burning oil :( - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 08-24-2010, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
burning oil :(

ok well i think my xx might be burning oil, do u guys ever have to add oil? its not smoking or anything, and i cant smell it but i had to add bout a quart to it. i changed it but havnt had time to ride much since then to test it out and see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-24-2010, 12:37 PM

Pull the plug and check the insulator for discoloration. If it's burning oil, there should be some sign there.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-24-2010, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

thanks. where exactly is that again? sry im not much of a mechanic, changing the oil is bout all i do.

post #4 of 13 Old 08-24-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCMS View Post
thanks. where exactly is that again? sry im not much of a mechanic, changing the oil is bout all i do.
Spark plug...do you have an owner's manual? Should tell you in there how to do it.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-24-2010, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

yea. thanks, ill check it out if its low again after i ride.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-24-2010, 02:29 PM

Make sure you are checking your oil correctly:
Put bike on level ground, start cold engine and let it idle for five minutes, check oil immediately! Don't screw the dip stick into oil tank. Just set it on the threads.Note: DO NOT rev or blip the throttle during the five minutes. This could cause you to get an inaccurate reading. Idle only no throttle.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-24-2010, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the edvise, its always on level ground i have a shop. i didnt ever let it idle though, and i checked the dip stick both ways just incase. i wasnt for sure which way it was though. glad i know now.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-27-2010, 07:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to crwh45
Just so you know as well, if you are burning oil somewhere, you should have some residue in the exhaust. Even if you can't see it smoking blue. Also, check every where for leaks, because it may have a slight leak somewhere that you wouldn't normally notice.

2008 700xx; Power Bomb header with power core 4 exhaust, Power Programmer III, pro armor nerfs, prm products control front and rear bumpers and full skid, 10" ITP rears, ITP Baja's fronts, RZR 2's all the way around, Uni filter, 13t sprocket, CCP steering Damper, DS450 shock swap, Dual Gasser Throttle, bar risers and Moose barkBusters. 730XX kit plus other engine mods!
post #9 of 13 Old 08-27-2010, 07:53 PM

The 700XX has a dry sump system I think. You need to have the engine at operating temperature to check the oil if this is the case.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-04-2010, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-N-BlackXX View Post
Make sure you are checking your oil correctly:
Put bike on level ground, start cold engine and let it idle for five minutes, check oil immediately! Don't screw the dip stick into oil tank. Just set it on the threads.Note: DO NOT rev or blip the throttle during the five minutes. This could cause you to get an inaccurate reading. Idle only no throttle.
in the manual it says to check the oil with out starting the engine, if its low then check the crankcase. then if you have oil then let it idle then turn it off for 2 or 3 min and check it. is it really necessary to check the crankcase if its low when u check it without leting it idle first. only reason i ask is because i checked mine and it was at the low mark. then i let it idle, checked it immediatly, and waited 2 min checked it again and it said it was good. so i guess im good if i let it idle then check it and its ok? even though it said it was low when it was just siting, before i let it idle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode