Questions about new FMF 4.1 exhaust - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 04-21-2010, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Questions about new FMF 4.1 exhaust

I got my new FMF Factory 4.1 slip-on today. Install was easy, took about 2 minutes.

Have a couple questions I'm hoping someone here can answer.

-- Is there a quiet insert for this exhaust that also comes with a spark arrestor?

-- I have a UNI filter but haven't done any mods to my airbox lid yet. Should I wait to mod my air box until I get the powerbomb header and an EFI controller or should I do it now. I have a buddy who has a cnc mill and he was going to make me some cool plates to use for my air box mod when I do it.

-- I didn't use any silicone on the initial install but I ordered some today and am planning on applying it before I go for my next ride.

This thing is damn loud, I expected a difference but this thing really cracks the whip. My neighbors are going to be pissed if I race it up and down the road much more.

Spark arrestor is a must have for me because I ride on lots of public lands and it's required. The best of both would be great, I know this thing is well over 100dB and I really don't want a ticket.

How does a spark arrestor and quiet insert affect overall performance?

Thanks for any advice or comments on this.

RP

2008 TRX 700XX
FMF 4.1 Factory Full System
UNI Air Filter
Renthal 13T Front Sprocket
Pro-Armor Dominator Black Front Bumper
Maxxis RAZR2 23x7x10 Front Tires

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-21-2010, 09:12 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to smo0oth1
I don't believe there is a quite core available for the exhaust, They sell different slip-ons to manage the sound and you picked he loudest one FMF offers lol. You can mod you airbox all you need but at anytime but do not run the Powerbomb without the programmer. It easy to slip the slip-on off later to apply the silicone but if it's not leaking then it's really not necessary. You would notice some black streaks around the connection if it is leaking.

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
post #3 of 14 Old 04-21-2010, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

There is definitely a quiet core insert, here is a link to one: http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...utm_medium=cse

Here is another link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=35573

I was mainly just hoping I could find one that also included the spark arrestor.

Seems like I could probably mod the quiet insert to also have a spark arrestor screen on it. I have some material that is perfect for this application.

From what I understand if they stop you and check for the spark arrestor most of the time all they do is poke a dowell i the exhaust and if it stop theyknow ou have a spark arrestor installed.

I like the soud the FMF makes, just was a bit surprised by the bark, didn't expect quite that much difference.

Funny story..... I bought this thing without telling my wife, beat her home so she wouldn't find it on the door step. Ran out to the shop and installed it, then I fired it up and hit the throttle a few times, then I noticed her standing outside the shop. I told her I just installed a new filter and wanted to make sure it was working.

She has absolutely no clue I got a new exhaust. She apparently doesn't pay much attention.

2008 TRX 700XX
UNI Air Filter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old 04-21-2010, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Why are both pictures different? Do like I did, call them up and ask them about a silencer but also ask them if they could insert a screen at the end of the silencer, this way when you slip the silencer on, the screen is inside the exhaust.

Supertrapp SL, Pro Design Filter, PCIII, PRM Baja Front Bumper, PRM 6 Pack Grab Bar, Ricochet A-Arm guards, 23" Front ITP Pro Series, Kenda Kutters XC on DWT Red Labels, Motion Pro Twist Throttle,Maier Plastics, Elkas Front Shocks (Preload)
post #5 of 14 Old 04-22-2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog View Post
There is definitely a quiet core insert, here is a link to one: http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...utm_medium=cse

Here is another link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=35573

I was mainly just hoping I could find one that also included the spark arrestor.

The quiet core has a spark arrestor. Trust me. I have a 4.1 with the FMF quiet core. It's inside the tube. The Dennis Kirk one is what it looks like but I got mine from Ebay. The Ebay pic is generic and not what you get. Click on the images tab below the picture on the Dennis Kirk site. Here's a pic I copied from there. Click on it for a better look.

Renthal 13 tooth sprocket
FMF Factory 4.1/Powerbomb header
EHS EFI controller/airbox lid/UNI air filter
Alba Pro Elite nerf bars
Renthal Raptor660 handlebars/ODI Rogue grips/Precision Racing antivibe clamps
CCP steering damper
PRM Desert II bumper/PRM standard grab bar, PRM skidplate
Maxxis Razr 23x7x10 front tires, Kenda Kutter 22x9x11 rear tires
L8ton Racing 9/16 Swaybar
Elka Stage4 front, Fox Podium X rear shocks
Teixeira upper a-arms
Powermadd handguards

Last edited by markas214; 02-26-2011 at 02:58 AM.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-22-2010, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Nice, that's exactly what I was trying to figure out.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Does the quiet core actually dampen the sound quite a bit? I don't have any tool to measure the dB limit but I'm guessing it's over 100 as it sits without any core in it right now.

Thanks,

RP
post #7 of 14 Old 04-22-2010, 11:05 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to smo0oth1
That's the first I see of one for the FMF, I'll be ordering one for when I'm riding around the neighborhood. From what I've experienced with other quiet cores they do make a considerable difference with just a slight loss in top end power.

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
post #8 of 14 Old 04-22-2010, 11:45 AM
ara

Call FMF direct and order part # 4.1/4C Spark Arrestor
post #9 of 14 Old 04-22-2010, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Ordered one today, I'm going to shoot a little video of the fmf so people can hear it, have seen lots of requests for that. Then I'll shoot another when I get the quiet core. It claims it will bring the noise down t 94dB.

2008 TRX 700XX
UNI Air Filter

post #10 of 14 Old 04-22-2010, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Here's a short clip of the new exhaust.

trying to post the vid of the exhaust, having issues...

Last edited by BigDog; 04-22-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode