Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

Stroker/Big Bore

7K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  rappey 
#1 ·
Anyone have both? Have a leaky seal on the crank case so if i tear it down I would like to make it a stroker along with the big bore i already have. Looked through the threads and really couldnt find anyone with both along with upsides and downsides of having both. I know when i put the big bore in with headwork it was a night and day difference resulting in having a hard time keeping the front wheels on the ground.

#2 ·
I have both. If it was a greaqt difference with the big bore then the stroker should be another big difference..
Cant say there are any downsides..
When you put the crank in rotate it with the piston in the bore as the crank may clip the piston skirt, which i resolved by grinding around 3-4mm from the skirt to clear the rotation of the crank..
Other than that, pretty easy.

#3 ·
As above , watch the piston skirt hitting the conrod. The only downside is the programmer I have can't fuel the motor enough in the higher RPM's. Going to a PCV and getting her on the dyno.

Plus side is , I love this setup. Best mod after the Big 3. :D

#4 ·
I wish I had known about the piston hitting the counterbalance before I found out the hard way .

I then looked at the older piston that I had taken out , it had been hitting that one as well ,but just barely .

#6 ·
So what happened or what damage did it cause? And could you not hear the noise from it hitting, over the rest of the motor noise?

#5 ·

does not hit now

#7 ·
what happen is that I put in a stroker crank . after putting the camshaft back I was rotating the crank ,by hand , then there came a sudden stop . to late the damage was done . the piston in the pic is not the damaged one its a different piston ,it has been modified to miss the counter balancer .

#8 ·
So it was noticeable atleast when turning by hand. I'm just curious because I had a stroker installed by someone else. I have readjusted the valves several times and haven't noticed what you described. Just hear the cam relief. I plan on redoing my top end one day, but hopefully will get another season or 2 on it 1st.

#9 ·
rappey had a problem with it .tho I don't know which piston he used and maybe who ever it was that did yours knew what to look for

#10 ·
my piston was a vertex, as supplied with the stroker crank and barrel by cylinder works.
A piece of paper was included saying to check the piston skirt clearance, and to grind some out of the crank to crate the clearance...
Since my crank and bearings were already in i decided to file away the piston like you did.

#11 ·
I remember you telling me about this awhile back. And I relayed info to the guy doing my work. I really don't know if he did anything or not. He kept insisting that the head needed shimmed. I had him call hotrod direct to verify it didn't, and that it is supposably a drop in crank.

Is it such a small relief that's needed that it won't cause a balance issue, unless you do it to both sides of piston skirt?

#12 · (Edited)
aI was surprised that the bigbore piston ,not stroker ,also had a mark on the piston

#14 ·
Its the conrod that clips the skirt, not the crank as i stated earlier..
You already have the crank case split when fitting the crank, so can mount the crank in one bearing, drop the head on and rotate, Very easy to see the moment the conrod contacts the piston skirt..
I did actually have an issue where an oilway in the barrel, only about 10mm long on the surface was missing.(but i didnt know that).. Put the engine together and went out for a ride, to discover something was very wrong..
The oilway was the feed to the head so the camshaft got no oil !
Emailed hotrods/cylinderworks and they were brilliant, replacing every single part that could have been damaged by metal particles floating around in the oil, (new crank, bearings, barrel, piston,gaskets etc) and even sent me lots of new bearings for wheels, a-arms and other stuff !
I used a dremmel to make my own oilway and its still running on all the old parts, but did have to fit a new cam and followers as they got a little ground away...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.