Little Help? FMF Controller and Velocity Filter - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 01-02-2009, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Little Help? FMF Controller and Velocity Filter

I installed an FMF Q4 Muffler, FMF Powerbomb header, and an FMF EFI Controller. Very simple install and everything was running great. The next day my Velocuty air filter arrived. After installation I took it for a test ride and it quickly starting choking and stalled. I could not get the quad restarted and finally switched the gas to reserve and it started right up. Happen four times and all four times I had to put it on reserve to get it started. Turns out the EFI Controller needs to be adjusted and was causing a vapor lock which required me to switch it to reserve in order to break the vapor lock. Anyway I obviously need to make changes to the settings on the FMF EFI controller but the directions for changing the settings are pretty intimidating. Looks like a lot of people on here have the same set up...can anyone make suggestions on how to get the settings right to run well with the Velocity filter added on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-02-2009, 09:09 PM

A few first year 700 Raptors had simular issues, may not be the controller. Need to check the A/F.

Bo White
205-886-7043
post #3 of 18 Old 01-02-2009, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Bo, I'm not too good with this stuff...what does A/F mean? Suggestions on how to check it?

post #4 of 18 Old 01-02-2009, 10:11 PM

Well, most accurate way is with a wide band O2 sensor or 5 gas analizer. The traditional way is by sparkplug checks, you want a paperbag brown color or a tad whiter. Problem about that way is that these newer bikes have such good ignition systems that its iffy on too wide of a scale. You can go by the exhaust valve color, which is more accurate, you want it to be light tan.

Bo White
205-886-7043
post #5 of 18 Old 01-03-2009, 12:15 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to smo0oth1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdq4u View Post
I installed an FMF Q4 Muffler, FMF Powerbomb header, and an FMF EFI Controller. Very simple install and everything was running great. The next day my Velocuty air filter arrived. After installation I took it for a test ride and it quickly starting choking and stalled. I could not get the quad restarted and finally switched the gas to reserve and it started right up. Happen four times and all four times I had to put it on reserve to get it started. Turns out the EFI Controller needs to be adjusted and was causing a vapor lock which required me to switch it to reserve in order to break the vapor lock. Anyway I obviously need to make changes to the settings on the FMF EFI controller but the directions for changing the settings are pretty intimidating. Looks like a lot of people on here have the same set up...can anyone make suggestions on how to get the settings right to run well with the Velocity filter added on?

The dealership actually installed my reserve/off/on selector incorrectly and I had the same problem. The bikes will actually run quite awhile on off so you wouldn't notice it right away. Turning the selector fully counterclockwise is the off position, do this and check to see where your indicator is pointing.
If it was installed wrong just remove the selector with a philips and put it back right.

Also do not touch the throttle when starting the XX, It will make it hard to start
post #6 of 18 Old 01-03-2009, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Bo, not to sound stupid but what do you mean by A/F?
post #7 of 18 Old 01-03-2009, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Smo0oth1, I will check this but doubt its the case as I have had no problems before making the mods and I have over 20 hours of riding.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-03-2009, 09:21 PM

Air/fuel ratio.

Bo White
205-886-7043
post #9 of 18 Old 01-04-2009, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Thank you
post #10 of 18 Old 01-04-2009, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Okay, I took the quad out today and I really need a little help. I could ride for about 10 minutes each before the quad choked out and stalled. It simply would not start up again unless I switched the gas to resevre at which point it started right back up. This happened over and over. Could even switch it to resevre and right back to regualr fuel without starting it and it would start. No doubt some type of vapor lock but not sure what to do about it. Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode