need help....blowing smoke - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 09-13-2010, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
need help....blowing smoke

i need help. i was on a quad ride over the weekend and towards the end of the 30 mile ride i noticed i was blowing tons of smoke out of the exhaust. ive never had this problem before and the only thing i did different before the ride was change the oil ( it was its first oil change). i was wondering what it could be. i used a honda filter for the 700xx and i used 10w 40 motorcycle oil, i believe it was valvoline. (i do run a uni filter, fmf programmer and fmf exhaust. incase you want to know my set up). i ran the bike the next day to see what happend when i cooled down and im still smoking when i give it gas. any advice would be appriciated thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-13-2010, 10:24 AM

What color is the smoke?

White = water (coolant)

Blue = oil

Grey or black = fuel
post #3 of 17 Old 09-13-2010, 10:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to crwh45
Did you also clean and oil your filter? Too much oil on the filter can cause it to smoke. Have you checked your oil level after riding? Did it go down at all? My oil ring went on mine a few months ago and was eating about 8 ounces of oil every 30 mins or so.

Also, not that it would really cause it to smoke or anything, but are you sure it was MOTORCYCLE OIL? Just making sure is all.

2008 700xx; Power Bomb header with power core 4 exhaust, Power Programmer III, pro armor nerfs, prm products control front and rear bumpers and full skid, 10" ITP rears, ITP Baja's fronts, RZR 2's all the way around, Uni filter, 13t sprocket, CCP steering Damper, DS450 shock swap, Dual Gasser Throttle, bar risers and Moose barkBusters. 730XX kit plus other engine mods!

Last edited by crwh45; 09-13-2010 at 10:56 AM.

post #4 of 17 Old 09-13-2010, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

its blue like oil and it smells like oil burning. i didnt touch my oil filter. its only been the second time i road with the uni filter. this is the first time its smoked. my oil level was actually a little high after riding. i thought it may have been to much oil but i read in another thread that it wasnt all that big of a deal if the oil was to high. i put 2 quarts in which i know is a little too much but before i road i checked the oil level and it was perfect.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-13-2010, 01:01 PM

2 quarts is usually what i put in mine? Chances are it's not your air filter. If you were to over oil it then it may smoke a little at first but it would dissipate fairly quickly.
post #6 of 17 Old 09-13-2010, 01:18 PM

If you are checking your oil the proper way, and it is over full, then I would definately take some out. So it isn't your air filter at all either. The blue smoke narrows it right down to your oil. Did you still have excellent compression and everything? If it isn't caused by your oil being too full, then it could be a number of other things, such as your valve guides or your OIL ring.

2008 700xx; Power Bomb header with power core 4 exhaust, Power Programmer III, pro armor nerfs, prm products control front and rear bumpers and full skid, 10" ITP rears, ITP Baja's fronts, RZR 2's all the way around, Uni filter, 13t sprocket, CCP steering Damper, DS450 shock swap, Dual Gasser Throttle, bar risers and Moose barkBusters. 730XX kit plus other engine mods!
post #7 of 17 Old 09-13-2010, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

everything else seemed to be fine thats what the odd part was. it was a little sluggish when getting started. could it be the plug? or does it sound like a valve. i only got it in december so if its not something i may have done its going back because its still under warrenty
post #8 of 17 Old 09-13-2010, 02:44 PM

I would definately check your level first, make sure it is the proper level, and then go from there. If it is a damaged valve guide, or your oil ring, HONDA WILL NOT WARRANTY IT, because they will say that it was due to you, improper AIR FILTER MAINTENANCE on your part which means they will say you got dirt in there some how and that is what messed it up. Just telling you what will more than likely happen.

post #9 of 17 Old 09-13-2010, 02:46 PM

Disconnect your Fmf programmer and see how she runs.

The best in the business
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

High Desert Dyno/Cuervo Racing
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bo White 205-886-7043
Ed @

Chris & Mike
post #10 of 17 Old 09-13-2010, 04:04 PM

Did you oil your uni before you put it on? Because they are not oiled when you get them.

2008 trx700xx
1992 250x (sons)
2005 crf230
2005 LTZ250 (sons)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode