Adjusting valves..... - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 09-14-2010, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Adjusting valves.....

Its time to adjust the valves on my XX, I got around 1200kms on it now....anyways is it a very complicated task to do ? What are the special tools required to do it and how long does it take for a guy that has never done it ?
Just wondering if I can do it myself or if its too complicated, I've clean carbs, PV did all the maintenance on my machines, snowmobile and atv but never did a valve adjustment ...I'd like to do this myself instead of going to the dealership.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-15-2010, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to crwh45
It is pretty easy if you got the service manual. As the other threads say, the hardest part is taking off the plastics and the fueltank. Before you start, make sure you have the proper size FEELER GUAGES, and the proper size ALLEN wrench for the left side crank cover (mine got stripped b/c someone didn't have the right size). It is pretty easy, and the manual shows you exactly what to do. Just be sure you do it in a clean spot where no dirt can really get into it. What I usually do is after I get the plastics removed, I wash it up and use an air compressor to blow dry it.

2008 700xx; Power Bomb header with power core 4 exhaust, Power Programmer III, pro armor nerfs, prm products control front and rear bumpers and full skid, 10" ITP rears, ITP Baja's fronts, RZR 2's all the way around, Uni filter, 13t sprocket, CCP steering Damper, DS450 shock swap, Dual Gasser Throttle, bar risers and Moose barkBusters. 730XX kit plus other engine mods!
post #3 of 15 Old 09-15-2010, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I'll check the manual and all and will go check for feeler guages and see if I got a proper Allen wrench but I should.
For the feeler guages, are they all the same or should I buy a specific one ??

post #4 of 15 Old 09-15-2010, 07:54 PM

any set will do, there are metric and std. tolerances listed....its very easy...hardest part is getting to them...dont pay for it
post #5 of 15 Old 09-16-2010, 06:39 AM

NOT ANY SET WILL DO. Look in the manual and it will give you the tolerances, I can't remember them off the top of my head, but some feeler guages that you can get don't go down small enough for the tolerances you need. If you don't have ones that small, SEARS would be a good place to get them as when I got my first set, they had a gazillion different ones there, and to make it easier, if you had a set that were angled on the one end, that would make life easier getting in there.

2008 700xx; Power Bomb header with power core 4 exhaust, Power Programmer III, pro armor nerfs, prm products control front and rear bumpers and full skid, 10" ITP rears, ITP Baja's fronts, RZR 2's all the way around, Uni filter, 13t sprocket, CCP steering Damper, DS450 shock swap, Dual Gasser Throttle, bar risers and Moose barkBusters. 730XX kit plus other engine mods!
post #6 of 15 Old 09-16-2010, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Give me the model of your feeler gauge so I'll check to see what it looks like. Whats the size I'm looking for the gap of my XX ?
post #7 of 15 Old 09-16-2010, 06:14 PM

intake.006 exhaust.008

The best in the business
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

High Desert Dyno/Cuervo Racing
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bo White 205-886-7043
Ed @

Chris & Mike
post #8 of 15 Old 09-18-2010, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

How the hell do I remove the tank heat shield, plastic piece to get to the valves, I've removed everything but this part is not explained in the manual.....
post #9 of 15 Old 09-18-2010, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

All done, I figured it out, wiiiii, now I can do the valves on my atv without having to rely on the dealer and if I get a 450 in the future or anything that requires regular valves maintenance I'll be able to do it.
I just hope I tightened everything the way I was supposed to. That heat protector on top of the engine is probably the toughest part to remove, its quite a puzzle when you don't have instructions but I figured it out.
Valves were a bit on the tight side.

How I removed the heat protector......
1. remove the two side plastics with the 700xx engraved in them, just remove the two bolts and the small plastic insert and it will come out.
2. remove the spark plug cap, that one is a bitch, very small area to put your hand in.
3. remove all tubings that goes on top of it.
4. unplug those two connectors thats on end of plug coil(I guess) its on the back of the heat protector, you will see the two connections with small wires. There some type of plastic semi-cover that goes on it just lift it up a little or remove if you want.
5. remove the heat protector, you have to twist it to your throttle side from the back.

What a pain to figured this one out lol.

Last edited by NavyNut; 09-18-2010 at 02:34 PM.
post #10 of 15 Old 09-21-2010, 03:31 AM

Good job. That coil is actually your starter. This machine is very simple to do. If you are going to dig into 450's, you may want to be a tad more careful as some actually have shims that you'll need to replace.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode