Too much oil...... - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 09-12-2010, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Too much oil......

Godam, first time this happens to me, I think I've put too much oil in my quad, I start her for about 5min, wait 2min for it to cool down and the oil shows above the high mark :(
Anything I should do or I just put all this good oil to waste and do another oil change................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-12-2010, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After she warms up, check the oil immediately after you shut the machine off. Might make a difference.
post #3 of 23 Old 09-12-2010, 07:57 PM

First up when you do an oil change dont go off the stick , get a big measuring cup and pour in 1.8 litres of oil thats with a filter and you can not go wrong. By the way dont try and pour in 1.8 in the oil box it will overflow just put 1 litre in and run then put the other .8 in. Man you could try and drain it out of your crankcase check bolt if its that over full it should pour out or loosen of your oil box drain plug slightly and let the oil come out slow with out removing the bolt and continue to check the oil level

Overlord

Last edited by Overlord; 09-12-2010 at 08:04 PM.

post #4 of 23 Old 09-12-2010, 07:58 PM

It's a dry sump system so extra oil isn't as big a deal as with a wet sump. The oil tank is a holding tank while the oil pump pushes oil throughout the engine. If it bothers you, take a length of hose, push it into the oil tank, hold you thumb over the exposed end and transfer the oil to another container. Keep doing that until you have the extra removed.
post #5 of 23 Old 09-12-2010, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8r View Post
It's a dry sump system so extra oil isn't as big a deal as with a wet sump. The oil tank is a holding tank while the oil pump pushes oil throughout the engine. If it bothers you, take a length of hose, push it into the oil tank, hold you thumb over the exposed end and transfer the oil to another container. Keep doing that until you have the extra removed.
Thats what I was wondering too, but I don't want to put any stress on the pump as the pressure in the tank might be too high.....
post #6 of 23 Old 09-12-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyNut View Post
Thats what I was wondering too, but I don't want to put any stress on the pump as the pressure in the tank might be too high.....
Really no stress involved. Read here to learn about dry/wet systems

http://www.dansmc.com/4_stroke_oilpump.htm
post #7 of 23 Old 09-12-2010, 09:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to xx700xx
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyNut View Post
Godam, first time this happens to me, I think I've put too much oil in my quad, I start her for about 5min, wait 2min for it to cool down and the oil shows above the high mark :(
Anything I should do or I just put all this good oil to waste and do another oil change................
I see you're following the manual and I think you should stick to that! If the oil is high then go to walgreens or some other store to buy a small syringe. You can suck out some of the oil with it till its at the right level. Also, dont forget you're not supposed to screw the dip stick in when you check the oil. Let me know if you need any other questions asked.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 23 Old 09-12-2010, 09:37 PM

Too much oil adds windage and is not good for the motor. Best to drain a little out and get the level correct.
post #9 of 23 Old 09-12-2010, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks guys, will do the syringe trick and remove the excess....or I might just remove whats in the crankcase if it doesn't work ;)
post #10 of 23 Old 09-13-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-N-BlackXX View Post
Too much oil adds windage and is not good for the motor. Best to drain a little out and get the level correct.
Windage is only really seen on wet sump systems.

From Wikipedia:

windage refers to parasitic drag on the crankshaft caused by oil splashing out of the sump at high rpm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode