Motor blew up, top end rebuild! - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old 08-17-2018, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Motor blew up, top end rebuild!

Okay so about 3 years ago, (i know a long time ago), I was riding my 700xx at a cruising speed of around 45-50 in 5th gear when it just locked up. My instinct was to pull in the clutch immediately and roll to a stop. I look down and notice a crap ton of coolant pouring out of a rather large hole right next to my exhaust. I immediately call and get it home and it has sat like that until yesterday when i began tearing into it. I got all the way to having the valve cover? or whatever it is called off and the plate that i'd assume being the transmission cover. I am fairly good with engines and know how they operate and stuff, just don't know terms of most stuff. I have attached pictures that I have taken in hopes that someone with a lot more experience than me can help me. I am just looking to get the motor apart and replace anything that is busted with not stock parts, just not anything crazy that I will have to buy a programmer and dyno it and stuff. I rode this thing every day and loved every minute of it. Tore me apart when it tore up and have wanted to fix it since it broke. So any help is very much appreciated, and any part recommendations/websites to get those parts would be much appreciated as well! I want to put new parts back in it, but I'm a college student so money isn't a thing I have a lot of.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2667.jpg (54.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2663.jpg (39.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2664.jpg (72.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2665.jpg (45.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2666.jpg (89.7 KB, 18 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 08-17-2018, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

I really have no idea why the pictures rotated themselves.. I guess it automatically did it because of the resolution difference. I apologize for that in advance!
post #3 of 41 Old 08-17-2018, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds like your piston came apart like mine. Hopefully your crank is okay. But you need to open up from the top, not the sides. Take valve cover off, then the jug. Inspect valves, rods, cam chain. Your piston will most likely be mangled.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by M_Quick; 08-17-2018 at 09:56 PM.

post #4 of 41 Old 08-17-2018, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Quick View Post
Sounds like your piston came apart like mine. Hopefully your crank is okay. But you need to open up from the top, not the sides. Take valve cover off, then the jug. Inspect valves, rods, cam chain. Your piston will most likely be mangled.

I am curious as to why one of these engines would fail? I have read several threads where guys have mentioned that their 700xx had blown the engine. Its got me a little nervous. I like to push the happy lever as much as possible.

2017 Honda TRX500 Rubicon
2013 Husaberg FE350
2008 Honda TRX700XX
1995 Honda TRX 300EX
2001 Honda TRX 90
1986 Honda TRX 70
1985 ATC 250 SX
post #5 of 41 Old 08-17-2018, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footy View Post
I am curious as to why one of these engines would fail? I have read several threads where guys have mentioned that their 700xx had blown the engine. Its got me a little nervous. I like to push the happy lever as much as possible.
Mine was the design of the piston. If you look at the piston, it has skirts on 2 sides. Once one side cracks, there's nothing left to hold it in place. So it slaps around and cracks the jug/cylinder.

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 41 Old 08-17-2018, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

I tried that at the beginning but seems as if the cam chain is holding it down and I don't see a way i can just slide the cam out of it and lift it out. I removed the 4 top bolts on the inside of the valve cover and got one side to pry up a little, but the cam chain side didn't seem to budge at all, leading me to believe the chain had to be removed. So i tried following the chain down to the side plate and seen the many pieces of aluminum or whatever it is all down in the bottom so i'll clean it out. I was wondering if there was some special way to remove the valve portion of the motor to get to the jug? Or if the cam/cam chain has to be removed. And if they have to be removed, how to go about it. I tried putting a nut and breaker bar on the little sprocket and the motor just spun, even when it was in gear. So instead of doing more damage, i figured i'd quit and research more before I carried on with the journey.
post #7 of 41 Old 08-17-2018, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footy View Post
I'm not really sure. It seems to be the luck of the draw to me, which sucks.. But I guess there was a reason they only made these things for 2 years? I'm not really sure. I hope you have better luck than us though!
post #8 of 41 Old 08-18-2018, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
You're gonna have to break the chain to be able to do anything, most likely it's the Piston as M_Quick mentioned.
post #9 of 41 Old 08-18-2018, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubi07 View Post
You're gonna have to break the chain to be able to do anything, most likely it's the Piston as M_Quick mentioned.
Surely there is a way other than breaking it to get it off.. Probably similar to the way you put it on, but with reverse steps? I don't know, that just seems kinda weird that the only way to get it off is to break it.
post #10 of 41 Old 08-18-2018, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

****UPDATE****

I finally got off the cam chain and got the rest of the motor apart, it seems as if m_quick was correct. The cylinder got a crack in it and blew out causing extensive damage to the piston and cylinder. The valves seems to be in okay condition? but I'm not sure if the gap that I tried my best to show is suppose to be there or not; they definitely look used and I will probably be getting new ones since I already have it apart. As far as the crank goes, I'm not to sure on what a bad one would look like? And I don't want to take the motor all the way out of the frame just to check, unless I have to.. Obviously I want to do everything I can to where when I put it back together, I have a quality reliable quad, rather than a ticking time bomb because I halfway did it. Is there any kind of like test or anything that would tell me if the crank was bad? The motor spins great and the piston still goes in its usual motion. The piston arm? is still in good shape it seems. Idk, i have attached some decent photos of the damage done and some things that maybe I thought may need replaced but might not? As I said before, any and all help is much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2669.jpg (58.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2670.jpg (65.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2673.jpg (73.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2672.jpg (91.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2671.jpg (68.9 KB, 12 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode