Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

raptor lunch

9K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  xx700xx 
#1 ·
:steamed:was riding sunday with some friends and this dude with a predator500 was there i raced him with MY XX and so did my freind with his outlaw 525. we killed the 500, (this was flat feild far as you could see) then this other fella rolled up with this raptor 700, i noticted the dual pipes but what ever ill race, so now its a 525,xx and the rappy, we totallly beat him intill we topped out at about 80-85 and he blew by us, not just passed us but like 100mph fast. talked to the raptor guy his mods were monster pipes,kn filter, fuel controller and high comp piston and stage 2 cam, he thinks that all he has, not said it wont run on pump gas he was running octane booster. i have the big theree and 24 inch rear tires. the 525 has jets and a slip on. lesson learned raptors dont play fair

#2 ·
In a race, there is no "fair",....first one to the end wins.

#3 ·
Agreed!! And if he was able to pull you like that at speed, I'm guessing the guy must have been having a hard time launching that monster.

#12 ·
The 15T makes the XX a completely different type of beast, I had the 13T on, was way to slow IMO, put the 15T on wont go back, accually I'm going to put a 16T on the front with 20 Razrs 2s in the back, or else I may just drop 2 teeth in the back, not sure yet, even the take offs are better with the 15T.

#14 ·
Captamer71, if you lived closer I would run you and you would find out, I would kill my friends XX (with the same mods) when he had the 13T on.

#15 ·
simple fix to this make the race shorter( oh i beat you now were done) remides me of a race i saw between a viper and a z06 corvette. viper ate the corvette alive for almost an entire mile and the vet passed it in the end with just more top end. i would rather be quick than fast. and yes there is a differenve.lol

#18 ·
we race from the bottom of the hill to the top of the hill. which is about 400 feet and at the dunes i see some guys once they pull in front they just stop LOL after like 100 feet but those are the guys with the supped up utility quads that kawasucki praire thing its fast till it tops out at 100-150 feet then if he doesnt stop he gets passed. but why race for over 3-500 feet??? i dont see a 15 tooth being able to beat a 14th tooth till you have went past that distance?

But I will keep a open mind. I guess if you goto a 15th tooth you launch in 1st?

btw i am running a 14th tooth.

#20 ·
I am in uk so road legal..this gives me the advantage that i have had thousands of traffic light take offs so have it perfected..
When i had my 660 raptor i had 12,13,14 front sprockets..
A friend had a stock one too.
Each sprocket change i raced him on road and the surprising thing was that 0-60 was still the same regardless of front sprocket.
A 12 may allow you to shoot off rapidly from standstill, but you loose so much acceleration within the powerband changing gear,whilst the 14 geared is spending more time accelerating in a gear and less time shifting, getting more power down on the road. (i hope you understand what im trying to suggest)
I,ve run 15 front with 24" rears on road and it is far better than any other combination,giving a great 1st gear for taking off and enabling cruising at 60 all day long without revving the guts out of the engine.
I tried a 13t on road and it was not good.
the 15/24" works off road too until the very technical stuff at slow speed, leading to lots of clutch work.
I,m now running 15t and 22" rears as a compromise for on and off road.
I found that a 2" reduction on the rears is very similar to 1 tooth reduction on front.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.