User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 01-06-2015, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
kdp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Burning oil but can't figure out why.

I bought this last year knowing it was smoking. The guy had run it with a new uni filter that he didn't oil. I rebuilt the top end. New piston and rings, touch up of the valves and new valve seals, etc. Rode it on 5 or 6 rides for about 15-20 hours. It never did quit burning oil. I just tore the top end off again and can't find anything. I was just going to hone and put in new rings. I just can't help feeling that I am missing something. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-06-2015, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
When you rebuilt the top end, how did the cylinder look? I would check cylinder wall to piston clearance and make sure it is within spec. If it sucked a bunch of dirt, cylinder could be worn.

Doug

2004 TRX450R, 2008 TRX700XX
(BITD #639 Quad Ironman Expert)

2015 sponsors: Teixeiratech.com, Motowoz.com, Snailmotorsports.com, My bank account.

2008 TRX700XX
2005 TRX450R
1986 TRX250R
post #3 of 21 Old 01-06-2015, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds like time to go to a 103 or 104mm piston kit.

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 Old 01-06-2015, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
kdp

I went one over on the piston and rings. Honda piston and rings with stock compression. Had the cylinder bored to fit the piston. It ran fine, just kept burning oil.
post #5 of 21 Old 01-06-2015, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Garage
Now that doesn't make sense at all now. Unless you had a bad piston ring, or installed them incorrectly? We are talking about blue and not white smoke?

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 Old 01-06-2015, 08:54 PM
Sid

kdp,
Sure hope the oil filter is installed correctly with the printing facing out-word as indicated on the filter. The rubber seal goes toward the lid. Just a thought
Sid
post #7 of 21 Old 01-07-2015, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
kdp

I double checked the rings after pulling it apart and I am pretty sure they where installed correctly. I have the shop manual and they were all gapped and clocked according to it. Like I said everything looked good.
The smoke is from oil. The color is hard to tell and you can only see it when it is idling and you blip the throttle. You can always smell the burnt oil. I kept having to add oil. The coolant level held steady and when I drained it, it was good and clean.
The oil filter was installed correctly. If not, I am pretty sure the motor would have been completely toast pretty quick.
post #8 of 21 Old 01-10-2015, 05:38 AM

Have you had to add oil since the rebuild? How much have you run it since the rebuild? How bad was it smoking before the rebuild?
If you run an engine a good while burning oil real bad the exhaust gets coated pretty bad with oil. After fixing the problem it will still appear to be burning oil for a while afterward until it gets all of the coating of oil burnt out of the exhaust.
post #9 of 21 Old 01-18-2015, 08:16 PM
Sid

kdp,
Have you resolved the issue with the excessive oil use on your quad?
Sid
post #10 of 21 Old 01-20-2015, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
kdp

I have the top end all torn apart and cleaned up. I have inspected everything very well and still havn't found anything. The plan is just to hone the cylinder, put in new rings and valve seals and put it back together. If it still burns oil, I am just going to ride it and keep adding oil. Does anyone use any special break in oil? I just run castol gtx until it is broken in and then switch to synthetic. I have never used synthetic in this one yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode