Post your engine/trans problems and solutions - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 01-24-2011, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Post your engine/trans problems and solutions

here are mine and some solutions i came up with after getting sick and tired of engine noise and tearing the whole motor apart.

problems:

clutch bearing going out(more than 1 time)

connecting rod small end wore out causing piston to walk and engine to smoke

i assume valve seals are leaking

timing tensioner went out

i believe the wrist pin failure was do to oiling loss because of a clogged oil screen, there are 2 or 3 in the engine that i am going to check today.

solutions:

for the tensioner i can easily make a stock tensioner into a manual one or the 2006 xr650r tensioner works too and are easily found on ebay.

for valve seals, order 2006 xr650r valve seals off of ebay, they are the same seal at a fraction of oem cost.

when the connecting rod is gone, have your local machine shop bore out the hole and install a 0.945 in. I.D. chevrolet bronze bushing in it instead of buying a $350 crank assembly, that way if it goes out again you can just change the bushing.

check all screens listed in the service manual to make sure they are not clogged.

honda offers a replacement clutch basket bearing for some reason so im going to try that.then i will move on to another option.
my solution to the clutch chattering problem, i plan to see if it is possible to use a xr650r clutch assembly since they do not have issues with clutch basket noise and our engines were designed based off of that motor except with a different rod length and piston bore.if i find someone willing to let me use thier xr650r clutch assembly then ill post up my findings.

post up your problems and solutions, i have done tons of research to find affordable upgraded fixes for my problems so hopefully this helps someone in the future.

2008 TRX 700XX (Black/Charcoal)
13T,Stage 1 hotcam,11:1 CP piston,L8ton Sway bar,Orange Maier Plastics,21" razr 1 front,ITP Sandstars on 10" ITP T9 Pro Series,FMF powerbomb/powercore.EHS programmer next.

2007 GSXR 1000 (Orange/Black)
-1,+2 Driven Kit,K&N, Full Leovince stainless exhaust,PcIIIUSB/Dyno tune,Hyperpro Damper,ASV Levers,Woodcraft Engine covers,Woodcraft Clipons,Xenon HID,Carrozzeria Wheels,Galfer Rotors(gsxr.com 2010 bike of the year)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-24-2011, 10:53 AM

So far I haven't had any problems with my motor.
post #3 of 21 Old 01-24-2011, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

i hope nobody does because its a stressful, expensive, PITA process of repairing it.

13T,Stage 1 hotcam,11:1 CP piston,L8ton Sway bar,Orange Maier Plastics,21" razr 1 front,ITP Sandstars on 10" ITP T9 Pro Series,FMF powerbomb/powercore.EHS programmer next.

-1,+2 Driven Kit,K&N, Full Leovince stainless exhaust,PcIIIUSB/Dyno tune,Hyperpro Damper,ASV Levers,Woodcraft Engine covers,Woodcraft Clipons,Xenon HID,Carrozzeria Wheels,Galfer Rotors(gsxr.com 2010 bike of the year)

post #4 of 21 Old 01-24-2011, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Baxter
Just to help you out, somebody () makes a conrod kit, can't remember who but i will find it .They also do valve stem seals.
And I beleive Wayne said you could you use the 650r clutch(?) but did not specify anymore.

2008 TT-ReXX , 2003 400ex and 2014 CRF250r.
Products used, abused and loved from:
Ed at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alex at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jim at

Kyle at

With out these guys , it would not be as much fun.
post #5 of 21 Old 01-24-2011, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Baxter
Pro X does the valve seals and Hotrods does the conrod kit,

http://www.hotrodsproducts.com/Produ...x?item_id=4336

2008 TT-ReXX , 2003 400ex and 2014 CRF250r.
Products used, abused and loved from:
Ed at

Alex at

Jim at

Kyle at

With out these guys , it would not be as much fun.
post #6 of 21 Old 01-24-2011, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Should we start a sticky pole or something to keep track of how many end up with these problems? Mine has almost 200hrs and not a problem one. Yet.
post #7 of 21 Old 01-24-2011, 05:37 PM

The xr650 valve seals can be found here.

http://valvetrain.kpmivalvetrain.com...v/700-100018-4?

The best in the business

High Desert Dyno/Cuervo Racing

Bo White 205-886-7043
Ed @

Chris & Mike
post #8 of 21 Old 01-24-2011, 08:53 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to smo0oth1
Great post Jarrod, I like the idea of repairing the con-rod.

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
post #9 of 21 Old 01-25-2011, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
Just to help you out, somebody () makes a conrod kit, can't remember who but i will find it .They also do valve stem seals.
And I beleive Wayne said you could you use the 650r clutch(?) but did not specify anymore.

thanks for the info, that is why i started this thread, to put all findings in one location...hopefully he will chime in about the clutch because if it is true then that may be the route i am going.

im going to research the connecting rod, its $150 and if it does not have a bushing, the next time it goes out you have to spend another $150 to replace it,designing it like a car engine means you can spend $28 to have a new bushing pressed in, the origina;l cost to have the hole machined and the bushing pressed in, cut and chamfered is about $58, the bushing is $8 of that price

btw, it uses a connecting rod small end bushing for a Z06 LS6 corvette available from howards racing cams from summitracing.com

post #10 of 21 Old 01-25-2011, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to 700xxmaniac
my enigine sota (locked up) .... somethin with the decomp, it sorta got stuck..... runnin fine now. i just messed with it and i fixed it...somehow 0.0

08 TRX700XX
-uni
-primary drive 13t
-pclll
-soon to have a cp 11:1

99 ford f-250 ccsb 7.3

-skyjacker 6'' lift
- 315-75r16 pro comp xtarrain
-sct 100hp tune
-straight pipe with 4'' dp
-dana 60 swap with mile marker hubs

06 pos hyundia tuscon
-dont buy one there junk

live to ride and ride to live
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode