Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

Need help!!!

3K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Footy 
#1 ·
New member here! But have a serious issue that I cannot figure out. So about 2 years ago I bought a 700xx, rode fantastic for around 6 months, one day on the trail it would not start via the button, tried to roll start and it fired up, rode like that for another 6months, then lack of time/interest I was unable to ride, be setting for around a year, so I drained the fuel, changed spark plug, still unable to start by the button, but WILL ROLL START. And starts and runs perfectly when roll started. As soon as you shut it off it will not start back by the button. Have adjusted valves, checked stator, (reading .000 ohms?) good battery. Tried 3 different ones and jumper cables. I’m at a lost and hope someone has an idea. Thanks! Sorry for the long post... P.S it’s bone stock.

#3 ·
Does it crank but not start from the starter switch?

#4 ·
are wires hooked to the coil ?

#6 ·
All coil wires are hooked up, I don’t believe it’s the decompression because there is no spark when plug is removed and put to the head (can literally hold the plug in my hand while cranking over) put an ohmmeter from coil wire to The pin on the ecm and nothing seems to be open. With key on I have power to both sides of the coil via test light. It will start but by only roll starting and runs fantastic. But will only crank over by the button and won’t fire. I ordered a stator and new coil. I had an old warrior at one time that had a very similar issue and ended up replacing the stator Even though it seemed to ohm out ok. and it fixed it. So hopefully it’ll work..

#7 ·
Are you sure the starter is engaging and turning over the engine?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

#8 ·
when you push the start button does the voltage drop at the coil ?

#11 ·
I tired studying the wire diagram . its an impossible to really trace where the wires go . it does not help the book splits the diagram on to two different pages .

#12 ·
well...……...…......ya could all ways run a hot wire to the coil , i'd put a switch of some kind in the line

#14 ·
be nice to hear back from Dylan700xx

#15 ·
Sorry for the late reply... no i don’t believe it’s related to the starter. As stated it turns over extremely well. Compression out the exhaust and such. Just no spark. I’m about 99% confident it’s the stator/crank sensor and replace the coil as well. So gonna give that a shot. Found a decent deal on a used one, seems to be hard to find a stator for these?? I’ll report back when parts come in.

#16 ·
Reporting back guys, GOOOD NEWS!! Done alittle more digging and decided to pull the stator cover off once more, noticed the cranksensor/pickup had some markings/scratches on it??! So with that being said I figured it wasn’t close enough to the fly wheel, so I ground down the centering notches on the sensor bracket, and drilled the holes a couple sizes bigger, which aloud me to adjust the sensor, got it where I wanted, through it all back together, and wouldn’t you know it, she fired right up, no issues!! Sad thing is new stator should be here soon, so may keep it as a spare or send it back.. probably not a permanent fix, or the best one, but it was free and now working properly. Just really not sure how those marks got on the sensor to cause it to be to far from the flywheel and not to create a signal.. but anyways hope this helps someone in the future. And thanks to all who replied!

#17 ·
Glad you got it fiqured out! And thanks for posting the results.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.