User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 02-17-2010, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to xx700xx
Cleaning your air filter?

I was wondering what would be best for cleaning my air filter. I was thinking about using dish soap and then buying some filter oil to recharge it. Thoughts? Any other ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-17-2010, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
If you use dish soap, I'd use something like Dawn. I just use Simple Green and K&N oil.

Just make sure the filter is ALL the way dry before you oil it and then don't over oil it.

roadkill

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

R. Waters
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

post #3 of 20 Old 02-17-2010, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to xx700xx
Ok, cool. thanks

post #4 of 20 Old 02-17-2010, 12:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to crwh45
Also, don't force dry it. Let it dry naturally, meaning don't use air. If you have a boot dryer (Like Peets), you could slip it over and let it dry quicker, but the best thing is just to air dry it in a warm room. You could use an oil or something, such as a parts washer, and also, if you get the K&N recharge kit, I am pretty sure it comes with a solvent for cleaning. I got mine right at autozone for my car and truck.

2008 700xx; Power Bomb header with power core 4 exhaust, Power Programmer III, pro armor nerfs, prm products control front and rear bumpers and full skid, 10" ITP rears, ITP Baja's fronts, RZR 2's all the way around, Uni filter, 13t sprocket, CCP steering Damper, DS450 shock swap, Dual Gasser Throttle, bar risers and Moose barkBusters. 730XX kit plus other engine mods!
post #5 of 20 Old 02-17-2010, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
if you get the K&N recharge kit, I am pretty sure it comes with a solvent for cleaning
I does indeed. However, the Simple Green is a cheaper way to go and the element is different in a K&N filter and our foam filter... using a solvent may or may not be good for a foam filter. However, the oil would be the same. One of my friends just uses tranny fluid or brake fluid. I decided not to go that way... decided to stay with actual filter oil.

roadkill

"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

R. Waters

post #6 of 20 Old 02-17-2010, 05:05 PM

If your talking factory installed or the one the dealer set it up with, i believe that is covered with petroleum based oil and will need to be cleaned with some sort of solvent or kerosene or gas. I really doubt dish soap will work.

My bad. Guess you were talking K&N.

Last edited by Mark97XP; 02-17-2010 at 05:22 PM.
post #7 of 20 Old 02-17-2010, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Baxter
I recommend a Twin Air filter cleaning kit for foam filters and K&N filter cleaner for a K&N filter.

2008 TT-ReXX , 2003 400ex and 2014 CRF250r.
Products used, abused and loved from:
Ed at

Alex at

Jim at

Kyle at

With out these guys , it would not be as much fun.
post #8 of 20 Old 02-17-2010, 06:57 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to smo0oth1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crwh45 View Post
Also, don't force dry it. Let it dry naturally, meaning don't use air. If you have a boot dryer (Like Peets), you could slip it over and let it dry quicker, but the best thing is just to air dry it in a warm room. You could use an oil or something, such as a parts washer, and also, if you get the K&N recharge kit, I am pretty sure it comes with a solvent for cleaning. I got mine right at autozone for my car and truck.

I've never heard to not force dry one, Whats the cons of it?

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
post #9 of 20 Old 02-17-2010, 07:46 PM

I was taught by my Dad,(an old snowmobile rider) to wash filters in dish soap,lightly, then let air dry, then spray externally with a light coat of wd40. Has worked great for me.

2008 honda700xx
2007 honda250ex(wifes)
2009 FORD F150 supercab

"KEEP EM' STOCK, KEEP EM' LONGER!!!
post #10 of 20 Old 02-17-2010, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Baxter
People try differant things. I run differant to you guys in the US because it works for me.
If it works for you then stick with it.

2008 TT-ReXX , 2003 400ex and 2014 CRF250r.
Products used, abused and loved from:
Ed at

Alex at

Jim at

Kyle at

With out these guys , it would not be as much fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode