My manual says this:
Oil Tank Level Check
Check the oil tank level.
Do not snap the throttle while idling because the oil level reading will be inaccurate.
1. Start the engine in a well-ventilated area and let idle for 5 minutes. If the air temperature is below 10ºC (50ºF), let the engine idle for an additional 5 minutes (a total of 10 minutes).
2. Stop the engine and wait 2-3 minutes.
3. Remove the oil filler cap/dipstick from the oil tank and wipe it clean.
4. Check the oil level by inserting the oil filler cap/dipstick into the oil filler hole without screwing it in.
5. The engine contains a sufficient amount of oil if the oil level is between the upper level mark and lower level mark on the oil filler cap/dipstick.
6. If the oil level is near or below the lower level mark, add the recommended engine oil up to the upper level mark.
7. Reinstall the oil filler cap/dipstick.