Is a stage 3 HotCam worth it without other engine work? If so, How to? - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 01-10-2019, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Is a stage 3 HotCam worth it without other engine work? If so, How to?

My exact Mods are as followed:

Full HMF Performance Full Exhaust
UNI Foam filter
No lid
13T front sprocket
5/8 Sway bar
Steering Damper

Without any other mods to the engine, is a stage 3 cam worth doing? will i see a decent bump in Power? Speed? how much?

I ride a lot in sand, but also do a lot of tight technical trails. I've read a stage 2 is a waste of time and you might as well do a stage 3? is this true?

I do not want to lose any reliability, Or low end power.

From what ive read its a fairly simple job, however i have zero experience in it.

I just adjusted my valves, and it is now running better than ever, how much further do you have to tear down to swap out the cam? How do i get the timing chain on and off and make sure that i get it back on corerctly. Im completely new at this so any help would be great.

Thanks so much.

Last edited by kyleking777; 01-10-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-10-2019, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleking777 View Post

UNI Foam filter
No lid
13T front sprocket
5/8 Sway bar
Steering Damper

Without any other mods to the engine, is a stage 3 cam worth doing? will i see a decent bump in Power? Speed? how much?

I ride a lot in sand, but also do a lot of tight technical trails. I've read a stage 2 is a waste of time and you might as well do a stage 3? is this true?

From what ive read its a fairly simple job, however i have zero experience in it.

I just adjusted my valves, and it is now running better than ever, how much further do you have to tear down to swap out the cam? How do i get the timing chain on and off and make sure that i get it back on corerctly. Im completely new at this so any help would be great.

Thanks so much.
hummm, ahhhh...... well .....i'm thinking you should have some one do it for you

751 ,barker pipe,290 Web cam,+3 stroker,TB bored to 46.8 and moved back from head 1 inch,+3 big bore , +1 intake valves, Hard Welded Rockers,KW springs, ported, clutch mod , air box removed ,Cat oil mod, dynojet commander V w/auto tune , lowered rear end , TRX450R front shocks ,
post #3 of 10 Old 01-11-2019, 04:14 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage

UNI Foam filter
No lid
13T front sprocket
5/8 Sway bar
Steering Damper

Thanks so much.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

without programmer,
with current mods,
your trx should be very lean

post #4 of 10 Old 01-11-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by /CUDA View Post

UNI Foam filter
No lid
13T front sprocket
5/8 Sway bar
Steering Damper

Thanks so much.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

without programmer,
with current mods,
your trx should be very lean
Sorry!!! I also have a LEXX EFI tuner.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-11-2019, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

It will be noticeable, and well worth the $150 investment, unless your talking about a web cam. then of coarse you will need the h/duty springs and h/welded rockers. Which are a good investment as well.

Edit, also if you do add the cam, you should probably replace the chain while at it.

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by M_Quick; 01-11-2019 at 04:44 PM.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-11-2019, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Garage
yep new chain , great idea

did all that plus +1 on the intake valves and cleaned up the porting .then went one step farther and did one more mod to get more oil to the camshaft .

751 ,barker pipe,290 Web cam,+3 stroker,TB bored to 46.8 and moved back from head 1 inch,+3 big bore , +1 intake valves, Hard Welded Rockers,KW springs, ported, clutch mod , air box removed ,Cat oil mod, dynojet commander V w/auto tune , lowered rear end , TRX450R front shocks ,
post #7 of 10 Old 01-13-2019, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Then up the compression to get back the little bit of bottom end you are going to lose with HC3.

734 09 Raptor
Meglodon by Bo,KW springs, Web 4 Cam, 54mm TB, 105.5mm CP cylinder, 14:1 CP,Barkers Inframe,Dynatek Coil,PC V,Dynatek Programable ignition,CCP stabilizer,+5 swinger,Boss Noss Sys, Direct Drive Lock-up, KDS Evac valve,HID Light conversion,SPAL fan
Tuned by EHS Racing 78hp 55Tq
post #8 of 10 Old 01-14-2019, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09RappySE View Post
Then up the compression to get back the little bit of bottom end you are going to lose with HC3.
Do you really lose that much low end? from what ive read it is about the same as stock on low end, but mid and high is a huge improvment. Not that im lacking any of that from my current mods, but
post #9 of 10 Old 01-16-2019, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
personally I would not add the cam until you need to go into the engine for a bigger reason. Like these other guys have said then do these other mods to keep the engine strong internally as well as on the dyno. If you just want to spend some money on your 700 I would spend money on suspension, tires and beadlock wheels. I come from the school of thought that if you spend more money on the fuel going through your engine the atv will start going a lot faster because the operator will be more comfortable and confident. Point being if you are buying lots of fuel for the atv then you must be riding it a lot. Seat time is what I need more than anything.

2017 Honda TRX500 Rubicon
2013 Husaberg FE350
2008 Honda TRX700XX
1995 Honda TRX 300EX
2001 Honda TRX 90
1986 Honda TRX 70
1985 ATC 250 SX
post #10 of 10 Old 01-16-2019, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Do you really lose that much low end? from what ive read it is about the same as stock on low end, but mid and high is a huge improvment. Not that im lacking any of that from my current mods, but
Can't have your cake and eat it too without supporting mods.....It may not be as noticeable on the XX, but you will loose some. On the raptor, its not huge, but you can notice it, and the stock piston sucks anyway.lol

All motors love compression.

734 09 Raptor
Meglodon by Bo,KW springs, Web 4 Cam, 54mm TB, 105.5mm CP cylinder, 14:1 CP,Barkers Inframe,Dynatek Coil,PC V,Dynatek Programable ignition,CCP stabilizer,+5 swinger,Boss Noss Sys, Direct Drive Lock-up, KDS Evac valve,HID Light conversion,SPAL fan
Tuned by EHS Racing 78hp 55Tq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode