Hello from Atlanta - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 05-10-2009, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello from Atlanta

I rode my friend's 400ex a few times and got hooked. So I went out and purchased a slightly used 700xx(somebody fliped it on its top side) that is mechanically sound with a few scratches. Good bike for a beginner?

My bike is totally stock for now, but the more threads I read the more I want. My wife doesn't like you guys!! She said I don't even know you guys and you got me spending money on a bike that I don't know if I can handle yet.

Just wanted to say hello! Oh.....I ride at a place called Durham Town. It is between Atlanta and Augusta, GA. 150 miles of trails and a couple of tracks that set up nice for quads(tabletops and short distance doubles).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-11-2009, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
post #3 of 13 Old 05-11-2009, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

I've never owned one. Road trikes (Honda 185s and xc90) a little when I was young and recently used my friends 400ex a couple of times, but that is it. I know it is probably too much of a quad for someone of my experience level, but I've always been an all or nothing guy. I felt like I would out grow the 400ex, so I wanted something that I could keep for the long haul.

I bought the 700xx two weeks ago and I have been out on it once. What a difference between the 400 and the 700.

I'm interested in learning everything about the bike. I'm an engineer, so I can read technical info and grasp it pretty easily and this site has provided a ton of that. I have to look up a lot of what you guys are talking about and read until I understand it. Like I said, I am an all or nothing guy, so I will obsess until I can ride it and understand it.

post #4 of 13 Old 05-11-2009, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta 700xx View Post
I am an all or nothing guy, so I will obsess until I can ride it and understand it.
You've pretty much described me to a "T".

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #5 of 13 Old 05-12-2009, 03:51 AM

Well actually New riders are better suited for this quad, since its alot different then most of the bikes out there. As long as you take it easy at first.

In stock form the TRX700xx will have a bit of Understeer, but once you get new tires front and rear alot of that goes away, getting the bike oh so closer to a neutral handling bike. I like this Neutral because its more predictable at high speeds.

As referance a Solid rear Quad will be heavy on the Oversteer side....most like that because it looks cool.

Riding it you will have to shift your weight a bit more then a Typical quad to help the back end rotate...also to offset some body roll. The TRX700 does have a low center of gravity so you might think it could roll...but from what i experianced..it just slides.

Watch some of the vids and you will get a good idea on the style most use.

And welcome to the site.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-12-2009, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiFfMaN View Post
Well actually New riders are better suited for this quad, since its alot different then most of the bikes out there. As long as you take it easy at first.

In stock form the TRX700xx will have a bit of Understeer, but once you get new tires front and rear alot of that goes away, getting the bike oh so closer to a neutral handling bike. I like this Neutral because its more predictable at high speeds.

As referance a Solid rear Quad will be heavy on the Oversteer side....most like that because it looks cool.

Riding it you will have to shift your weight a bit more then a Typical quad to help the back end rotate...also to offset some body roll. The TRX700 does have a low center of gravity so you might think it could roll...but from what i experianced..it just slides.

Watch some of the vids and you will get a good idea on the style most use.

And welcome to the site.
I'll probably never meet you so I'm going to ask you a couple of stupid questions.

1)What is understeer? Is that when I'm trying to make a low speed turn and the bike seems to push right through it.......front wheels don't seem to grab the ground?

2)What is a neutral handling bike? I have no thoughts on this one.

3)What is body roll? Is this litterally the body of the bike rolling over instead sliding through the turn.

These are the kind of questions that I can't look up on line. I need talk with gearheads and guys with riding experience, both of which I want to be, to get the answers I need. Maybe there are some other idiots out there that have the same questions.

Thanks for the welcome andthanks for ur help!

Peace
post #7 of 13 Old 05-12-2009, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Welcome to the site!
post #8 of 13 Old 05-12-2009, 03:08 PM

1) In the car world we describe Understeer as trying to take a high speed turn and hitting the wall head on....so yes front end push is Understeer. its usally caused because of lack of front traction or excessive rear traction.

2) First off its hard to get perfect Neutral, But in some cases we can get close. Closer to neutral means the less corrections or Overcorrections you need to make to keep the bike tracking strait.

3) Now body roll is is the lean a car or quad makes in a tight turn. Most use this roll as a feeler if you will to when the vehicle will finally start to slide. Excessive roll can be bad...we limit it by shifting our weight. Kinda got to live with roll because of the Independent rear suspension....but its also a strength.

Last edited by BiFfMaN; 05-12-2009 at 03:26 PM.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-12-2009, 03:20 PM

To add to Biff's description of body roll:

Imagine approaching a corner. Your bike is going to want to keep going in a straight line (inertia). Once you begin to turn and your tires go around the corner your bike is still going to have the momentum from before you started turning. So, basically your wheels may be square on the ground but the top of the bike will lean to the outside of the corner because of inertia. So, when turning left, your bike will lean right as you go around the corner. A straight axle limits body roll and allows the bike to slide around a corner. With independent rear suspension, (as Biff said) you must lean in to the corner more to counter the body roll, but it keeps better traction on the rear tires because each tire has its own spring. This allows for better traction when leaving the corner and better acceleration.

Hope this helps, and I didn't ramble on too much...

TRX700XX
-UNI Air Filter
-2Bros Exhaust
-2 Bros Juice Box
-13T Sprocket
-Pro Armor Fat Pegs (Black)
post #10 of 13 Old 05-12-2009, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick replies Biff and Sixpack!! Good descriptions and analogies. Everything makes perfect sense to me now!

I'll use these terms next time I'm around other riders. How's your body roll? or Are you feeling neutral? I'm sure I'll fit in and nobody will realize I'm a novice.

Take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode