LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-16-2015, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage
Piston recommendations

Hi guys,

End of March I was riding and the quad stalled and did not want to restart. It finally restarted and made a loud rattleing sound so I shut it off and called the wife to come pick me up. This past week I finally have felt good enough and had a little time to open it up and find out what was wrong. What I found was scoring on the intake side of the piston and cylinder. I got a new stock cylinder off ebay for $180 shipped. Now I need a piston. Can get a Wiseco stock compression ratio for just under $130. I can get a JE piston with 11:0:1 compression for $180 shipped.

Stage 3 Hotcam is on the way.

Is the higher compression worth the extra $50?

Correction: after a little more research the stock compression is 10:0:1, Wiseco is 10:5:1.

Last edited by Luecker; 04-16-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-17-2015, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
My opinion would be for the JE piston with 11:0:1 compression for the simple reason... you've already got the Stage 3 Hot Cam on the way... Might as well go higher on the compression while you're at it. Just remember you're gonna need to run with higher octane fuel with 11:1 compression.

roadkill

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R. Waters
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

post #3 of 11 Old 04-18-2015, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Garage
I'm glad somebody cashed in on the cylinder deal. I wish I would of found one that cheap when i needed it. Someone has a old beat up one on ebay for $300, been on there for awhile now, lol.

https://www.club700xx.com/vb/194233-post7.html

I went with the Wiseco piston myself, and I personally can't see the $50.00 difference in the slight compression. As for what I've herd thou the CP Carrillo pistons are top notch! Oh and good luck with that cam.

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, DG 6 Pack Rack, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old 04-19-2015, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Only run CP in my racer
post #5 of 11 Old 04-21-2015, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I ended up going with the JE. Received it today.

I also received the Hot Cam today. M_Quick, is there an issue with the stage 3 Hot Cam?
post #6 of 11 Old 04-21-2015, 01:35 PM

Garage
If you search around here on the hot cam 3. You will find several hard start issues. I have also herd some of them are indexed wrong, making it impossible to time the quad. Which could also be a reason for hard starts. I think I found out the hard way, why the Web cam's cost more and require H/d springs and hard welded rockers.

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, DG 6 Pack Rack, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

post #7 of 11 Old 06-26-2015, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Time for an update. With my busy work and family schedule it has been a challenge to get this rebuild done. The JE piston rings are not a direct fit. They send them a little large so you can file them down for your preferred ring gap. Got everything buttoned up and then had to disconnect the negative battery cable to attach the Power Commander V wire. I must have over tightened the cable to the terminal on the Antigravity battery because in the process of removing it, the cable wrapped around the corner of the battery case breaking it in the process. Sent it off to Antigravity a couple weeks ago and they are going to recase it and send it back to me. In the meantime I charged and installed my oringinal battery and finished installing the PCV, auto tune and put the gas tank on so I could take it on a break in ride. M_Quick had me a little worried that it may not start very well with the stage 3 Hotcam. It started up pretty easy. Took it for a quick little ride on Monday night. My butt dyno is very happy with the power increase with the piston and cam. So Wednesday I loaded the quad in the back of the truck and when tying it down I noticed grease on the rear arm. Looked closer and my left inboard joint boot has a hole in it. So I figured I would go ride it anyway and just stay out of the water puddles. I drove 20 miles to my local riding area and unloaded the quad and went to start it and the battery was too weak to start it. Put it on the charger tonight it was only at 37%. Hopefully I can ride it on Sunday so I can recheck the valve clearances and finish putting the quad back together.

2008 700xx with lots of goodies.
Part time IATVHSS racer (when time and $$ allow)
post #8 of 11 Old 06-27-2015, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luecker View Post
Time for an update. With my busy work and family schedule it has been a challenge to get this rebuild done. The JE piston rings are not a direct fit. They send them a little large so you can file them down for your preferred ring gap. Got everything buttoned up and then had to disconnect the negative battery cable to attach the Power Commander V wire. I must have over tightened the cable to the terminal on the Antigravity battery because in the process of removing it, the cable wrapped around the corner of the battery case breaking it in the process. Sent it off to Antigravity a couple weeks ago and they are going to recase it and send it back to me. In the meantime I charged and installed my oringinal battery and finished installing the PCV, auto tune and put the gas tank on so I could take it on a break in ride. M_Quick had me a little worried that it may not start very well with the stage 3 Hotcam. It started up pretty easy. Took it for a quick little ride on Monday night. My butt dyno is very happy with the power increase with the piston and cam. So Wednesday I loaded the quad in the back of the truck and when tying it down I noticed grease on the rear arm. Looked closer and my left inboard joint boot has a hole in it. So I figured I would go ride it anyway and just stay out of the water puddles. I drove 20 miles to my local riding area and unloaded the quad and went to start it and the battery was too weak to start it. Put it on the charger tonight it was only at 37%. Hopefully I can ride it on Sunday so I can recheck the valve clearances and finish putting the quad back together.
there is a paper that came with the cam giving valve lash for the hotcam , what does it say the valve lash should be ?

751 ,barker pipe,290 Web cam,+3 stroker,TB bored to 46.8 and moved back from head 1 inch,+3 big bore , +1 intake valves, Hard Welded Rockers,KW springs, ported, clutch mod , air box removed ,Cat oil mod, dynojet commander V w/auto tune , lowered rear end , TRX450R front shocks ,
post #9 of 11 Old 06-27-2015, 11:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataway View Post
there is a paper that came with the cam giving valve lash for the hotcam , what does it say the valve lash should be ?
It's the same as stock. I was wondering how the battery dies this time of year from Mon to Weds?

post #10 of 11 Old 06-27-2015, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Quick View Post
It's the same as stock. I was wondering how the battery dies this time of year from Mon to Weds?
Because it is old and has been sitting for the last year and a half. Battery is more less shot, but will have to work until I get the Antigravity battery back.

2008 700xx with lots of goodies.
Part time IATVHSS racer (when time and $$ allow)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode