User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 Old 08-09-2015, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
headscratch Running HOT please help

Before I begin let me say that by running "hot" I don't mean that my thermal light on the dash is coming on nor am I experiencing coolant biil over or loss.

I have had my 08 XX for almost two years. Completely stock. In all that time the cooling fan has never kicked on until recently, within the last month it comes on all the time. While riding the fan will come on and you can feel it blowing heat all the way up to your face. Last summer I was able to ride in shorts with zero issues. This summer I cannot. There is so much heat that the seat will actually get hot under your butt. There is so much heat on your butt it feels like a sunburn. The under side of tank as well as frame on the right side is CRAZY hot.

Within the past two weeks, problem has existed longer, I have completely flushed the system and switched to engine ice. Doesn't seem to help. Today I removed the thermostat and tested it in a pan of boiling water to check for proper function and it passed the test. I have checked my spark plug and the ceramic is tan as it should be. There is a hint of white but not like you would see with a lean issue. Today I also checked and adjusted valves.

I am out of ideas and what to check to solve my issue. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 08-10-2015, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #3 of 68 Old 08-11-2015, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi,
This forum seems to be rather dead. I'm not sure you'll get much help here.

I recently purchased a TRX700XX and it does the same thing. I've only had it for a few months, so I can't say if it has always done this, but since you posted this, I now know it shouldn't behave in this manner. On an 80 degree day, the fan comes on frequently and blows on my right leg; it becomes very uncomfortable to ride. I have flushed the system and put in engine ice, and I think this helped some. My spark plug looks good as well, but I think the next thing I try might be adding fuel to the fuel map to make it a tad richer. I have also noticed air flow to the front surface of the radiator is mostly obstructed by the body plastics (OEM), shocks (OEM), frame, etc... I was thinking of building something to divert more air to the radiator. however, this idea doesn't address the root of the problem - whatever that is. I shouldn't have to build air diverters to keep this thing cool. My Raptor 700 never did this.
Does anyone know the nominal operating temperature of the coolant of the 700XX? I may add a coolant temp gauge so I can monitor it.

Good luck, please post here if you find anything. I will do the same.

Last edited by Sunrcr69; 08-11-2015 at 07:55 AM.

post #4 of 68 Old 08-11-2015, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
I know my radiator looked clean (or clean enough), but then I took it out and it was blocked up pretty bad. It might be worthwhile to take it out to clean it and make sure you can see through the entire thing. Made a huge difference for me.
post #5 of 68 Old 08-11-2015, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My radiator is clean, I can see through all of it.
I'll be adjusting the fuel map this afternoon, then riding tomorrow.
post #6 of 68 Old 08-11-2015, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

My radiator is clean as well. Not only that but my thought process tells me that if the radiator was blocked and not cooling properly, wouldn't it trip the sensor and the light on the dash come on?

08 TRX 700XX
Full Barkers exhaust
EHS lid
EHS controller
UNI filter
L8ton 11/16 sway bar
PRM nerf pans
Pro Design tether
post #7 of 68 Old 08-11-2015, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
You guys are right, this forum is pretty slow and your 700xx shouldn't run that hot. Sounds like you are running rich/lean but also maybe the water pump?!? I don't know but I'd post this on the club700xx facebook group page as there is a lot more interaction over there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/61059729495/

Also, here is a link to the manual which should help you diagnose almost any problem with your xx

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0M...ew?usp=sharing

-2008 Alba Racing TRX700xx Desert Runner-
post #8 of 68 Old 08-11-2015, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

I do all my own maintenance and repairs. I have a couple other things I'm going to try and then it's off to my local shop. I know them pretty good. They are gonna diagnose the problem for $88. To me it's worth it so I can stop pulling my hair out.

08 TRX 700XX
Full Barkers exhaust
EHS lid
EHS controller
UNI filter
L8ton 11/16 sway bar
PRM nerf pans
Pro Design tether
post #9 of 68 Old 08-11-2015, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Thaxnks blakjak619. I've been a member of the FB page for quite a while. If you go look you'll see I've posted over there as well. I also already have the service manual and it is of no help for this particular issue.

08 TRX 700XX
Full Barkers exhaust
EHS lid
EHS controller
UNI filter
L8ton 11/16 sway bar
PRM nerf pans
Pro Design tether
post #10 of 68 Old 08-11-2015, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Lol I don't know who is who because our screen names don't match our real names.

-2008 Alba Racing TRX700xx Desert Runner-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode