Getting the 700XX ready for blinkers.. need an electrican though - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 11-22-2014, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Getting the 700XX ready for blinkers.. need an electrican though

For my TRX700XX I'm putting blinkers on it but having a bit of wiring trouble. Thanks to you guys for getting clear diagram pics but now these newer electronics have me a bit baffled.

So anyway, I picked up a K&S blinker switch (have the same one on my XRR) but the wiring diagram of the TRX has me confused on a couple of connections. I wanted to ask those who are wiser before I hook up the wrong wire and melt something I shouldn't.

The idea is to replace the stock handlebar headlight/starter switch with the K&S. The K&S doesn't have the starter button of the OEM but I've read where others have wired the kill switch to function as the starter button.

So here is the K&S switch

721-710%20handlebar%20switch%20wiring by Akunin, on Flickr

and the TRX wiring diagram (thank you Baxter for the diagram!)
TRX700WiringDiagramb by Akunin, on Flickr
TRX700WiringSwitch by Akunin, on Flickr
TRX700WiringSwitchCode by Akunin, on Flickr
TRX700WiringSwitchContinuity by Akunin, on Flickr

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Akunin; 11-23-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-24-2014, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
A motorcycle lhs switch is best bet as they have very good quality switches in, and often have a starter and horn button, plus decent self cancelling "direction turn indicators"
All euro road quads have to have indicators, horn and hazzard warning lights to be road legal so many aftermarket switch gear available over here, but the cheap ones once they have a bit of mud and water die .. Some cheap ones are wired poorly and the load of the lighting melts the wiring in the switch gear..
Buy a handle mounted push button for starter switch ?
Only 3 wires are needed for your "blinkers", the negative for the lights themselves come from the frame (ground)
post #3 of 19 Old 12-10-2014, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Good news is I got it done and it works like a charm! The K&S switch works perfectly (the 12-0040 is the same used by earlier BajaDesigns) on the XR650R so I know it holds up great. I have to update the diagram as to what I wired where in case anyone else ever want to try the same. I'll update with pictures sometime too, as soon as my new rims get here

post #4 of 19 Old 12-12-2014, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Baxter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akunin View Post
Good news is I got it done and it works like a charm! The K&S switch works perfectly (the 12-0040 is the same used by earlier BajaDesigns) on the XR650R so I know it holds up great. I have to update the diagram as to what I wired where in case anyone else ever want to try the same. I'll update with pictures sometime too, as soon as my new rims get here
Glad it worked and found out that Tusk make a horn and signal kit for the 700xx.

2008 TT-ReXX , 2003 400ex and 2014 CRF250r.
Products used, abused and loved from:
Ed at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alex at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jim at

Kyle at

With out these guys , it would not be as much fun.
post #5 of 19 Old 12-12-2014, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
Glad it worked and found out that Tusk make a horn and signal kit for the 700xx.
I had seen that one and its what kinda got me looking into doing it to begin with. But instead of going that route I decided to make my own since I had a problem with a couple of the items in their kit.

I couldn't find a good spot to put the blinkers (flush mount which is the cheapest kit) and granted I could have done others but I already had some mini stalk LED lights on hand so I figured I would use those. The blinker wiring is a snap so I figured I'd just make my own harness and I already had a led flasher too so all in all I could just make my own. The hardest part (at the time due to time) was wiring the hand controls in but once I got to finally relax it all came together and worked like a charm. Also since we don't have a lot of room on the bars the last thing I wanted to do was add more controls so that's where the K&S really worked out well. I could do parking lights, low/high beam blinkers horn all from one switch so that saved quite a bit of space.

I soldered and shrink tubed the K&S switch where I cut the factory controls off (about 8" from the connector that ties into the wiring harness) that way I can remove it anytime since the factory connections are there.

One think I wanted to do this way was it would be super simple to tie in a kill tether and of course get the horn I wanted. In the long run the Tusk just wasn't worth the money and now my little beastie has some real bark.

I have a couple more additions and I'll throw up some pics of just what I did instead of all the mumbo-jumbo I just typed.

Last edited by Akunin; 12-12-2014 at 08:16 PM.
post #6 of 19 Old 12-17-2014, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
This little project keeps getting bigger. I've added a few things and ordered even a few more.

For starters I was cruising down the road the other day into town and sure enough, I got cut off. My little "meep, meep" horn just didn't cut it so I decided to look and see what other options there was. Found a little gem called the Denali Soundbomb and it was in my shopping cart after a few visits to youtube. Got that installed yesterday and let me tell you, sounds like a monster!
The Denali is a simple install and comes with very simple instructions to hook it up. Its relay driven (of course) and super easy to install. The hardest part was deciding just where to put it.
post #7 of 19 Old 01-02-2015, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
20141223_095831-1_resized by Akunin, on Flickr

the K&S works beautifully but the only draw back (if you call it that) is no starter button. Easy fix, I just mounted a dual button switch mount. The red button is the starter and the black will be for some additional driving lights I'll be adding down the road. yes I'll upgrade to HID as well but believe it or not still adding additional lighting. I ride all hours of the day and there are just too many deer out to risk it.

20141223_095815_resized by Akunin, on Flickr

The grab bar sits in the way a bit so I have since moved the license bracket back further and mounted the rear blinkers. I'll be getting the HOUSER grab bar as it sits an inch and half inches lower than stock and will provide better leverage for moving the rear end as well.

20141216_151951-1-1_resized by Akunin, on Flickr

I can't wait for the tax return so I can finish it. Its been fun that's for sure!
post #8 of 19 Old 01-22-2015, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
All the blinkers have been installed and operate as they should. Getting some cockpit goodies to clean it up a bit and should look like a totally different machine by the time I'm through. A day doesn't go buy when somebody compliments the machine and I'm surprised at how many had never even seen/heard of it. Daily offers of selling it are also common, thank god its locked up nice and tight at night... and a few other surprises for anyone who might look at trying really hard at getting it.
post #9 of 19 Old 04-01-2015, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
XX has been running like a champ. The blinkers work great and have even had folks talk to me at the light or while getting fuel that they wish more had them.

A few more goodies getting added including powerlet outlets (for powering gps and Drift camera), HID lights and a couple others.
post #10 of 19 Old 04-01-2015, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Moved the ignition button to the top clamp and everything feels great, in reach and easy to use
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150330_120816-1_1427945137504.jpg (29.8 KB, 11 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode