Managing Throttle Response - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 02-04-2017, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Managing Throttle Response

I am a new owner of a Honda TRX700XX. What I don't like is the twitchy throttle response. By that I mean starting out with very little pressure on the thumb control is almost like going to WOT. This thing is going to be difficult to finesse over some steep rocky parts of the trail. Is a programmer what is needed to make the throttle response easier to manage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-04-2017, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think that's one of the reasons a lot of people switch to a 13 tooth front sprocket to gear it down a little for trail riding.
post #3 of 15 Old 02-05-2017, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Yea, I have read quite a few posts about 13 tooth front sprockets. I think that is worth a try and the cost is minimal. I thought about using a stiffer return spring also.

Am I the only one that dislikes this throttle? I mean the thing is more like an on/off switch than a throttle control. Were you able to adapt?

post #4 of 15 Old 02-05-2017, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage
I had complainded about the touchy throttle in the past to. It is part of Honda's EFI system. The bike riders have the same issue. It's basically called fuel cut, for emissions.

Changing the sprocket will not help the throttle. Won't have to use the clutch as much in the tighter trails with the 13 tooth front sprocket.

I have a Dynojet programmer with the auto tune option and the throttle now works like it should have from the factory.

2008 700xx with lots of goodies.
Part time IATVHSS racer (when time and $$ allow)
post #5 of 15 Old 02-05-2017, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Garage
just wondering ,,, you running with the air box lid on or off?

751 ,barker pipe,290 Web cam,+3 stroker,TB bored to 46.8 and moved back from head 1 inch,+3 big bore , +1 intake valves, Hard Welded Rockers,KW springs, ported, clutch mod , air box removed ,Cat oil mod, dynojet commander V w/auto tune , lowered rear end , TRX450R front shocks ,
post #6 of 15 Old 02-05-2017, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataway View Post
just wondering ,,, you running with the air box lid on or off?
As for the engine I am running stock except for a UNI air filter and an exhaust header wrap. That is as far as I can tell not knowing the bike's history.
post #7 of 15 Old 02-05-2017, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luecker View Post
I had complainded about the touchy throttle in the past to. It is part of Honda's EFI system. The bike riders have the same issue. It's basically called fuel cut, for emissions.

Changing the sprocket will not help the throttle. Won't have to use the clutch as much in the tighter trails with the 13 tooth front sprocket.

I have a Dynojet programmer with the auto tune option and the throttle now works like it should have from the factory.
Looking at Power Commander WEB site, the Power Commander V is their current offering. Looks like a nice system specially with the O2 sensor option. Did you start out with the full boat system, or did you add Autotune afterward? I'm hoping it isnt necessary to spring for $700+ all at once.

Last edited by Technoholic; 02-05-2017 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Additional info
post #8 of 15 Old 02-05-2017, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Garage
ok,, how does it run with the box lid off?

751 ,barker pipe,290 Web cam,+3 stroker,TB bored to 46.8 and moved back from head 1 inch,+3 big bore , +1 intake valves, Hard Welded Rockers,KW springs, ported, clutch mod , air box removed ,Cat oil mod, dynojet commander V w/auto tune , lowered rear end , TRX450R front shocks ,
post #9 of 15 Old 02-05-2017, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Garage
I agree the 13t won't help, if anything I'd think it would make it worse! Personally I never had a issue with the throttle. And you saying it's like a on off switch is puzzling. You mentioned a stiffer spring, does it not snap back on its own? I'm wondering if you may be better off with a twist throttle.

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, DG 6 Pack Rack, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 Old 02-05-2017, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Quick View Post
I agree the 13t won't help, if anything I'd think it would make it worse! Personally I never had a issue with the throttle. And you saying it's like a on off switch is puzzling. You mentioned a stiffer spring, does it not snap back on its own? I'm wondering if you may be better off with a twist throttle.
I have ridden with thumb throttles for many years so that familiarity is something I would like to keep. The thinking behind a stiffer spring was to maybe make it easier to control that first tiny bit of travel. Return is not an issue but the current spring is rather light making it very easy to hit way too much throttle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode