valvetrain problems??? - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 01-24-2010, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question valvetrain problems???

I am just about to purchase a new 700xx and i just wanted to go over a few things about honda and their valves.
I currently own a 04-crf450r dirtbike and am hesitant to go with honda again because of all the valve problems they had with the 450's. anyone who has owned one knows what i am talking about. the valves need to be reshimmed every 10-20 hours due to the titanium intake valves stretching and creating zero tolerance on the valve lash. I understand that the 700 is not a racing engine so the cam and valves are prob different than the 450. I have heard of some catistrophic engine failure on a few of the 700s involving the valves but the cause seemed to be less experinced riders over reving the engine.
I would like to get a first hand view of people that own the 700 to see if anyone has noticed any problems.
Have the clearences changes at all since time of puchase??
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-24-2010, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
No issues with mine whatsoever and I've had it since it was released.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 19 Old 01-24-2010, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdog View Post
I am just about to purchase a new 700xx and i just wanted to go over a few things about honda and their valves.
I currently own a 04-crf450r dirtbike and am hesitant to go with honda again because of all the valve problems they had with the 450's. anyone who has owned one knows what i am talking about. the valves need to be reshimmed every 10-20 hours due to the titanium intake valves stretching and creating zero tolerance on the valve lash. I understand that the 700 is not a racing engine so the cam and valves are prob different than the 450. I have heard of some catistrophic engine failure on a few of the 700s involving the valves but the cause seemed to be less experinced riders over reving the engine.
I would like to get a first hand view of people that own the 700 to see if anyone has noticed any problems.
Have the clearences changes at all since time of puchase??
thanks
The bikes use Ti valves and the quads use SS so the valve issues just aren't there. I have never heard of a top end issue of any kind on the 700XX; the engine seems to be rock solid.

post #4 of 19 Old 01-24-2010, 06:35 PM

You overrev any motor it will come apart

Last edited by gavineli; 01-24-2010 at 06:43 PM. Reason: misspell
post #5 of 19 Old 01-24-2010, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Thats all I needed to hear!! If the 700xx is everything that people say it is on this site then its everything I've ever wanted in a quad! I do believe that when the press release test riders rode this quad they didnt get enough time in to really learn the characteristics and full potential of the machine. I believe that I will be satisfied with my decision and i'll let everyone know my overall thoughts on the outcome.
Thanks again
post #6 of 19 Old 01-24-2010, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
You couldn't ask for a better group of owners than we have here either.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #7 of 19 Old 01-24-2010, 06:57 PM

The 700xx is an awsome machine. So far it has been a rock solid machine that both the wife and I are enjoying (we each have one)!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TRX700xx - FMF 4.1 Complete, FMF Tuner, UNI Filter, DG GNCC up front, AC Six Pack out back, Motion Pro, Trail Tech Bars and Clamps, Trail Tech Stealth Vapor, Maxxis Razor II on Black ITP T9' Front - Go Fast - Don't Look Back.

2008 TRX700xx X 2
1998 - XR600r Yosh pipe, XR's Only Suspension, Hardend Rockers, Big Valves,...
2003 Excursion V10 (Pull Toy)
2003 Warlock 28SXT Cat, 540ci Merlin III (650hp), Merc Bravo 1,...
post #8 of 19 Old 01-24-2010, 09:53 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to smo0oth1
When you use high performance parts there is always an increase in attention to maintenance. The guys who had trouble with there 450's weren't checking valve lash as frequently as needed. The valve will stretch over a period of time, Not just suddenly that would catch you by surprise.
The XX doesn't have Ti valves so that is not an issue. The only valve failure I know of to date was on mine, This was from not double checking clearances on a piston install, not over revving. The XX has a limiter that is set well within over rev range.
The XX valve lash setting procedure is 100x easier then the 450 also, It uses a set screw and there are no shims required. Just out of curiousity, Where did you here of XX valve problems?

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-25-2010, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smo0oth1 View Post
When you use high performance parts there is always an increase in attention to maintenance. The guys who had trouble with there 450's weren't checking valve lash as frequently as needed. The valve will stretch over a period of time, Not just suddenly that would catch you by surprise.
The XX doesn't have Ti valves so that is not an issue. The only valve failure I know of to date was on mine, This was from not double checking clearances on a piston install, not over revving. The XX has a limiter that is set well within over rev range.
The XX valve lash setting procedure is 100x easier then the 450 also, It uses a set screw and there are no shims required. Just out of curiousity, Where did you here of XX valve problems?
based on all of the responses i got i am very confident about buying the xx now. I actually had just discovered the valve problems a few days ago on my 450 and assumed that all honda's were notorious for having valve problems, at least the high performance machines. I just felt that the xx being a 700 that i would fall into the high performance category.
I typed in google honda trx700xx engine problems and went through the first few pages that came up...... on was actually where the piston blew out of the side of the cylinder wall and all that was left was the wrist pin. they sent a field tech to inspect the warranty claim and the conclusion was lack of oil to the wrist pin. It must have been a one time thing or perhaps whoever it was didnt have enough oil or something freakish, the other was a guy was racing his friend and pulled way ahead of his buddy and parked by their truck to wait for his buddy to catch up and heard noise in the top end with no loss of power and his buddy said he saw him pull away and then all of a sudden saw smoke pouring out. it smoked the piston, valves, cam, etc. warranty tech said lack of maintenance and that the dust being pulled into engine it smoked the rings.
I guess with the valve problem i faced with my 450 being fresh in my mind I jumped to conclusions to fast and just needed to clear it up before the purchase. I hope i didnt startle any xx owners with my paranoia on this issue.
Im sure that the people that experienced thes problems probably didnt maintain their machines and that may have been the result
post #10 of 19 Old 01-25-2010, 06:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to crwh45
The 450s are pretty much the only thing out there that had serious valve problems. That isn't just honda, it is across the board as they all Have Ti valves. The thing is, you have to check your valves. I think on the 700 is says every 100 hours in the manaul, if I am not mistaken (it actually may be more), but if you look at the 450's, it is every 10-20 depending on model (I have had two trx450r's, and I still have a 450X). If you add on aftermarket parts, then you should check your valves more often. I have only seen one 700xx that was bad, and I think it was smoooths if I am not mistaken on another thread. I have had mine pretty much since the release and the only problem I have had is a clutch that wore out too quickly IMO.

2008 700xx; Power Bomb header with power core 4 exhaust, Power Programmer III, pro armor nerfs, prm products control front and rear bumpers and full skid, 10" ITP rears, ITP Baja's fronts, RZR 2's all the way around, Uni filter, 13t sprocket, CCP steering Damper, DS450 shock swap, Dual Gasser Throttle, bar risers and Moose barkBusters. 730XX kit plus other engine mods!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode