar for sale or else it'll end up costing me nearer to £100 with postage

Many thanks, Tom

Toma 04-28-2019 08:29 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here is some pics of it

M_Quick 04-28-2019 09:05 PM

Can you post some more pictures of that rear crash bar?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Deephaven 04-28-2019 10:03 PM

I'd test the compression before doing anything else. If you could more clearly describe exactly when it does what it would help as well. Background helps for avoiding troubleshooting the wrong thing, but really focusing on what it does when and what changed exactly after anything was done to alleviate it would help.

Toma 04-29-2019 04:04 AM

M-quick I'll take some better pictures of it later on.
Deephaven the pressing issue is that it will run and ride just fine for about 10 minutes /until it is hot then suddenly it'll splutter so I'll come to a stop then whenever you try to ride off it'll start bogging/spluttering over 2k rpm and will often just backfire and die but if you put it into neutral it will rev up seemingly fine which is why I think it could be a failsafe and it started happening probably 1 hour of use after installing a exhaust baffle and also I tried making minor adjustments to the fuel map to compensate for the restricted flow and it seemed to run better for the first 10mins but then went straight back to spluttering, I have been meaning to take it for a dyno session but that's easier said than done in the UK

M_Quick 04-29-2019 05:46 AM

When's the last time you put a fresh plug in it?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Deephaven 04-29-2019 08:43 AM

Is it completely fine cold? I'd still test compression before doing anything else other than changing the plug. Other tests, check for voltage at rpm. A weak alternator can cause issues and regular will show up when hot. I'd also ask if the fuel lines are stock. If they are someplace where the fuel can boil (I have no idea how they are routed on the machine) the same issue can surface.

Toma 04-29-2019 09:10 AM

I have never put a fresh plug in actually only cleaned the current one as it has some fancy 4 point high proformance plug lol but I'll try putting a different one in later and yeah it has stock fuel lines but with a extra filter between tank and pump I'll take a picture of that too later and I'll also test the voltage at different rpms and when it is warm and I'll let you know the results

Toma 04-29-2019 09:11 AM

And yes seems to be fine when cold no spluttering for at least 7 mins of riding

Deephaven 04-29-2019 10:54 AM

Positive that the water temp is okay as well? Not some forced limp mode?

...a quick caveat, I am a motor head but have only had a 700xx for a couple weeks and don't know what it does in which situations. Just offering troubleshooting and thoughts I have experienced on other types of machines.