Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

Flame out / cutting off

10K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  jacinda 
#1 ·
I don't really get to ride my 700 as much, but when I do it randomly will shut off. Not while moving but when I come to a stop (like waiting on the group to cross something or if I stop to go over something slowly). It doesn't happen all the time but it will happen 3-4 times during say a 4 hour ride.
It usually starts right back up and is fine for a while.
On a few occasions I will start it right back it up and it will "poof" out, not backfire but just go poof. LOL.
Its all stock except DMC slip on and a DMC programmer and K&N filter.
I checked the valves and they were spot on.
Also, its always had the issue of from a cold start it will start up idle for about 5 seconds and shut off, start it again and it will idle for about 10 seconds then shuts off. 3rd time it stays running. This is every time I start it since I've owned it.
Any advice? I thought at one point it might be something with the engine stop switch, but its too random.
Do these have a fuel filter? Again I doubt this to be the problem since it would happen more often if the filter was dirty.

#2 ·
Do you have the service manual? Yes there's a fuel filter in the pump.

Sent from my garage using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I have never had my 700 to die after starting cold. However I have had it stall or flame out when decelerating to slow down for a large puddle or cross a log etc. This is the one thing that I hate about my 700xx. I really wish I could find the source of the problem and resolve it. I thought about taking it to EHS to see if they could find the problem but he seams to be more interested in tuning in his performance parts. That is not what I want. I want my stock quad to run properly.

#5 ·
As I understand it honda updated the fuel filter kit. The updated kit has the filter mounting to the side rather than In the bottom. The theory is that the original setup will plug up with sediment possibly leading to a lean running condition. My 700 runs hot and stalls often. It does this so much that I rarely even want to ride it. I am going to get the new filter kit and see if this corrects the issues that I have experienced. If so I will probably really enjoy this atv.
When I figure out if this solves the stalling/heating issues I will start a thread discussing my findings.

#6 ·
Good Morning Guys,
Ok here's 2 cents worth, Fuel issues are always possible, Fenmore I have almost the same set up as you do, DMC pipe & muffler, FMF fuel controller & Volocity Air Intake is how I got the Quad.
The same exact cold start 3 times & run fine, stall out sometimes on coast down or stop, & didn't run like the raped ape that it is or runs now, so what are the #'s your programmer have for fuel enhancement??
After investigation Dobeck Performance is who made my FMF controller, I contacted them (nice people) & we have a Stage 1 set up with are up grades he suggested reprogramming it to: 2, 3, 2.5, 5, 4, 4 .
The only time it stalls is if I blip the throttle before I stop!!!
2 cents.

#7 ·
I changed the fuel filter today using the updated kit from honda. I tried my best to make the quad engine stall but it never did. It was running cooler as well. It did not back fire or stall with the limited space that I have at home to test it. When I get a chance I will take it some where with more available riding and report back. I did run it down the street fairly fast and chopped the throttle which usually (before I changed the filter) causes it to backfire and/or stall. See the photos. The round filter is the original style from honda back in 2008/9 which sits in the bottom of the fuel bowl under the pump. The square filter mounts on the side of the fuel pump housing.

Attachments

#9 ·
Listen to this guy as he describes the lean running condition that leads to over heating and the other issues associated with running too lean, back firing, flame out etc.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkRNEVN1Q0U[/ame]

#11 ·
What did the filter relocate kit cost? And is it just the new fule filter kit or do they still sale the old style as well? Just wondering so I know how to order it?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

#12 ·
What did the filter relocate kit cost? And is it just the new fule filter kit or do they still sale the old style as well? Just wondering so I know how to order it?

Only the new design filter kit is available from honda. The kit comes with 3 orings, a square-ish filter and a new plastic piece that fits onto the pump housing and allows for the filter to mount on the side instead of the bottom. I ordered my kit from RMATV and it was around $31.

#13 ·
[MENTION=112098]Footy[/MENTION]

Thanks! Does the kit plug off the lower location, where the original filter went?

#15 ·
The new kit has a passage in the plastic part that snaps onto the bottom of the fuel pump housing . The passage takes fuel from the bottom of the pump to the side of the housing and into the new filter.

#16 ·
just ordered a kit for myself

#17 ·
Same here, but I ordered 2 of them. I'm not having any of the staling issues on either quad. Just figured if this is a improved design I may as well do it. And after some 10- 12 years of use, I'm sure it couldn't hurt!

#18 ·
I feel sort of foolish that I did not change this filter when I bought the 700. 3 things swayed my decision not to change it at that time (spring of 2018).
1. This 700 appeared to have low hours. At that time I also owned a honda rancher 420 that used the exact same filter design. My rancher had 350 hours on it and had never had a filter change and it ran fine.
2. My honda dealer said the filter was $50 .
3. I did dump the fuel tank into a white bucket and did not see any trash in the fuel so I figured it was OK.
Typically when I buy a used machine I service everything before I ride it, so I know where I am at with it. Lesson learned.

#20 · (Edited)
that's why we

call them Steelerships

#21 ·
Cheeper on eBay

#22 · (Edited)
You found the filter cheaper on eBay? What did you pay, and maybe share the link, for others. Only ones I seen on there were like a few dollars more and then they added shipping cost, making it like $5 to 10 higher in price.

Sent from my kids room using Tapatalk

#24 ·
I recieved mine today from rmatv, pretty fast shipping. They have the kit just under $31 and I got some clearance priced googles @16.99 to allow for free shipping, on orders of $75 or more.

#25 · (Edited)
not bad . i paid $26.44 +2.18 tax =28.62

ok i cheated ....my brother works for a honda dealer

#27 ·
I was able to finally ride the 700xx yesterday. I was very disappointed that the new fuel filter did not solve the problem of flame out and back firing. I think I had to put the air box lid back on 3 times after back firing blew it off. It does seem to run cooler though. Power seems good. I just do not know what else to try. This machine is completely stock except for a uni fliter and the insert being removed from the muffler. When I had an FMF and a tuner it did the same thing. I am starting wonder if there is a bad ground somewhere?
Yesterdays ride group.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.