Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

Blue Smoke & Engine Bogging

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Fenmore 
#1 ·
Alright so quick story time. Today we went riding at a park and everything was running good as a Honda normally does. However, towards the end of our 8 hour ride, the 700 started smoking a lot to the point where it concerned me. It has smoked moderately before but today was A LOT more than normal.

So we finished out the ride, and went back to the shop to clean them all up and there was still a lot of oil in the reservoir but it was not showing on the dipstick. I also took the dipstick out and checked for smoke coming out of the reservoir after some revving (no smoke). After cleaning them up, it started backfiring a lot with some abnormally large flames coming out of the back so I decided to take it for a quick drive. It would cut out randomly while accelerating and keep going without dying out completely but nevertheless, it bogs out. (It has never done that before and there was absolutely no signs of loss of power while riding.)

I do feel it is important to add that I have an aftermarket HMF slip on exhuast but I never bought an optimizer for it since it was a slip on. I have a very good (yet bad) feeling that this is part of my problem. However, I am not sure what is currently damaged, what needs to be looked at, or how to prevent it from happening again.

I would really like to open her up and fix it on my own so that way I know what's going on and that way I can expand my knowledge with the 700. If it is going to be a very complicated and delicate process, I may take it to a shop.

Any information would be greatly appreciated! I am open to suggestions as well as to which route would be the best for fixing what is wrong with it!

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like oil rings. And then semi fouled plug.

Sent from my Couch using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I would start with the spark plug since that is the easiest to eliminate.
Has the motor ever been touched? Its probably time for a new top end anyway. They are relatively easy to do as long as you have the necessities (torque wrench, honda manual, some gauges). I would stick with OEM everything (piston, rings, gaskets). Very important to measure the cylinder and make sure its in good condition.
With a slip on, it should run leaner. If its smoking it would be running rich. So I doubt that the slip on is the problem.
One other thing to consider is on my CRF's they have a crank vent hose that sometimes needs to be emptied. I don't have a lot of hours or ride time on my TRX700 so I'm not sure if they have this or not (I would imagine they do). Would have to check the manual.
My first guess would be the spark plug/vent hose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.