Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

Airbox Lid & Filter

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  crwh45 
#1 ·
I have had my 08' 700 a week and ready for some changes. I sold my 2006 crf250r last fall and had money to play with, so I bought this leftover TRX700 from the crate for $4,299. The atv is a monster but seems to be restricted. Does K&N make a airbox lid and filter for this TRX700? Will a larger exhaust outlet on the stock pipe free up some power without a bunch of popping and back firing? I am also interested in trying the 13T front sprocket, I am riding our motocross/ woods course and looking for more snap out of the corners. I am not interested in spending stupid money on this atv as it is brand new, just some mild mods to get her going.......

#2 ·
There are some things I'd recommend to wake the 700xx up a bit. A K&N set up will flow better than stock, but will also allow more dust to pass through unless you use a pre-filter in dusty conditions. Even so, I'd recommend a Uni foam filter and EHS airbox lid instead. Flowing in is only part... you also have to allow for better flow out and then the right fuel/air mix. Most new quads come set lean from the factory to meet air quality standards and all that other BS. You shouldn't mod the flow in and out without modding the fuel/air mix with a efi controller... otherwise it would be way way lean.

My 2 cents.... Call Eric at EHS for a big 3 package... EHS lid, EHS efi controller and Barker full exhaust. Add in the 13t and UNI filter... You'll have one fast ass beast. My opinion... money well spent.

roadkill

#3 ·
the 13 t driver will make a big difference as stated every where on this site, if you want to open it buy a pipe & controller, there is a night & day difference. My buddy bought a HMF pipe & controller works great I jumped from 1 700 to another there is no comparison.

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the quick input! First I will change front sprocket only (13T) and put some more hours on it. I had to buy a ramp this week so getting in and out of my F150 would be much safer. I would like to see Dunlop size a wider lower profile tire for the rear of the 700 as a replacement.

Love the site, very informative.

#5 ·
Thanks for the quick input! First I will change front sprocket only (13T) and put some more hours on it. I had to buy a ramp this week so getting in and out of my F150 would be much safer. I would like to see Dunlop size a wider lower profile tire for the rear of the 700 as a replacement.

Love the site, very informative.
13t :tup: tire choices are limited for stock rim there are some good threads to check out kenda just came out with a new one and the rzr is never a bad option.

#7 ·
Is there that big of a difference between the uni filter and the stock one? Is K&N the way to go?

On ebay they sell the uni filter anwhere betweem 20 and 30 bucks. If I could get the same performance out of the $30 set-up, that would be my first choice.

The k&N set up is 130 compared to 30 for the uni filter. Can someone explain the main difference between the two?
Thanks

#8 ·
Paper filters such as the K&N or Velocity have better air flow and therefore better performance. The problem with them is that they do not filter as well, which in time is going to hurt the longevity of your engine. The best thing to do is clean them after every ride and use an outerwear. If you ride in very dusty areas I wouldn't recommend a paper filter.

The Uni filter I believe is less restrictive compared to stock, but still gives you the filtration of a foam filter.

I like the Uni just because it is going to be better in the long run for my engine and I also ride in very dusty areas. To me the better filtration is worth more than the performance gain, but it all has to do with where you ride and what you prefer.

#9 ·
The 13t is a good choice to start with. As far as filters the Uni will flow plenty for a big 3 bike without hurting performance. If you were to build the motor you could then consider a K&N or Velocity. The next mod I'd recommend would be the fuel controller. After this you'd be ready for an exhaust. I know everyone may not be able to afford a complete exhaust but if your looking to make power you must have a header. A slip on itself will change the exhaust note but may not even make 1hp by itself. If you purchase just the sliponbe careful in which you choose. Some companies do not offer a header and other brand headers will not fit it. Choose an exauat that offers a header on case you upgrade later

#10 ·
I ride dusty muddy wet terain have a k&n outerware and ehs style lid just cleaned my filter after about 10 rides and my intake tube is spotless and my filter wasn't that dirty either outerware stops almost every thing and a well oiled k&n will get the rest. But for the price the uni is a good way to go. Compared to 120 plus lid mod

#11 ·
2010 Trx700xx?

WOW! My wife and I had our 700 out for the second time this weekend. We did some woods riding and then took turns ripping around a 14 acre motocross track. I have decided to go with the 13T sprocket ONLY for this season. In the woods I am using 1st and 2nd only, on the track I put it in 3rd in 2 straight sections. This machine is sick fast, I have been riding a Honda CRF250R for the last 4 years and this TRX makes the CRF feel like a pit bike. I thought I would follow up on post and thank everyone for their input.
Is Honda going to stop making the TRX700? I was on Honda site and see there is no 2010 model. I think a white rear fender on the red/black model would look great so I went looking.

#12 ·
there are hardly any 2010 models of a lot of machines due to the poor economy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.