Chain? - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 11-10-2016, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Chain?

I've searched and really don't see a lot of options for new chains. I will say, my original chain is still on the bike and it has logged 100's of miles on Hatfield McCoy trails. I've been pretty good at lubing it before/during/after rides. It's stretched to the max and I know it's time for new. I have put a new sprocket on the front, but not the rear. I seeing that the chain is 520x70 , but i've also seen 520x80. Looking at the chain, and service manual, this thing has a master link that i've never seen. I've only felt with the master link that's on a bike. Is it necessary to put the same style chain, master link on the bike, or will another style work just as good? I've read that even the new oem chains come with a master link, but i'm not sure if its the special kind that uses another type tool.
Anybody having good luck on installing a new/different chain with regulars style mater? If so, what kind. I'm thinking I can just cut the old chain off, unless the tension and slide the back all the way up. Install the new chain and ride. Most likely after first ride will need to adjust. Does this sound correct. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-10-2016, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
It depends on if the rear sprocket is still good or not. I know mine was warn and so I just replaced both sprockets when I did the chain. Unfortunately I can't remember right now which chain I used, I think it was RK or something like that. The two types of master link that I know of are the clip and the rivet. My new one was a clip style and I haven't had any issues. One for my Dad's 300/400EX were rivet style. Not sure why the difference or if it really matters.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-10-2016, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Garage
As far as the oem chain having a link I never seen one either. Chances are it has a rivet style one that is just hard to see. I'm on my 3rd chain, but can't for the life of me figure out what kind it is, lol. I know it was a X-ring and advertised as stretch-less! And it's light weight, has holes drilled through every link in the center. My other 700 came with a D.I.D. chain. both have the master links. They say for higher HP bikes to use the rivet style chain, but for our quads the master link is fine, imo. And removing the chain in one piece is probably easier than cutting it. You just take wheel & hub off maybe a few other things, lol. And yeah after install and running the quad you may need to re-adjust the chain.

And chain is 520x70 and it's been said to replace both sprockets with the chain, but that's up to you.

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, DG 6 Pack Rack, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by M_Quick; 11-10-2016 at 04:05 PM.

post #4 of 8 Old 11-10-2016, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Garage
Just went to garage to find old chain in new box. Picture don't show drilled holes in links, but they are. This has been a good chain and was priced decent as I recall.

quick look on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EK-Chain-ATV...-/141500464027

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, DG 6 Pack Rack, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by M_Quick; 11-10-2016 at 04:10 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-15-2016, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Ive ridden quads for 11 years and got through many chains.. The renthal r4 z ring chain is awesome ! Adjust it once and it just never seems to stretch after that !
You buy one that has enough links, cut off the ones you dont need and fit it..
Would advise new front and rear sprockets to maximise the chain life..
I did 5000 miles on the original did chain !
post #6 of 8 Old 12-07-2016, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Motosport has a lot of good options.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-11-2016, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I've been running this chain for years without any issues

http://www.motosport.com/did-520-vx2-xring-chain

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

-2008 Alba Racing TRX700xx Desert Runner-
post #8 of 8 Old 12-12-2016, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Read a lot of good reviews about that Pro-Street X-Ring VX Series Chains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode