LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 41 Old 08-18-2018, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeljake69 View Post
****UPDATE****

I finally got off the cam chain and got the rest of the motor apart, it seems as if m_quick was correct. The cylinder got a crack in it and blew out causing extensive damage to the piston and cylinder. The valves seems to be in okay condition? but I'm not sure if the gap that I tried my best to show is suppose to be there or not; they definitely look used and I will probably be getting new ones since I already have it apart. As far as the crank goes, I'm not to sure on what a bad one would look like? And I don't want to take the motor all the way out of the frame just to check, unless I have to.. Obviously I want to do everything I can to where when I put it back together, I have a quality reliable quad, rather than a ticking time bomb because I halfway did it. Is there any kind of like test or anything that would tell me if the crank was bad? The motor spins great and the piston still goes in its usual motion. The piston arm? is still in good shape it seems. Idk, i have attached some decent photos of the damage done and some things that maybe I thought may need replaced but might not? As I said before, any and all help is much appreciated.
More pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2676.jpg (64.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2675.jpg (80.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2674.jpg (63.9 KB, 8 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 Old 08-18-2018, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Quick View Post
Mine was the design of the piston. If you look at the piston, it has skirts on 2 sides. Once one side cracks, there's nothing left to hold it in place. So it slaps around and cracks the jug/cylinder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
So these are stock pistons that are failing and causing the engine to explode?

2017 Honda TRX500 Rubicon
2008 Honda TRX700XX
1995 Honda TRX 300EX
2001 Honda TRX 90
1986 Honda TRX 70
1985 ATC 250 SX
2003 Kawasaki KFX50
post #13 of 41 Old 08-18-2018, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footy View Post
So these are stock pistons that are failing and causing the engine to explode?
It's just a issue with any slipper piston, imo. And that's what cracked here causing the jug to crack, not the other way around.

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 41 Old 08-18-2018, 11:13 PM

Garage
To OP most people will tell you to replace the crank and bearings. And to do this you will need to pull motor and split the case. If your wrist pin comes out easy, that's a good sign crank may be okay. If you don't wanna replace the crank, you will have to make every effort to clean all the shrapnel out of the bottom of motor. Most of the time when this happens the motor will lock before damaging the crank. I'm wondering since you had the issue with the cam chain if you have the service manual? Also replace the cam chain while apart. And you need to pull your valve springs to check the rods and valve guides in the head. When mine blew all the valve rods were bent and atleast one valve guide cracked.

Sent from Bristol Motor Speedway using Tapatalk

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by M_Quick; 08-19-2018 at 08:48 PM. Reason: |
post #15 of 41 Old 08-18-2018, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Quick View Post
To OP most people will tell you to replace the crank and bearings. And to do this you will need to pull motor and split the case. If your wrist pin comes out easy, that's a good sign crank may be okay. If you don't wanna replace the crank, you will have to make every effort to clean all the shrapnel out of the bottom of motor. Most of the time when this happens the motor will lock before damaging the crank. I'm wondering since you had the issue with the cam chain if you have the service manual? Also replace the cam chain while apart. And you need to pull your valve springs to check the rods and valve guides in the head. When mine blew the all rods were bent and atleast one valve guide cracked.

Sent from Bristol Motor Speedway using Tapatalk
I do have the service manual somewhere in my garage, I'm not sure where but I should have found it and researched it rather than googling everything.. Minor setback but I will be sure to do so in the future. The only reason i wouldn't want to replace the crank is the price tag that is on them. But i guess replacing it now would save money in the future so I guess i will go the extra mile into taking everything apart. I'd rather do that anyway just to triple check all of the shrapnel is out. Part of me wants to do whats needed and slap it back together but the other half wants to take my time to do everything correctly to ensure the life of the quad. I just wasn't sure at first if it was 100% necessary to take everything apart since it was just the top end. I guess i'll spend tomorrow ripping it from the cage! I'm sure more pictures will come.
post #16 of 41 Old 08-19-2018, 08:50 PM

Garage
Should be a link for the service manual here, in pdf. If you can't find it let me know.

post #17 of 41 Old 08-19-2018, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Got the motor out. Have gotten all the bolts that I could find to split it and couldn't get it to come apart. Not sure if you have to take the main gears off of the main axle in there but I will try to do that when I have my girlfriend there to help. Everything still seems to be in good shape though other than the obviously destroyed stuff. May go ahead and start ordering a couple parts that I know for sure i will need. Any recommendations for anything? I was thinking of the big bore kit but don't know if it's plug and play or I'd have to get the cylinder or whatever machined to make it work. I already know i'm going to get 2 new sprockets both the front and the back ones to increase overall speed, but still try to keep my power down low. That, and i know i will need new tires and wheels shortly after fixing it due to it sitting for so long.
post #18 of 41 Old 08-20-2018, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
From what I know, the big bore kit is plug and play. And if you decide to replace your crank, you can replace it with a stroker crank.
post #19 of 41 Old 08-20-2018, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Pretty interesting posting
post #20 of 41 Old 08-20-2018, 06:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by barongan View Post
Pretty interesting posting

so are your only 2 post

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode