Another newbie - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 09-30-2012, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another newbie

Hi all, I have recently decided to come over to the dark side and ride on 4 wheels after riding on 2 all my life. I am a reasonably experienced and confident rider on 2 wheels and ride big bore bikes my last one being a ktm530. After talking to a well known atv rider over here in New Zealand he recommended I buy a trx700xx. I now have one lined up and will pick it up in a couple of weeks. It is a very low hrs machine and very very tidy almost new looking. The bike is completely stock. I will be putting nerf bars and a front bumper on it and was thinking about a twist grip thottle. Is there anything else I should think about adding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-30-2012, 05:45 PM

Welcome pota,

I would not put on a twist throttle. ATV's are very different than a bike. On a two wheeler you do most of your turning by leaning and less handlebar turn. On an atv its just the opposite. With the handlebars turned to the right it screws with the throttle feel. Not sure if I'm explaining this correctly. In my opinion its harder to get used to a twist throttle than it is to get used to a thumb throttle. I would ride it a bit before dropping the money on a twister.
As far as other mods, the list is endless and will depend greatly on your terrain and ride style. Put some miles on it and see what is bothering you. Low power, poor ride, etc.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-30-2012, 05:49 PM

By the way, the nerf bars are a great idea right off the bat. Especially for a novice atv rider. Running your foot over is not pleasant. I've done it when I was younger. My ankle was the size of a grapefruit!

post #4 of 12 Old 09-30-2012, 05:49 PM

Welcome to the club. You will not regret getting it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
08 700XX Black/Gray
01 90 Yerf Dog
post #5 of 12 Old 09-30-2012, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the club! 1st 2 things I would do if it is bone stock, change air filter to a uni filter. 2nd change the front sprocket to a 13 tooth. And these are both cheap upgrades. Like "easy" said the list goes on and on depending on where and how you ride. After these two cheap upgrades look at the www.L8tonracing.com rear sway bar like $219 I think? Also fuel shut off levers are prone to fall off, so take it off and re-install with some loctite!

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, DG 6 Pack Rack, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-30-2012, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
welcome to the club ! i woul get an dual gasser th,rottle its a twist and thumb and you can switch from one to another on the trail , think theres several versions of them terry cable and moose make them , my opinion is twist isnt that great on an atv except for long smooth places, i came from a dirtbike background also

08 700XX PRM Six Pack Rack Hardline hour meter EHS EFI Controller EHS Lid with side vents Barker Full Exhaust Uni Air Filter alba nerfs elka stg4 fronts sti rims kutter front gbcxrex rear
post #7 of 12 Old 09-30-2012, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice so far. I'll stick to the thumb thottle for the start and see how I like it. I take it that a 13t sprocket is smaller than stock, I will diffinletly do this too as nothing worse than having to slip the shit out of the clutch when in a tight spot. Cheers for the heads up on the fuel taps. Keep it the advice coming it's all appreciated
post #8 of 12 Old 10-01-2012, 03:42 AM

Hey Pota, welcome to the club! Good to see a fellow New Zealander here! Where are you based?

A 13 tooth sprocket (14 is standard) is a great idea, mine cost $29 from the local dealer, they don't list one for the 700 but the cr or crf one is the same.
Sway bar is also a must but bits like that are harder to get over here so I ended up building my own similar to the l8yton one, let me know hoe you get on.
Where are you getting your nerf bars from and how much? would be keen on some of these but haven't had a chance to do any research.
This is an awesome club and full of heaps of handy info, you won't regret joining or buying the 700 its a wicked machine!
post #9 of 12 Old 10-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Sid

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
pota,
Welcome to the forum. Nice to have new members. Enjoy that machine it is amazing. The suggestion about the 13T sprocket for the output shaft is excellent.
Sid
post #10 of 12 Old 10-01-2012, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farm700xx View Post
they don't list one for the 700 but the cr or crf one is the same.
Good info, here I was told to just have them catalog one for the Honda 450r. Any way its easy replacement. One bolt removes it, and then tighten your chain.

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, DG 6 Pack Rack, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode