13 tooth sprocket and why? - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-22-2015, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
13 tooth sprocket and why?

I am running my XX for this summer (wife might kill me if I order most stuff for the mistress) on the original OEM chain and sprockets but want to have them all replaced next winter.

Have read a lot on here about guys changing the front sprocket gear to a 13 tooth and am wondering if it would benefit my riding.

I primarily ride trails, not the smooth nearly dirt road trails but the lets go where the 4x4's go type trails. I don't race anymore, except again my friends 250R if he ever gets it running again. Do a lot of mount climbing, mild mud running and bumpy trail riding.

Also, back when I did race cross country ATV's Sidewinder brand sprockets and chains were the way to go, is that still the case? Haven't looked at a chain driven ATV since the first TRX450R came out and didn't have it long enough to do any mods. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-23-2015, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
I know a bunch of people swear by the 13 tooth. For the short time I've run mine I actually haven't noticed any issues going through slower trails. I just replaced my chain and sprocket and decided to stick with the stock gearing. It would also depend on your tires though too (if you decide to get big mud tires, then you might want to drop to 13).

I think the best thing is to just ride it the way it is, and then decide.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-23-2015, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
A 13t will give you more low end torque and better power on slow speed sections... you do lose some top end, but not much besides, how many trails are open enough to allow you to use that kind of top end anyway? For me, I'd rather have low end torque and power I do use than a bit higher top end I can't use.

I am using a Sidewinder chain, but use a Renthal sprocket.

roadkill

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R. Waters
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

post #4 of 9 Old 04-23-2015, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Renthal seems a lot cheaper in the uk... I have oem rear sprocket, renthal front as cheap enough to swop sizes, and a renthal r4 atv chain.. these chains are amazing.. huge fat links on z ring.. fit em, adjust them and you never have to adjust them again as they never seem to stretch ! would guess the chain comes in around $80 and front sprockets over here are around $9
post #5 of 9 Old 04-23-2015, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The 13 tooth swap really benefits someone using the lower gears more then fourth and fifth. It allows more use of third gear in my opinion, I can lug down to near idle but still have enough gear to run up to a decent speed if needed. With stock gearing, third can't be lugged down as easily, so dropping into second was required but then second will run out pretty quick and I would have to shift back to third really quick. The gear swap really saves your clutch hand from getting worn out. In tight woods second gear is the only gear I ever need. In the dunes second and third is all ever really use.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-25-2015, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaintedStang View Post
The 13 tooth swap really benefits someone using the lower gears more then fourth and fifth. It allows more use of third gear in my opinion, I can lug down to near idle but still have enough gear to run up to a decent speed if needed. With stock gearing, third can't be lugged down as easily, so dropping into second was required but then second will run out pretty quick and I would have to shift back to third really quick. The gear swap really saves your clutch hand from getting worn out. In tight woods second gear is the only gear I ever need. In the dunes second and third is all ever really use.
went for a ride today. the 13 tooth sprocket seems like factory. can climb serious trail hills in second very easily. don` think I`ll ever go back. now to extend the brake pedal a little, it`s too short for my long legs and feet. going to get back to finishing my mud flaps, got covered today. dam thing throws mud right up underneath my helmit into my mouth occasionaly, happened about 4-5 times today.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-26-2015, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Front mud guards/fenders or whatever you lot call them are awesome !
Keeps so much mud from your goggles, gloves and going up your neck !"
post #8 of 9 Old 04-27-2015, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So for slow, rocky, technical, muddy trails the 13T gear give more lowend torque for rockcrawling etc. but will loose too end speed

Wher I ride you have everything thing long dirt roads with no real "speed limit" (yes it's posted 55 but who really cares). But there are true mountains to climb and deep creeks and mud bogs. Not to mention the slow paced whoops and simple but deep mud holes.

The 13T sounds like a year I would want but what brand? Found a ton of them and all have great reviews or horrible reviews. I'm partial to Sidewinder back in the '80-90's, ran them on the my 250X, 300EX(2), 250R and 450R. But know there are newer brands so which are the best for the money.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Don't want 2 of the 3, want 3 of the 3 without breaking the 401K.

All the riders here have seem to have tried everything since the XX came out so hoping for advise from the experts to a newby on the XX.

Thanks
post #9 of 9 Old 04-27-2015, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I've ran JT Sprockets before with success and that is what I used on the 700xxx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode