Overheating Bad! - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 Old 05-30-2010, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Overheating Bad!

I was overheating all weekend at the indiana badlands and am curious why. Some info about it to ponder. Yes I know I was overheating. The hot light was on, the fan was screaming all weekend, and at one point the coolant boiled out of the radiator. I pulled the radiator cap and the radiator is full, as is the res. The radiator was clean as well. It did not come on instantly more like after 1-2 Hours of riding. I was thinking thermostat or water pump but it took so long to start overheating I kinda ruled that out. I had another XX riding with me and he was not having any overheating problems. The only difference between our 2 machines is I have a UNI air filter and a EHS lid. Both of us have stock exhausts with our spark arrestors pulled. The only thing I can come up with is maybe I am running too lean with the filter and lid. I dont have a programmer and I know quads for the most part come pretty lean from the factory. Any ideas? I thought I would get some opinions before I did anything. I really dont want to take it for warrenty and then it not be something broken and get charged a bunch of cash for diagnosis time for nothing.

Please help!
P.S. Some awesome pics and video from the weekend soon to come!

Port and Polishing w/ +1 Valves by Illinois Powersports
11:1 CP 715cc Big Bore Piston
290 Web Cam
+3 Throttle Body
PCV Tuned by Illinois Powersports
61.52 HP 48.24 TQ

Special Thanks To
Illinois Powersports
630-365-6722

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 05-30-2010, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What was the air temp? Were you in a lower gear pushing more rpm's than your buddy? Is this the first time this has happened? How many hours are on the machine? Is the radiator free of any mud? I see you have a 13 tooth sprocket. If your friend doesn't he would be running lower rpm's and have a cooler engine temp compared to yours. I've ridden VERY hard all day in 95 degree weather and the fan was screaming non stop, but have never overheated. Boiling coolant is never good. I'm asking how old the machine is because if it's new, there's a possibility that the cooling system had air trapped in it and would cause an over heating problem. I would flush the system and replace it with Engine Ice or something along those lines. Ride it again and see if it happens. If so then a trip to the dealer is in order.

2008 Honda 700xx Red/Black, Full Alba Exhaust, UNI Filter, EHS Lid, PC3, 13T Front,Pro Armor Pro XC Bumper (BIGGEST P.O.S EVER MADE), Pro Armor Full Chassis/Swing Arm Skids, PRM A-Arm Skids, Maxxis RAZR fronts and rears. In the works, ported/polished head, custom cam, ported T/B.

1997 Toyota Supra Black/Black with a little boost and 1300 hp

2003 Mustang Cobra ditched the S/C for a 80mm hairdryer
2007 Yamaha R1 Charcoal/Black
2013 BMW 335 Coupe Deep Sea Blue/Black
post #3 of 65 Old 05-30-2010, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

This is the first time it has ever overheated like this or at all for that matter. Temps were in the upper 80s. I was pushing the machine hard/high reving but so was he. We rode roughly in the same gears; I asked him about that to confirm. He has a 13t sprocket as well. The radiator was clear of mud. I have had the XX since Dec and has roughly 60-70 hours on it. I did plan on replacing the coolant with engine ice but I dont want to cover up an underlying problem if there is one. Going to the badlands I end up pushing the XX harder than I ever normally would but like I said he had an identical quad minus the EHS lid and UNI air filter

290 Web Cam
+3 Throttle Body
61.52 HP 48.24 TQ

Special Thanks To
Illinois Powersports
630-365-6722

post #4 of 65 Old 05-30-2010, 09:46 PM

I would say that it's just the high revs and ambient air temp. The fan can only do so much to cool the engine if it's hot out. If the speeds are slower and the revs are high then the problem gets worse pretty fast. It wouldn't hurt to flush the cooling system though. I don't think you're running too lean. The mods you have really don't do much as far as power goes. The air coming in cannot go out any faster then stock with the factory exhaust in place, even without the spark arrestor. Take a look at the end of your pipe and see what color it is. Pull the plug just to be sure.

2008 Honda 700xx Red/Black, Full Alba Exhaust, UNI Filter, EHS Lid, PC3, 13T Front,Pro Armor Pro XC Bumper (BIGGEST P.O.S EVER MADE), Pro Armor Full Chassis/Swing Arm Skids, PRM A-Arm Skids, Maxxis RAZR fronts and rears. In the works, ported/polished head, custom cam, ported T/B.

post #5 of 65 Old 05-30-2010, 09:52 PM

I would say you are right, to lean. The pea gravel at the Badlands pulls hard. I ran into the same thing with a stock 400EX about 10 years ago there, it was only 2 months old and it got hot enough that it started puffing out some oil smoke. Filter and proper jetting and never had the problem again. A little bit of fuel can do wonders for your engine temp. Just my opinon.

KASH 2011
post #6 of 65 Old 05-31-2010, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

What should I be looking for on the plug to confirm lean or not? Would I notice anything at this point with a fuel programmer or would it just be a waste of money? I know all quads usually come lean from the factory for emmision purposes but I am not sure to what extent. I plan on talking to Eric at EHS as well to see what he thinks. I appreciate all the input on here and keep the opinions comming. Maybe it's something I didn't even consider. I'm newer to quads but I have a general idea about engines

290 Web Cam
+3 Throttle Body
61.52 HP 48.24 TQ

Special Thanks To
Illinois Powersports
630-365-6722

post #7 of 65 Old 05-31-2010, 08:59 AM

The porcelain part of the plug needs to be a tan paper bag color to be dead on with the fuel mixture. If it's more white it's too lean. More black it's too rich. The EHS lid and a UNI, IMO, won't make you too lean. The lid is barely bigger than the stock opening as far as sq inches go. So the amount of air isn't that much more than stock. If it was that lean you would notice it sputtering and popping in the upper rpm range and your friend would be able to walk past you. I honestly think your problem is just due to high rpm's, ambient air temps, and slower speeds.

post #8 of 65 Old 05-31-2010, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

I will check the plug today. My only reason to question that it was temp/rpms/slower speeds is that my buddy was riding in almost the exact same way and he had no overheating problem and his fan barely ever came on

290 Web Cam
+3 Throttle Body
61.52 HP 48.24 TQ

Special Thanks To
Illinois Powersports
630-365-6722

post #9 of 65 Old 06-02-2010, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Something to add to this now is that I just checked my oil and it was lower. Not by a ton but like half way on the stick instead of full up. I just topped it off as well before the last ride and I dont have any leaking on the ground. I just talked to the dealer he said that was in a more normal range so I dont know. I checked for air in the radiator and there was none. I really dont want to take it to the dealer and get hosed for 2 hours of diagnostic time if they dont find anything.

290 Web Cam
+3 Throttle Body
61.52 HP 48.24 TQ

Special Thanks To
Illinois Powersports
630-365-6722

Last edited by Crash21; 06-02-2010 at 12:25 PM.
post #10 of 65 Old 06-02-2010, 12:35 PM
ein

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
the other weekend i ran mine with airbox lid off/ spark arrester out and no fuel programmer and mine seemed to get hot.. moreso than normal. put the lid back on and bike stayed alot cooler! ... just my 2 cents.

23" GBC XC Master tires up front
ITP T-9 rims rear GBX X-REX 22-11-10 rear
Douglas red label rear rims with 25" swamp lite tires
8000k Hid lights, 13/14/15tooth sprokets
Removed reverse rev limiter
Ds450 shock swap
EHS fuel programmer
Big Gun EVO R slip on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode