Fuel Pump/filter Problems? - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 10-05-2009, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fuel Pump/filter Problems?

Having a problem with the filter in the fuel pump clogged up will not let the quad run. Has anybody removed that filter and installed an in-line filter?
Or anybody have this problem, the quad will be running then just start running like it is out of gas. Cleaned the filter thought it fixed it then it started doing it again.

Jeff Hoskins 72K
Brawley Radiator & Glass, Sand Posse, Imperial Valley Cycle Center, Scott Goggles, PowerMadd, CP Pistons, Graffik Graffiti, OMF, GoPro, Elka, Houser Racing, Fly Racing, Big Gun Exhaust and Renthal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-05-2009, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
No problems here. I'm out of town but when I get back I'll take a look at my manual.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 23 Old 10-05-2009, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

I have one, the manual says do not open fuel pump just replace unit.

Jeff Hoskins 72K
Brawley Radiator & Glass, Sand Posse, Imperial Valley Cycle Center, Scott Goggles, PowerMadd, CP Pistons, Graffik Graffiti, OMF, GoPro, Elka, Houser Racing, Fly Racing, Big Gun Exhaust and Renthal.

post #4 of 23 Old 10-05-2009, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have experienced this problem with both an LTR and a Renegade. Both were race bikes and both were used in the desert.......lots of dust and sand. I have heard of similar issues with a couple of the fuel injected bikes also.

In every case it has ended out being the filter in the fuel pump assembly. With the Suzi we replaced the filter with a new one and it never happened again; with the Renegade we chucked the filter altogether and replaced it with an in-line jobbie.

Uppon checking the filters they both looked clean and that was the problem; we thought they were clean and just put them back in only to find out the problem wasn't fixed. We had to cut the filters open and look at the insides to confirm the issue.
post #5 of 23 Old 10-05-2009, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

That is exactly what is happening, cleaned it thought it was clean problem wasn't fixed!!
Did it work good with the in-line filter? That is what I'm ging to do, I have a new pump ordered will use the one with in-line filter as a spare.

Jeff Hoskins 72K
post #6 of 23 Old 10-06-2009, 04:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It sounds like the LTR problem. With the suzi its before the pump but on the 700XX I think it's inside the whole unit. There is a tea-bag looking filter; that is what's getting blocked. To test that this is the problem take the fuel pump assembly apart and remove the filter altogether then take it for a spin. If its the filter you will know.......if you still have the problem it may be a blocked injector. I think it will be the filter though.

Like you said after cleaning it looks OK but we cut the filter open and found a small clump of dirt right over where the hole was, my guess is that the pump is sucking the dirt over the hole and blocking it.

The suzuki was OK with a new filter although many people ditched it and replaced it with an in-line filter from a car; just make sure it flows enough. The Renegade was only fixed after we did the in-line, if we just replaced the pump filter it would happen again.

Suzi only sold the whole pump assembly so you could'nt just order the filter........they ran out of pumps and then offered the filter as a spare part.

I hope that helps
post #7 of 23 Old 10-06-2009, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HosRacn View Post
I have one, the manual says do not open fuel pump just replace unit.

Sure, they don't want you to open the fuel pump and fix the problem yourself. They'd rather sell you a new fuel pump at about $105.00 rather than sell you a filter at about $10.00. You can order just the filter from babbitsonline for $9.95... or you can order the filter from your dealer. The Honda part code is: 9181157

You also should check to see if your fuel itself is contaminated with dirt or other crap from the trail. If the fuel is contaminated it'll just clog up the new filter soon enough.

roadkill

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R. Waters
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

post #8 of 23 Old 10-06-2009, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzLinc View Post
It sounds like the LTR problem. With the suzi its before the pump but on the 700XX I think it's inside the whole unit. There is a tea-bag looking filter; that is what's getting blocked. To test that this is the problem take the fuel pump assembly apart and remove the filter altogether then take it for a spin. If its the filter you will know.......if you still have the problem it may be a blocked injector. I think it will be the filter though.

Like you said after cleaning it looks OK but we cut the filter open and found a small clump of dirt right over where the hole was, my guess is that the pump is sucking the dirt over the hole and blocking it.

The suzuki was OK with a new filter although many people ditched it and replaced it with an in-line filter from a car; just make sure it flows enough. The Renegade was only fixed after we did the in-line, if we just replaced the pump filter it would happen again.

Suzi only sold the whole pump assembly so you could'nt just order the filter........they ran out of pumps and then offered the filter as a spare part.

I hope that helps
Had it apart again, under the filter there is a preasure valve take that off and it was full of dark grit!!!! Going to try it then use it as a spare!

Jeff Hoskins 72K
post #9 of 23 Old 10-06-2009, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
Sure, they don't want you to open the fuel pump and fix the problem yourself. They'd rather sell you a new fuel pump at about $105.00 rather than sell you a filter at about $10.00. You can order just the filter from babbitsonline for $9.95... or you can order the filter from your dealer. The Honda part code is: 9181157

You also should check to see if your fuel itself is contaminated with dirt or other crap from the trail. If the fuel is contaminated it'll just clog up the new filter soon enough.

roadkill

Had My dealer check that Honda # and it doesn't exist said it was to short of a #!!! Going to check that site out next!

Jeff Hoskins 72K
post #10 of 23 Old 10-06-2009, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Checked Babbits that is where that # is thanks, gave it to my dealer so they can check in to it!!

Jeff Hoskins 72K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode