overheating - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 11-21-2010, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
overheating

hi there people i have owned my quad since christmas and never had a problem with it overheating but at the weekend the overheating light came on and the fan was goin as well it did cool down and the light went out and the fan went off but just dont no y i was kicking it in 1st an 2nd gear or a bit as i was at an enduro with lots of mud and not much water to go through to keep it cool has anybody took there thermostat out to run cooler or is there something else i can do to solve this or is it just the way the bike runs in general
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-21-2010, 12:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to xx700xx
Check your radiator closely. I thought mine was clean but upon closer inspection there was mud packed in the radiator. The area of the radiator right in front of the fan had mud packed in there. I had to hold a hose to it in both directions for a while to clean it all out. Remove the plastic shrouds and take a close look. You'll probably find mud in there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 11-21-2010, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I would not recommend taking out the thermostat in any vehicle... that flow restriction is needed to slow the water flow through the radiator to give the water enough time IN the radiator to shed it's heat. Remove that restriction and the water will pass through the radiator without shedding much heat... the water will return to the motor almost as hot as it left.
My opinion is that you didn't get enough AIR flow through the radiator... possibly from mud and lack of speed (1st and 2nd gear)... If radiator is clogged with mud, fan can't pull air through.

roadkill

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

R. Waters
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

post #4 of 16 Old 11-21-2010, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

thanx for the advise do u think the thermostat is broke or just give the rad a good clean for now
post #5 of 16 Old 11-21-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondatrx450mick View Post
thanx for the advise do u think the thermostat is broke or just give the rad a good clean for now
Clean the piss outta it. Dust and dirt can get built up in there... out of sight. Even muddy water can clog... water is evaporated away from the heat, but leaves behind the dirt that is now baked on. I wash my quad after EVERY ride and clean radiator EVERY time even if I didn't ride in dusty or muddy conditions. Good habit to get into. Clean just like xx700xx suggested. You probably won't need to remove any plastics in future cleanings. See how cleaning good works on your next ride.

roadkill

"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

R. Waters

post #6 of 16 Old 11-21-2010, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Baxter
I remove the radiator every other race and clean it . You'd be surprised how much mud is in there , even though it looks clean. First time I checked to see how much dirt was in the rad even though it looked clean. Did it in the shower over the bath tub. Not recommended it was a white bath and the amount that came out and cleaning the bath afterwards.Lets just say it was a good job Jill was at work that day!

2008 TT-ReXX , 2003 400ex and 2014 CRF250r.
Products used, abused and loved from:
Ed at

Alex at

Jim at

Kyle at

With out these guys , it would not be as much fun.
post #7 of 16 Old 11-21-2010, 07:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to crwh45
I agree with everyone else. It is probably just your radiator. This happens a lot on bigger quads, my RINCON overheats whenever I go mudding with it.

2008 700xx; Power Bomb header with power core 4 exhaust, Power Programmer III, pro armor nerfs, prm products control front and rear bumpers and full skid, 10" ITP rears, ITP Baja's fronts, RZR 2's all the way around, Uni filter, 13t sprocket, CCP steering Damper, DS450 shock swap, Dual Gasser Throttle, bar risers and Moose barkBusters. 730XX kit plus other engine mods!
post #8 of 16 Old 11-21-2010, 10:30 PM

Spray the radiator down with engine degreaser. Then hose it off. That really helps to clean it. We do that at work a lot with our machines

Port and Polishing w/ +1 Valves by Illinois Powersports
11:1 CP 715cc Big Bore Piston
290 Web Cam
+3 Throttle Body
PCV Tuned by Illinois Powersports
61.52 HP 48.24 TQ

Special Thanks To
Illinois Powersports
630-365-6722

post #9 of 16 Old 11-22-2010, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
post #10 of 16 Old 11-22-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
.... Did it in the shower over the bath tub. Not recommended it was a white bath and the amount that came out and cleaning the bath afterwards.
In the bath tub? Really? I always thought you Brits were a bit crazy. I learned long ago that the easiest way to commit suicide with the wife is to bring auto/mc parts into the house. No work bench to assemble mc motor?... Dinning room table works... Does not go over too well with wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzz View Post
Simple green works great too.
Yep, what he said. I keep a gal bottle in my garage and just refill my spray bottle as needed.

roadkill

R. Waters

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode