Front Sprocket Install ? - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 11-04-2010, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Front Sprocket Install ?

I recently installed a 13T sprocket. When I put it on the splines, I just slipped the chain over it and did not make sure that the slack was about the same on the top and bottom of the chain. I adjusted it by checking the amount of slack mid way on the lower part of the chain. After thinking about it, I am second guessing myself and wondering if I might have it to tight on the top. Do I need to go back and take it off and start over? Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 TRX 700xx
'07 Yamaha 660 Rhino Sport - Turbocharged
'01 Raptor 660- Sold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-04-2010, 05:35 PM

No. Worst case, you'd just need to check the tension. Even if you had your chain unbalanced like you're talking about, that problem would go away as soon as you shifted into neutral and rolled a bit.

Tom

08 700XX (Gray, L8ton Racing Stealth Bumper, 13 tooth, 21" Razr2 fronts, stock rears, Precision Pro stabilizer, Fox Evols and Podium Xs, Teixeira Tech stock-length upper A-arms, Teixeira Tech stem, L8ton Racing 9/16ths sway bar, ProTaper Contour bar, Shock & Vibe clamps, EHS lid & programmer, HID headlights)

08 Outlander 800
08 Yamaha Big Bear 400 4x4
post #3 of 15 Old 11-06-2010, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Not sure just putting it in neutral will equalize it. If there are 18 links on top and 20 on the bottom from a center line, turning the chain is not going to change the number of links. Seems like it needs to be moved a link to make the numbes even on top and bottom. Assuming it is a 38/13 setup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 TRX 700xx
'01 Raptor 660- Sold.

post #4 of 15 Old 11-06-2010, 03:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to crwh45
Duramax, it will equal out on it's own. When you accelerate in the forward direction, the top of the chain is going to tighten right up as that is the direction you are pulling it w/ the front sprocket, therefore there will be a little slack on the bottom if that makes sense. Plus, if you have the bike in neutral when you check the chain, the front sprocket may move a bit when you are pulling up on the chain.

2008 700xx; Power Bomb header with power core 4 exhaust, Power Programmer III, pro armor nerfs, prm products control front and rear bumpers and full skid, 10" ITP rears, ITP Baja's fronts, RZR 2's all the way around, Uni filter, 13t sprocket, CCP steering Damper, DS450 shock swap, Dual Gasser Throttle, bar risers and Moose barkBusters. 730XX kit plus other engine mods!
post #5 of 15 Old 11-06-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramax View Post
Not sure just putting it in neutral will equalize it. If there are 18 links on top and 20 on the bottom from a center line, turning the chain is not going to change the number of links. Seems like it needs to be moved a link to make the numbes even on top and bottom. Assuming it is a 38/13 setup.
It doesn't matter if the sprocket moves a tooth while it is on the shaft or off the shaft.

KASH 2011
post #6 of 15 Old 11-06-2010, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

I am talking about moving the chain a link, not the sprocket.

'08 TRX 700xx
'01 Raptor 660- Sold.
post #7 of 15 Old 11-06-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramax View Post
I am talking about moving the chain a link, not the sprocket.
Not sure how to explain. Imagine you are "off a link" (short one on the top). If you were to hold the front sprocket stationary and you then rotate the rear sprocket towards the front of the bike what would happen? You would end up with the same number of links on top as on the bottom. It is really a moot point though, because when you adjust the tensioners it takes care of it.

KASH 2011

Last edited by EEHonda; 11-06-2010 at 06:36 PM.
post #8 of 15 Old 11-07-2010, 06:53 AM

Duramax, I completely understand what you're getting at. I was worried about the same thing. But here's what happens--you've got 19 links on top or 20 on bottom or something like that. Then you pull in the clutch. Now the front sprocket and rear sprocket can move independently of each other as far as the chain will allow them to. So the front sprocket might turn backwards just a tick, or whatever it needs to get equal tension on top and bottom. So now they're equal, and tension just needs checked again. Does that make sense?

Tom

08 700XX (Gray, L8ton Racing Stealth Bumper, 13 tooth, 21" Razr2 fronts, stock rears, Precision Pro stabilizer, Fox Evols and Podium Xs, Teixeira Tech stock-length upper A-arms, Teixeira Tech stem, L8ton Racing 9/16ths sway bar, ProTaper Contour bar, Shock & Vibe clamps, EHS lid & programmer, HID headlights)

08 Outlander 800
08 Yamaha Big Bear 400 4x4
post #9 of 15 Old 11-07-2010, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Ok. I will accept what you are saying but I don't see how turning either gear is the same as actaully taking the chain off and moving it one link on the gear. I will take a closer look at it when I readjust it. Thanks.

'08 TRX 700xx
'01 Raptor 660- Sold.
post #10 of 15 Old 11-07-2010, 09:07 AM

This may help to visualize it, plus it is pretty cool anyway.

KASH 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode