heat wrapping the header - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-22-2010, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
heat wrapping the header

does it have the same effect as heat wrapping exhaust on a race car? i know its gotta help with the burnt leg factor a little bit. i only worry that somehow it would make the quad run hotter. thanks in advance.

2008 700xx
black/red the best color scheme!
fmf q4 slip on
prm six pack rack
13t renthal front
maxxis m9207 23x7x10 fronts
ehs lid
uni filter
ehs programmer
trail tech 1 1/8 bar clamp
new grips
pro taper contour bars
factory effex rotating clamps

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-22-2010, 10:03 PM

I wrapped mine all the way doesn't affect the bike any; but my leg still gets hotter than 9 kinds of hades,
post #3 of 9 Old 05-22-2010, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I have had mine wrapped for a year now, although I did not wrap it right up to the head, I started about 8" down the pipe so the majority of the heat could dissapate and not be held in the head, wrapping close to the head also tends to make the pipe brittle from retaining the high heat, also you want to run your quad after washing untill the wrap dries so the moisture does not rust your pipe. just my .02 cents

734 09 Raptor
Meglodon by Bo,KW springs, Web 4 Cam, 54mm TB, 105.5mm CP cylinder, 14:1 CP,Barkers Inframe,Dynatek Coil,PC V,Dynatek Programable ignition,CCP stabilizer,+5 swinger,Boss Noss Sys, Direct Drive Lock-up, KDS Evac valve,HID Light conversion,SPAL fan
Tuned by EHS Racing 78hp 55Tq

post #4 of 9 Old 05-23-2010, 12:31 AM

ceramic coating would work well too
post #5 of 9 Old 05-26-2010, 02:19 PM

Has anyone actually put a digital thermometer to the head to prove the temp increased with the use of header wrap. I was always under the impression that header wrap was used to keep the heat in the header and off of the engine. Would like to know for sure as I was planning on wrapping both of my bikes and a friends bike. Don't really want to waste my time and money.

Live to Ride Ride to Live
post #6 of 9 Old 05-26-2010, 06:05 PM

I couldn't tell that the ceramic coating helped mine any with performance or the burnt leg factor. I ran a Barker's ceramic coated for a month and then switched to an uncoated one. Never tried the wrap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KASH 2011
post #7 of 9 Old 05-26-2010, 06:48 PM

I agree with rappy. High heat for long periods of time does tend to make metal brittle. but a header should be able to withstand it. Also the water in the blanket setting on the header will cause corrosion so like rappy said i would run it.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-27-2010, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I've never been a fan of heat wrap just because I think it looks crappy when it is exposed on the outside of a bike unlike a car where it's under the hood... out of sight. They do make the wrap in different colors, but that will soon start to look bad as well as it wears and is washed. JMO

roadkill

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R. Waters
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

post #9 of 9 Old 05-28-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yama450yfz View Post
Has anyone actually put a digital thermometer to the head to prove the temp increased with the use of header wrap. I was always under the impression that header wrap was used to keep the heat in the header and off of the engine. Would like to know for sure as I was planning on wrapping both of my bikes and a friends bike. Don't really want to waste my time and money.
I have a laser thermometer when i get to ride again I will see what the temp is I'm guessing around 950 degrees or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode