Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

Bad for the Tranny?

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  EEHonda 
#1 ·
My parking brake is out of adjustment and I don't use it anyways like many of you, but my question is during transport should I leave it in neutral or in gear? I had a strap break before so I like the idea of it being in gear and not rolling off my trailer but is it bad for the bike to leave it in gear?

#4 ·
I secure mine quite tightly through the front of the frame behind the bumper and the rear of the frame and ratchet till the shocks compress alittle. I didn't think it would be an issue

#5 ·
I go overboard a little just incase i break a strap. Foot pegs to front and back of truck bed and grab bar to bumper(Holds tailgate up in shortbed so stuff does not roll out). If it is a long ride I will also put front of frame to tie down on eather side so 5 -7 straps(so overboard). I gess to many straps is better than seeing an xx pass me on the road with no rider. I never leave it in gear. It will kill the trany sooner or later.

#12 ·
in the truck, one strap all the way around the back frame just under the exhaust, w/ her in 1st. Do it w/ all the toys, including the farm machinery.

#14 ·
U tranny has 100x more stress on it when it's running. leaving it in gear is in no way harmfull....

#16 ·
I read the thread link on page 1. I had never heard of damaging the tranny by leaving it in gear. I have heard of notching the clutch basket by the constant back and forth motion if it is in gear and not secured. I have had clutch baskets that were notched and had to reface them so they would release right, but I am pretty sure that was from abuse. I would think it would take alot of rocking back and forth in a truck bed to do any damage.

1 Strap and 1st gear is what I do. Either to a foot peg or behind the bumper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.