Engine tapping noise - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 07-28-2010, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Engine tapping noise

I went to look at a used 08 700xx today,and it had this loud tapping noise in the engine.It sounds like it's coming from somewhere around the piston.Is that a normal sound with these bikes?
I have a friend that has a 450r,and that thing makes lots of noise when its running.
Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-28-2010, 11:02 PM

Not normal probably the valves.
post #3 of 19 Old 07-29-2010, 04:49 AM

these engines do make noise but without actually hearing it myself i wouldnt want to tell you its normal. how many hours are on the bike? also look under the quad for lots of gouges and rust. look at all the frame bolts for excessive corrosion. check the oil for metal flakes and water. If a lower octane fuel is used it will make more noise. also when you accelerate does it get louder and faster or does it go away?? is there any smoke? try to figure out if its coming from the top end or lower end. Also when in doubt go with your gut feeling.

Last edited by droby1242; 07-29-2010 at 04:56 AM.

post #4 of 19 Old 07-29-2010, 07:52 AM

they make noise, i have went over my valves, timing chain and clutch yesterday ad its still loud and runs its balls off, its just normal timing chain slap, if you try to tighten it the noise changes but get worse, thats how i know its only the timing chain...you should be able to tell if its a rod knocking.plus i think the engine has a knock sensor. and +1 to the fuel, if you run a low octane in it it sounds about 60% worse, my little brother did it to mine and i found this out.

2008 TRX 700XX (Black/Charcoal)
13T,Stage 1 hotcam,11:1 CP piston,L8ton Sway bar,Orange Maier Plastics,21" razr 1 front,ITP Sandstars on 10" ITP T9 Pro Series,FMF powerbomb/powercore.EHS programmer next.

2007 GSXR 1000 (Orange/Black)
-1,+2 Driven Kit,K&N, Full Leovince stainless exhaust,PcIIIUSB/Dyno tune,Hyperpro Damper,ASV Levers,Woodcraft Engine covers,Woodcraft Clipons,Xenon HID,Carrozzeria Wheels,Galfer Rotors(gsxr.com 2010 bike of the year)
post #5 of 19 Old 07-29-2010, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by droby1242 View Post
these engines do make noise but without actually hearing it myself i wouldnt want to tell you its normal. how many hours are on the bike? also look under the quad for lots of gouges and rust. look at all the frame bolts for excessive corrosion. check the oil for metal flakes and water. If a lower octane fuel is used it will make more noise. also when you accelerate does it get louder and faster or does it go away?? is there any smoke? try to figure out if its coming from the top end or lower end. Also when in doubt go with your gut feeling.

Im going back to check it out again today.I'll ask the owner if he has 87 octane gas in it or not.I does get faster and a little louder when you rev it up.
It dont smoke at all.
The tires are worn out,so it probably has lots of hours on it,but the bike still looks good
He said he just changed the oil in it,and that it didnt sound that loud before he changed it.
As loud as it is,it still dont sound as bad as the 450r my buddy has.I was told all the 450r's sound like they're about to come apart
I'll see if I can find one at a dealer that they can crank up and let me hear it run so I can compair the two.I'll know then if its just a normal sound or not

Last edited by yota33; 07-29-2010 at 08:43 AM.
post #6 of 19 Old 07-29-2010, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

It sounds like it's coming from the top end to me.
Have any of you ever adjusted the valves on a 700xx?
post #7 of 19 Old 07-29-2010, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

I just went and looked at it again.That tapping is real loud,you can hear it the whole time your riding,that cant be normal.He said he put 93 octane gas in it.

Last edited by yota33; 07-29-2010 at 10:55 AM.
post #8 of 19 Old 07-29-2010, 11:25 AM

mine does it too, the valves are easy to adjust.

13T,Stage 1 hotcam,11:1 CP piston,L8ton Sway bar,Orange Maier Plastics,21" razr 1 front,ITP Sandstars on 10" ITP T9 Pro Series,FMF powerbomb/powercore.EHS programmer next.

-1,+2 Driven Kit,K&N, Full Leovince stainless exhaust,PcIIIUSB/Dyno tune,Hyperpro Damper,ASV Levers,Woodcraft Engine covers,Woodcraft Clipons,Xenon HID,Carrozzeria Wheels,Galfer Rotors(gsxr.com 2010 bike of the year)
post #9 of 19 Old 07-29-2010, 11:26 AM

you can hear mine tapping when you ride it and it gets faster but i have checked everything and there is nothin mechanically wrong with my bike,it could be the kind of oil he pout in it.im going back with amsoil because mine was quieter with amsoil

post #10 of 19 Old 07-29-2010, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Im gonna see if I can find out how to adjust the valves in the service manual,ive never made any valve adjustments on anything.
He said he put Mobil 1 4T 10W40 in it.
I use that same oil in my CBR 1000rr,I like it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode