Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

Overheat problems?

6K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Kubi07 
#1 ·
Hey guys, so I've bought a used TRX700 about a week ago and a couple days ago I've noticed that after a few hours of using it, the reverse, PGM-FI and the Reverse indicator lights turn on like when I put the key to on and the bike slows itself down by not moving anymore when I give it throttle. So I'm wondering if this is due to it overheating or is it another problem, and if it is overheating, what can I do to diagnose it. Hope to get it fixed soon, thanks.

#2 ·
Post is somewhat confusing to me. Is quad over heating or not? As far as the the reverse indicator, check the sensors by the foot shifter. 1 is for neutral other for reverse. I forget which is which right off. But what it sounds like is one of them is shorted and makes the quad think your in reverse, there for it cuts out, anything over 12 mph I think. I think you can just unplug sensors and test, but you will loose your lights. Also see thread on reverse Rev limitor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Yea I can see how it can be confusing. So basically, after a couple hours of riding, the bike momentarily loses throttle response and the PGM-FI, hot temp, and reverse indicator light up and then goes back to normal. Hope that's more clear.

#4 ·
Radiator clean ?

#6 ·
Well check the sensors, radiator level and for debris. While cap is off the radiator, let quad run at a idle to check the water pump is circulating and make sure fan comes on.

#8 ·
Okay, so I removed the radiator cap and let it run, and after a few minutes the coolant rose and started to drip from where I removed the cap. After that I just turned it off. The fan didn't come on but I know the fan works since I saw it on before.

#9 ·
And yesterday I let it run for about 10-15 minutes until the fan turned on so I know that works fine. I flushed the coolant and checked the water pump and that worked as well. I took out the radiator and hosed it down for a while until no black was coming out and that was it. Gonna check the thermostat and put everything back today and hopefully I won't have the problem reoccurring.

#10 ·
Sounds like that should cure the temp light issue, but what did you find out on the reverse sensor?

#11 ·
Thermostat way working fine too, so I'm guessing its not even an overheating problem. Maybe its something electrical that acts up when it gets too hot since it doesn't happen early on, just after a few hours. I cleaned the air intake as well and rode it for about an hour pretty hard with no problems at all. I checked the fuses and they seemed fine too, the battery negative was kinda lose and so I tightened it. I have no idea what it can be, such a weird problem. What do you think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.