Thank god it's a Honda, now what? Please help. - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 07-28-2010, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank god it's a Honda, now what? Please help.

Hey all, hoping some mechanically inclined peeps can help me out.

Today I tried to hug some high ground which I could not fit on and ended up putting myself and my 700 in the drink, submerged in water. The 700 stopped running as I was waist deep in it. I pulled her out as fast as I could (damn this thing is heavy) and quickly checked my air box to see it was now a fish tank. I honestly thought I was screwed as far as getting it running again today but after putting the thing on itís side and up on the rear bar (did I mention this thing is heavy?) gallons of water poured out and I got it started to watch water spew from the exhaust for a minute or more. Relieved I would not have to walk miles home just to have to come rescue my 700 another day, the bike rode back what seemed flawlessly.

So now that my 700 is sitting in my garage licking the wounds I gave it. Have I done any damage? If so how much? What? What can I and should I do or check at this point?

And for the record maybe another bike would take this and keep on going too but I sure have abused some Hondas in my day and at this point will never buy anything else with an engine that is not a Honda. I absolutely beat the living .ish out of my first Honda CBR sport bike and the thing ran like new with just regular maintenance up to 25k when I sold it. I now even have a Honda lawnmower and am getting a Honda pressure washer. I am thankful that a company can make such reliable equipment. I think they are the only company that has actually sold me on their brand.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 07-28-2010, 03:45 PM

I would say check the plug and check the oil for water. I would take the air filter off and let it dry out good. Make sure the fuse area is dry so it does not corrod.
post #3 of 38 Old 07-28-2010, 03:46 PM

your pretty lucky, two weeks ago my friend did the same thing to his honda foreman. sat it up pulled the spark plug water shot every where it started. i cant wait to see if it blows smoke or not its hard to hydro lock a motor and have it come out fine honda or no honda.

post #4 of 38 Old 07-28-2010, 03:46 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to NineLivez2Go
Your going to need to drain the oil and change your filter about 2-3 times. Change it let it get to temp, then change it again. May take only 2 times if your lucky.
post #5 of 38 Old 07-28-2010, 04:18 PM

i drowned a yammie 450 i used to own we drained the oil,removed the plug and filled engine with metholated spirits wound it over for a minute or so(metho evaporates any water/moisture that will be in the engine sitting on gears/bearings ect that will cause rust spots and cause things to fail)then replaced oil filter filled with oil and went for a ride, then drained oil and replaced filter again, rode as normal after this, i had the bike for 4 years after this and had no probs at all
post #6 of 38 Old 07-28-2010, 04:37 PM

I would also add check all electrical connections and put a little dielectric in every connection that doesn't have waterproof connections. It doesn't take much corrosion to mess up a ride.
post #7 of 38 Old 07-28-2010, 05:29 PM

Did the same to mine and still works like brand new.

2008 red TRX700, CCP stabilizer, PRM Desert II, 13T sprocket, 23" Razr 2's, 11/16" sway bar,Elka Stage 2 Fronts, EHS Big 3, UNI filter, IMS PowerMadd Hand Guards, Wiigstyle rear shock re-spring, Teixeira Tech front upper A-arms,Precision Shock & Vibe clamps, Tusk Chub CR high bend, ODI Rouge grips, HCC seat cover, kenda kutter rear.

2010 camo Polaris Sportsman 850
post #8 of 38 Old 07-28-2010, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLivez2Go View Post
Your going to need to drain the oil and change your filter about 2-3 times. Change it let it get to temp, then change it again. May take only 2 times if your lucky.

It's been my buddies experience (the skimers) that you need to change the oil at LEAST 6-7 times to get all the water out.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #9 of 38 Old 07-28-2010, 05:46 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to NineLivez2Go
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzz View Post
It's been my buddies experience (the skimers) that you need to change the oil at LEAST 6-7 times to get all the water out.
Good to know, thanks Scuzz. I have never had the pleasure on my quad but had a buddy who swamped his truck and it took 3 oil changes to clean it out.
post #10 of 38 Old 07-28-2010, 07:14 PM

My Buddy swamped his brute force and after changing the oil like 10 times it still developed a smoke and had to go to the shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode