Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

Big Bore and Strokers. Post up your combo.

9K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Baxter 
#1 ·
Seeing what is out there in terms of increased cubic inch offerings for the 700xx. What kind of bore and stroke combos are available for these engines? Who offers cylinder head work? What about a complete engine with all the goodies?

Getting the itch to build a engine with more power than I need for one of my 700's. Do I need any more power? Probably not. However I do not need 2 1000 hp turbo mustangs or a turbo gsxr 1000. >:)

#2 ·
Stay away from Hot Rods cranks if you're building big power maybe try falicon. For reliability though I'd run OEM crank with CP piston, WebCam or Stage 3, Ported head, Vortex ECU, Hard welded rocker arms,

Alba Racing Stage 3 kit - Call Nate Martinez and he will give you the low down on building the TRX700xx. They built championship motors for Factory Honda racer Wayne Matlock. They have a deal going for Club700xx members on their 727 kit with CP Piston which is the best out there plus their head work is amazing.

CT Racing - I don't run anything CT on my race quad but I know people who have had their 700xx's built by CT.

Duncan Racing - Again, I don't run anything Duncan Racing but they are also one of the best in the biz when building power.

If you want more than that you should call a custom engine builder.

#3 ·
This build has been suggested to me - OEM crank with CP piston, WebCam or Stage 3, Ported head, Hard welded rocker arms.

Keeps it a reliable woods machine under 60hp.

#4 ·
hot rods stroker crank and their big bore kit taking it to 751cc ?
duncan racing fat boy4 exhaust system, k&n filter with pre filter and vortex x10 ecu.

thrashed the crap out of the quad doing trails and high speed road for a fair few thousand miles.. not gone bang yet !!

Personal opinion? what a total waste of money.. doesnt feel faster in the slightest, just stupidly noisy !
I would rather have all the cash it all cost and have a nice quiet stock bike !

A standing start 0-60 against a friends with aftermarket exhaust and power commander - not really anything in it !
Side by side in 5th at 30 mph then both nail throttle - i leave him standing !

#7 ·
the vortex 10 has 10 custom maps built in so should be plug and play.
It is a stock head.. i have a stage 1,2 or 3 cam (cant remember which) but after been unimpressed with the other mods just cant be arsed to swop over the cam !
I,m in uk so sending bits away is time consuming and expensive!
I would rather spend money on a auto clutch !!

#8 · (Edited)
Well I'm driving myself nuts here. My motor is out on the shelf right now and I need to get it up to Illinois Powersports for Jay to tear down.

If I need a crank as I think it lost a crank bearing it seems me to go +3. Of course the only available MFG I can find is Hot Rods so I'm torn. Falicon doesn't seem to have one and I can't get them to answer the phone.

Alba's Stage 3 now does not include a cam anymore as Webb does not make them for the 700xx. I may call and really see if that is the case as I thought I read somewhere here that someone was getting a cam ground for them from Webb a few months back.

So my thinking is to go either:

IPS or Alba ported head
CP 11.0 piston (stock bore)
S3 Hot cam
Either new OEM crank/rod or step up to a +3 HR crank/rod

The aftermarket for this quad is frustrating to say the least.

#11 ·
Look again at the Web Cam P/N, says N/A for both regrind and new cam. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if I can get a "custom" old grind cam, if not I guess it's S3 hot cam.

I get killing a product model obviously has some fall out for the aftermarket and most in the industry don't go after an obsolete model. But look at the 250R still to this day an abundance of choices.

#12 ·
I get killing a product model obviously has some fall out for the aftermarket and most in the industry don't go after an obsolete model. But look at the 250R still to this day an abundance of choices.

250R was a completely different animal. Very popular and most of the racers were riding them. Also made for 4 years vs only 2 for the 700xx.

#13 ·
Well the good news is Web Cams are officially back into making their grinds! Apparently took them down for a bit to address the hard start w/decompression.

The not so good is Falicon needs a minimum of 10 orders to create a crank for the 700xx so it looks like it may be the Hot Rods if I go +3.

#14 ·
Did Falicon estimate a price for one crank. Just took my +3 stroker Hot Rods out as little end started moving in the conrod. Only noticed because on a "looksy" the lower part of the piston skirt had weird markings on it.

Also if you fit a Hot Rods +3 crank , you may need to modify the piston skirt. It hits the conrod before BDC. I notched mine out. I've a post about it somewhere.

#15 ·
Somewhere around $1500-$2000 on a group buy. I would almost bet I'd be struck by lighting before I could get 10 to commit to that.

This is exactly what I'm afraid of with the Hot rods crank. Although I've talked with 2 very reputable engine builders and they've had much success with them. Did you use the Hotrods supplied crank bearings or OEM? I was told to stay away from them and use OEM.

I also read your post on clearance the piston skirt and that Hotrods had put instructions now on doing so or maybe it was clearance the balancer?

#17 ·
Glad to hear that as it seems for every good story about HR cranks there is a bad as well. Did you use OEM or HR bearings?

Just an FYI, Alba grind cams are made by Web Cams.

So that is why I am leaning heavily towards the S3 Alba engine package as it is a one and done kit. It should make great power and give me one hell of a reliable woods riding quad. The X factor will be the crank and if I go +3 as that seems like it would be icing on the cake to bump it up to 710 with the S3. I'm also giving Jay at IPS an opportunity to piece together a package as he will be building and tuning it. Not to mention he did a pretty damn good job on a members quad a little while back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.