After getting real hot, it shuts off..ideas??? - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 11-29-2009, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
pissed After getting real hot, it shuts off..ideas???

Ok, so rippin around my track today, came out of one corner and she died...I started it right back up, got through another few gears, died again and wouldn't refire...after a long cool down, started right up...shut it off to put my equipment back on, wouldn't fire...by the time I got it back to my shop and started the clean up, seems to start and run fine, even let it idle while washing it to get it hot....any ideas???
Can't think of anything I've done to cause this. Wrapped the front pipe, slip on FMF, opened up the airbox lid, and opened up the air filter cage.
Fuel pump runs fine, fuses all ok...anyone??

2008 TRX 700xx...FMF Titanium slip on, wrapped head pipe, Pro Taper Fat Bars (motocross bend), 3.5" billet riser, Motion Pro twist throttle, Moose Easy Pull clutch with Shorty 2 finger lever, 13T front sprocket, modified filter cage and air box, anodized hubs, graphite powder coat wheels, trimmed front plastics, tinted headlight, CCP steering stabilizer, Matlock graphics, rear shock revalve, DS 450r front shocks/springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 11-29-2009, 08:34 PM

this might sound stupid... but it honestly happens to me sometimes.. did you chech your fuel valve? sometimes i have it on reserve or off, and it does the same thing. Then I check it and place it where it should be, and good to go. The only other thing I can think of is that you might not have a fuel programmer... I've heard that even with a slip on, it's a good idea to have one
post #3 of 21 Old 11-29-2009, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Not stupid at all...lol...first thing I checked, thought i was out of fuel...valve was pointing down to on, even tried moving it to reserve.
I would agree on the fuel controller, but if the factory software couldn't keep up wouldnt i notice major driveablility concerns before a complete flame out and intermitant restarts??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceballos View Post
this might sound stupid... but it honestly happens to me sometimes.. did you chech your fuel valve? sometimes i have it on reserve or off, and it does the same thing. Then I check it and place it where it should be, and good to go. The only other thing I can think of is that you might not have a fuel programmer... I've heard that even with a slip on, it's a good idea to have one

2008 TRX 700xx...FMF Titanium slip on, wrapped head pipe, Pro Taper Fat Bars (motocross bend), 3.5" billet riser, Motion Pro twist throttle, Moose Easy Pull clutch with Shorty 2 finger lever, 13T front sprocket, modified filter cage and air box, anodized hubs, graphite powder coat wheels, trimmed front plastics, tinted headlight, CCP steering stabilizer, Matlock graphics, rear shock revalve, DS 450r front shocks/springs

post #4 of 21 Old 11-29-2009, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think it's getting too hot. My bet is that it is shutting down because of some sensor in the FI system. You really need a Power Commander. With your mods you have opened up the exhaust and intake; this will result in a lean condition and lean means hot.
post #5 of 21 Old 11-30-2009, 08:36 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to smo0oth1
Not to say OZ is wrong but a slipon will usually not effect the burn process in the head to make a lean condition. The stock header holds enough back pressure to keep things normal. As Cebellos said I would check the fuel valve. My indicator was installed backwards and the XX will actually run for a while in the off position. You would know if it's running hot by monitoring the cooling fan to see if it's running non stop

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
post #6 of 21 Old 11-30-2009, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

it was cold out here, which would enhance the lean condition, and i did notice alot of backfiring on decel, but do not sure if PGM Fi has that capability...I'll phone the dealer today and see what they say.
I cant believe cutting 3 windows in thefilter cage and a slip on would make that much difference. These poor things must be brutally stiffled from the factory....
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzLinc View Post
I think it's getting too hot. My bet is that it is shutting down because of some sensor in the FI system. You really need a Power Commander. With your mods you have opened up the exhaust and intake; this will result in a lean condition and lean means hot.

post #7 of 21 Old 11-30-2009, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

And come to think of it, it did feel a little lazy....down the back straight i could hold it wide open 3,4 and touch 5th before the corner, but didnt feel like it pulled that hard...i dont have a lot of seat time on it, so i'm always learning.....
Anyone got a cheap Power Commander they want to sell??????

post #8 of 21 Old 11-30-2009, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Well I had never moved the fuel valve..the indicator is down, which is labeled "on"...pointing straight up is labeled "res" and off is pointing towards the front...but should have restarted after changing it...
But i dont think the fan was on when I turned the key on....hmmmmm
Does anyone know if the software has control enough to not let it restart when too hot??
I'm gonna plug the display back in and see if there's an engine light on....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smo0oth1 View Post
Not to say OZ is wrong but a slipon will usually not effect the burn process in the head to make a lean condition. The stock header holds enough back pressure to keep things normal. As Cebellos said I would check the fuel valve. My indicator was installed backwards and the XX will actually run for a while in the off position. You would know if it's running hot by monitoring the cooling fan to see if it's running non stop

post #9 of 21 Old 11-30-2009, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

no lights on...i may half to go rip'er up again...see what happens!!!!
supposed to snow here tonight, YUCK!

post #10 of 21 Old 12-01-2009, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smo0oth1 View Post
Not to say OZ is wrong but a slipon will usually not effect the burn process in the head to make a lean condition. The stock header holds enough back pressure to keep things normal.
But he also has "opened up the airbox lid, and opened up the air filter cage" and all together those mods will make a huge difference to a quad that is already a bit lean.

Yeah......I could be wrong but get a Power Commander anyway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode