1st day out. WTF. Please read! Malfunction??? - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 03-14-2010, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1st day out. WTF. Please read! Malfunction???

So I went out to the desert in Arizona today. Mile marker 11.5 aka the boulders. Really nice with lots of steep hills, woops, sandy turns, burms, etc. Anyway as I came down a trail I shifted gears and the reverse light came on and the quad started sputtering and didn't seem to be in gear correctly. It definitely wasn't in reverse and it seemed more like a fuel or airflow issue than a trans problem. Well I thought I was stuck in a small gully and started to worry. I played around with the reverse lever, shifted up and down and messed with the throttle and clutch. As unexpectedly as the issue arose it also seemed to resolve spontaneously. I rode for another half hour and no further problems. WTF?? Does any one have any idea where the problem was? HELP!! I don't want to end up stranded out on a trail. There were plenty of people there today and I'm sure I could have gotten towed out but if I were in a less popular area I could be in big trouble.

I'd also like to add my impressions of my very first ride. I can see where the 13 tooth sprocket would make this thing come alive. There were a lot of rocky sharp turns. huge 20- 40 foot drops followed immediately by a steep climb. The gearing between 2nd and third seemed too far apart so I could definitely see the 13 making 3rd more useful.The trail had 8-10 inch boulders that I literally couldn't feel. What a great suspension. The front end does seem to want to plow through the tight loose turns but I'm sure that I can learn to get it to slide and know better tires and perhaps a sway bar will help with the under steer. Boots. I had a pair of $200 motocross boots on that saved my ankle as I stupidly put my foot down when the quad leaned and got it jammed under the peg. Broke a buckle not a bone. I was going to get nerfs but having good strong boots may be enough. Matlock, yeah I know he's a pro, only uses heel guards. I wonder if he believes nerfs are not needed if you have good boots.
This was literally my very first time ever on a quad. I'm 49, too heavy by 30 pounds and not as nimble as I used to be. The quad very responsive. I am the type who likes to push a vehicle to it's limits and while I'm sure I didn't come close I did push my limits.

I learned how to ride motorcycles when I was 15 and rode street bikes. My last was a Valkyrie. Every bike I ever owned was a Honda. I really thought I'd have a problem with the thumb throttle but I honestly never even thought about it. Throttle and clutch control just came instinctively. I also intuitively didn't use the clutch except when I had to. That was a first for me as well.

To the guys who want more power, I can't wait until I get to that level. For now a $22 sprocket should do for my needs but I would like to put a slip on and K&N filter on pretty soon just to let it breath a bit better. I'm 10 minutes away from great riding area and hopefully will be riding at least 3 days a week. By next fall I hope to really have this thing under control. I will need a lot of practice. But this is fun and great exercise as well. I had a great time.

Last edited by markas214; 03-14-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-14-2010, 12:55 AM

Congrats on the quad man, good to hear you are enjoying it. I have never heard of a problem like you are describing nor have I ever experienced it. Did you check your oil level to make sure its at the correct level? Your transmission shares the oil with the motor. Just a thought.

2008 Red/Black 700xx EHS Airbox Lid, EHS Tuner, Barkers Full Exhaust, AMR Diamond Plate Graphics Kit, ProArmor Fat Peg Nerfs Powdercoated Black
post #3 of 14 Old 03-14-2010, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel700xx View Post
Congrats on the quad man, good to hear you are enjoying it. I have never heard of a problem like you are describing nor have I ever experienced it. Did you check your oil level to make sure its at the correct level? Your transmission shares the oil with the motor. Just a thought.

I did a complete pre ride inspection. I was going through a lot of puddles but I've seen guys knee deep in mud so I wouldn't think it was an electrical problem. Hopefully some one will have an idea. Are there any electronic sensors for the trans?

post #4 of 14 Old 03-14-2010, 01:06 AM

Sounds like it could easily be a problem with the reverse sensor wire, if the reverse light was on then the computer was giving it the same governor that you have in reverse, which would be a real problem going forwards!!

2008 TRX700XX Black/Red
Mods:
Trail Tech Vapor with Riser
Pro Taper Contour mid-bend ATV bars
ODI Rogue Grips
FX Hot Start lever on the bars for Reverse Lever with a custom cable made with a bicycle cable
Pro Armour FatPeg Nerfs
Pro Armour Bullhorn front bumper
PRM rear grab bar
PRM .190 full skid plate
Pro Design K&N Intake
EHS Fuel programmer
EHS/Barker Full Exhaust, Blacked out
22" Razr2 fronts
22" Razr rears
DS450 front reservoir shocks
L8ton 11/16 Sway bar
post #5 of 14 Old 03-14-2010, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkcruzer View Post
Sounds like it could easily be a problem with the reverse sensor wire, if the reverse light was on then the computer was giving it the same governor that you have in reverse, which would be a real problem going forwards!!

Hmmm. Solution? Warranty repair? Should I have the dealer check it?
post #6 of 14 Old 03-14-2010, 01:40 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Baxter
Quote:
Originally Posted by markas214 View Post
It would be a good idea to get it checked out by your dealer. Like you said next time you maybe on your own.

2008 TT-ReXX , 2003 400ex and 2014 CRF250r.
Products used, abused and loved from:
Ed at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alex at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jim at

Kyle at

With out these guys , it would not be as much fun.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-14-2010, 01:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to crwh45
Quote:
Originally Posted by markas214 View Post
You can remove it like a lot of people here do. I would just check to make sure it was connected tightly. Also, if you havent already, you can download the complete maintenance manual in the how to section.
About not having nerfs. If you have good boots sure, but as for me they serve more than one purpose. Sure they help protect my legs from other people, allow more surface area for my foot to catch in case it came off the quad....yadayadayada, but a think I like about it a lot, if im out riding on a nice sunny day and want to cruise around, I like to put my legs out and stretch while riding, almost like im riding a cruiser.

2008 700xx; Power Bomb header with power core 4 exhaust, Power Programmer III, pro armor nerfs, prm products control front and rear bumpers and full skid, 10" ITP rears, ITP Baja's fronts, RZR 2's all the way around, Uni filter, 13t sprocket, CCP steering Damper, DS450 shock swap, Dual Gasser Throttle, bar risers and Moose barkBusters. 730XX kit plus other engine mods!
post #8 of 14 Old 03-14-2010, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwh45 View Post
You can remove it like a lot of people here do. I would just check to make sure it was connected tightly. Also, if you havent already, you can download the complete maintenance manual in the how to section.
About not having nerfs. If you have good boots sure, but as for me they serve more than one purpose. Sure they help protect my legs from other people, allow more surface area for my foot to catch in case it came off the quad....yadayadayada, but a think I like about it a lot, if im out riding on a nice sunny day and want to cruise around, I like to put my legs out and stretch while riding, almost like im riding a cruiser.
OK. I'll download the manual. Why do people remove it? Any idea how to do it?
post #9 of 14 Old 03-14-2010, 04:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkcruzer View Post
After searching "reverse" in this forum it sounds exactly like what you are describing. I actually was able to creep aliong at a couple mph. There's a post on how to cut the limiter and splice to switch wire so you lose the limiter and keep the reverse light. Personally I believe the limiter had a valid purpose so I think I'll just check the connections and make sure the wires are well insulated. Thanks guys.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-14-2010, 04:29 AM

It could be a faulty sensor, but it could be something broken or malfunctioned in the tranny, so a trip to the dealer should be in order! Also, the first time you are in mud or snow, you will wish you had removed the reverse speed limiter, it can be a major pain in the butt when you are trying to back up but need just a little extra juice, and then it cuts out and almost dies cuz the limiter kicks in!
Jason

2008 TRX700XX Black/Red
Mods:
Trail Tech Vapor with Riser
Pro Taper Contour mid-bend ATV bars
ODI Rogue Grips
FX Hot Start lever on the bars for Reverse Lever with a custom cable made with a bicycle cable
Pro Armour FatPeg Nerfs
Pro Armour Bullhorn front bumper
PRM rear grab bar
PRM .190 full skid plate
Pro Design K&N Intake
EHS Fuel programmer
EHS/Barker Full Exhaust, Blacked out
22" Razr2 fronts
22" Razr rears
DS450 front reservoir shocks
L8ton 11/16 Sway bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode