Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

Electrical problem

13K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Baxter 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys!
I have some problems with my XX and i wish someone could help me out before i tear whole bike up and start to look where problem is. :D

I am guite sure that i have bad connection or something somewhere, but i hope to get some suggestions where that bad connection might be.

Problem is like this:
Sometimes bike wont start from ingnition button.
When i push button, all warning lights go out and when i release button lights come on again and fuel pump starts pumping again. Just like when battery has too small power to crank engine.
But when i start bike from starter solenoid, it fires up really nice, so battery is not dead.

Stange thing is that when i star my bike from starter solenoid, i can ride it and everything is ok UNTIL i hit the throttle.
When i accelerate harder engine stalls, warning lights come on and in 2-3 seconds lights go off and engine starts again (rolling start because i have gear on and bike is moving).
Stalling is like somebody turns ignition key off and put it back on again and it happens every time i hit the throttle more aggressive.
Normal riding everything works fine.

Do you guys have any ideas what might cause this?

Juha

See less See more
#3 ·
Electrical is not my thing, but sounds like a short in the starter switch assembly. Maybe find a cheap one on eBay and give it a whirl...? I was hoping someone else would post up. If your good with a meter you should be able to track this down, or maybe get a buddy. I hate electrical, and my Dad was a certified electrician, and brother is a electrical engineer. I guess that explains why I know nothing about it...!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Honda-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item51bfd4aae3&vxp=mtr

#4 ·
I would be looking at the kill switch, what you describe sounds like what happens when you try to start it with the kill switch on. The kill switch on these is a normally closed switch, in other words no connection no run. The switch could just need to be cleaned. May or may not be the root of your evil but something I would check out.

#5 ·
Thanks for ideas!

Skier207:
If problem is on kill switch, would it still start from starter solenoid?
And will fuel pump start to pump if kill switch is positioned "off"?

Could someone check those from you bikes, because here in Finland we only have few XX´s and i do not know any owners....

Thanks for your help!

#6 ·
Couple thoughts.....

All dash lights are on, hit the starter button, all dash lights off, no start....I would look at a relay for the starter or any common grounds from the start button, the relay, the starter.

You obvioulsy have a connection until you pull amperage thru it...Thats usally a ground that is loose, or a bad relay that shorts to ground....

I know very little about ATV wiring, but on a fuel injected car, many of the grounds come back to a single spot. I would start with a starter relay if it has one, and then go for the grounds to the chassis and battery...

#7 ·
Thanks for the tips Dragula!

I am not electrician, but my thoughts are very similar than yours.
I think there is bad connection somewhere.

Poor connect might cause that too when i ride and open throttle to acclerate hard, same thing happens and all indicator lights go out for second or two and engine stalls. And when lights come back again after second or two, engine fires up again if gear is on with rolling start.

I just asked if somebody have had similar problems with their XX and reason has been some bad component or something before i tear up whole bike and wire harness. :D

#8 ·
I have submerged mine and gone through deep water many times, Done 11,500 km and not a single electrical problem..
It certainly sounds like a bad connection somewhere..
Is yours road legal? that adds extra wiring and becomes a tight fit behind the headlight..
I noticed the steering shaft was rubbing on the wiring so put the shaft in a plastic tube to stop it wearing through the surrounding wiring.
First place i would start is have engine running and shake all wiring to see if you can locate area where there is a bad connection..
Look for unsecured wiring that has worn through..

#9 ·
Hello guys!

I finally find time to strip up my XX and try to find what the problem is.
Thanks to you, i have only few places to look.

Like Rappey said, usually there is NO problems with Honda quality and looks like this time problem was also something else than Honda original wires.

I have raced my XX and i have put kill switch to my XX, like they have in sleds (wire to hand and if you fall off, engine will turn off, you know)

Kill swiths was ok, but i have to connect kill switch to original Honda harness through relay.
That relay is somehow broken and electricity cant go through relay as it should.

When i took kill switch and realy off, everything seems to be ok.
I will do test runs next weekend.
But so far so good. Honda is ok, somehow my aftermarket relay NOT!

Thanks for your tips!
You are awesome!

:thanks:

#11 ·
I've had similar issues with starting to which it's so bad now that connecting a car battery to the starter side of the starter solenoid and earth to the frame ,still won't crank over. I'm putting it down to bad earth or dodgy starter. I've ordered a new starter and rewiring all the battery connections.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.