Votes: 12 8.9%
  • only some of the time

Votes: 24 17.8%
  • only first and to down shift

Votes: 4 3.0%

Clutch when Shifting

23K views 100 replies 49 participants last post by  hondarider203 
#1 ·
Ok so I learned today the reasons why you should always use your clutch when shifting but asking around there are a lot of people who only use it in first and reverse.

What do you do or dont do???

#3 ·
I always use my clutch, except in an emergency!

#6 ·
ditto!

#5 ·
Always use my clutch, maybe that's why I don't go no where LMAO!!

Have used the clutch ever since I learned to ride, once in awhile I might hit the shifter without using the clutch and it changes my gear but that's rare.

Some people do use it only to start rolling then they just shift gears without the clutch, they just roll back the throttle but again I had a friend that used to drag race and he would use it to start rolling then would just shift keeping the throttle wide open, pretty sure after each race he would check his gears for wear and tear.

#8 ·
I use the clutch most of the time. A lot of the time when just cruising I just shift. Didn't vote because there is no option for most of the time/sometimes. Same on my motorcycles. Under hard accel I use the clutch because a screw up under full power may cost me some cash and garage time. I know it is faster in a race to not use the clutch, but I would rather lose and be riding the next day than win and spend the next day(s) fixing what I broke.

#10 ·
If it has a clutch and a stock tranny I use the clutch when shifting. If the tranny has been "proshifted" then you dont have to use the clutch to shift up but you cannot let off the gas without pulling in the clutch or youl jam up the shift forks. Its a drag only mod.

#13 ·
I use the clutch most of the time, and I'd like to think I have very quick reflexes and it would be fairly close if I were timed btwn using the clutch and not if I have to shift in a hurry. The only time when I dont use the clutch is when I am doing distance wheelies with anything, and I always use it going from first to second. I don't want to be that A-hole that hits his rev limiter and have the machine go from 1st to neutral. But to also look at it, a lot of PRO TRUCK (tractor trailer) drivers and even small pick-up diesel drivers hardly use their clutches as well. IDK, I like my toys to be nice, so I treat them how I'd like a lady to treat me most of the time.

#19 ·
I use the clutch most of the time, and I'd like to think I have very quick reflexes and it would be fairly close if I were timed btwn using the clutch and not if I have to shift in a hurry. The only time when I dont use the clutch is when I am doing distance wheelies with anything, and I always use it going from first to second. I don't want to be that A-hole that hits his rev limiter and have the machine go from 1st to neutral. But to also look at it, a lot of PRO TRUCK (tractor trailer) drivers and even small pick-up diesel drivers hardly use their clutches as well. IDK, I like my toys to be nice, so I treat them how I'd like a lady to treat me most of the time.

The reason the truck drivers don't clutch is the transmissions on the large trucks do not have srychroniziers in the transmissions, smaller transmissions do have including the 700xx also the engines on the trucks are slower to rev up and down due to the larger sizes and therefore you can shift without a clutch once again I say use the clutch and save the tranny,:eek:hno:

#16 ·
Always use clutch also, don't wanna replace broken parts constantly and broken tranny parts can get expensive. I want my XX to live longer.

#22 ·
Exactly. As you can do it in anything with a manual. It is obviously a lot easier in something a lot bigger as the engine speed changes a lot slower than say the XX. But regardless, if anyone is questioning to use a clutch or not, you should to be more on the safe side.

#25 ·
You should add most of the time or usually. Tearing ass in the desert often requires a quick shift and I don't always have time to grab the clutch or just need to hold on tight.

#27 ·
+1 Most of the time I'll use the clutch... except for the times that I need a fast shift UP. Always use the clutch to shift down. I haven't done desert racing, but there are other places that it's nice to accelerate hard and fast. I take a different view of things. I want my quad to do what I want it to do when I want it to. If I brake something, I'll fix it.

roadkill

#33 · (Edited)
no, you do not have to double clutch while shifting in a big rig (13 speed or whatever). you can change gears with only one push of the clutch, with two pushes of the clutch (double clutching), or with no use of the clutch at all. I have done all of these methods at different times. Double Clutching is recommended for big rigs but not required. The transmissions in big rigs are synchronized, this is why you can gear up (and down if your good) without the use of its clutch, much easier than say a 5 speed Honda Civic.

#32 ·
ok so I never use my clutch going up...today I did by the end of the day it popped and stalled twice. Whats strange is I know I was in first but both times I had to down shift back to first....ever heard of this...

#35 ·
never use the clutch on an upshift unless i am WOT and speed shifting up, then just a slight slip....and maybe a little slip coming through corners when needed....maybe this is just an old motocross habits...XX seems to take it like a champ....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.