EFI Question - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 01-27-2011, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
EFI Question

Hows it going everyone? Last night me and a few buddies went riding in the snow. After an hour of riding my buddies 700xx started to shut off. So he changed the spark plug. About 1 hour later he was getting it and BOOM. Threw a rod or what have you. Has a big hole in the lower head.

My question is me and him have the same mods and Im worried that this might soon be the fait of my xx. I want to know if there is anything I can do tuneing wise or things that I can listen for or look for to prevent this from happeing?

07 civic si, go fast parts and sit low suspension
08 700xx: Alba nerf bars (black), Tusk Grip heaters, Odi Rouge Grips, Tusk Hand Guards, Pro Taper Contour Mid bend bars (black), Trail Tech bar mount, Barker Full exhaust with Quiet Core, Billet Gas Cap, PRM Desert II Bumper, EHS EFI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-27-2011, 01:48 PM

sounds like a lean condition if it was tuned for warm weather.

2008 TRX 700XX (Black/Charcoal)
13T,Stage 1 hotcam,11:1 CP piston,L8ton Sway bar,Orange Maier Plastics,21" razr 1 front,ITP Sandstars on 10" ITP T9 Pro Series,FMF powerbomb/powercore.EHS programmer next.

2007 GSXR 1000 (Orange/Black)
-1,+2 Driven Kit,K&N, Full Leovince stainless exhaust,PcIIIUSB/Dyno tune,Hyperpro Damper,ASV Levers,Woodcraft Engine covers,Woodcraft Clipons,Xenon HID,Carrozzeria Wheels,Galfer Rotors(gsxr.com 2010 bike of the year)
post #3 of 22 Old 01-27-2011, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Yeah, cold weather being more dense would make it even leaner.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

post #4 of 22 Old 01-27-2011, 09:30 PM

I have known several people locally that have blown their engines in the snow. The combination of the engine doing more work and a slower speed and getting snow packed around the engine and radiator drastically reducing cooling. I know it seems weird that you could ruin the oil and grenade a motor when it is freezing outside.

Sounds like you are suspecting a fuel problem, but I wanted to let you know what I had seen before that has caused the same thing.

What did the plug look like that you pulled out? Black or detonated? What about the plug that was in it when it blew? The plugs should tell part of the story.

I run the Barker/EHS set up as well, but without the quiet core. I haven't had any problems in the cold. What did his end cap look like, clean or black?

If you are concerned about yours, do some plug reads in the cold.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KASH 2011
post #5 of 22 Old 01-27-2011, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

His plug was all black when he pulled it. AFter the blow up I dont know. My exhuast looked a little black to me but that was on the screen of the quiet core.

08 700xx: Alba nerf bars (black), Tusk Grip heaters, Odi Rouge Grips, Tusk Hand Guards, Pro Taper Contour Mid bend bars (black), Trail Tech bar mount, Barker Full exhaust with Quiet Core, Billet Gas Cap, PRM Desert II Bumper, EHS EFI.
post #6 of 22 Old 01-28-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg50Lt View Post
Hows it going everyone? Last night me and a few buddies went riding in the snow. After an hour of riding my buddies 700xx started to shut off. So he changed the spark plug. About 1 hour later he was getting it and BOOM. Threw a rod or what have you. Has a big hole in the lower head.

My question is me and him have the same mods and Im worried that this might soon be the fait of my xx. I want to know if there is anything I can do tuneing wise or things that I can listen for or look for to prevent this from happeing?
i guess you will have to tear it down if your missing valves it was in the head first if the hole is lower then you may have broke the rod/piston either way its sounds like the problem was showing itself earlier and you guys didnt catch it. I imagine there was a loss of power due to the increased friction which was either a loss of lubrication or a wore/broken part. your problem does not sound like a lean problem at all to me, the xx has a intake air temp sensor that will richin the honda map which in turn anything connected to it pc/ehs efi will also run richer and the % of fuel added is also multiplied.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 22 Old 01-28-2011, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
post #8 of 22 Old 01-28-2011, 11:39 AM

i talked to him about it on the phone, he was in the top of 5th gear, seems like he broke a valve spring or valve or something, he side he did not see a hole though.

2008 TRX 700XX (Black/Charcoal)
13T,Stage 1 hotcam,11:1 CP piston,L8ton Sway bar,Orange Maier Plastics,21" razr 1 front,ITP Sandstars on 10" ITP T9 Pro Series,FMF powerbomb/powercore.EHS programmer next.

2007 GSXR 1000 (Orange/Black)
-1,+2 Driven Kit,K&N, Full Leovince stainless exhaust,PcIIIUSB/Dyno tune,Hyperpro Damper,ASV Levers,Woodcraft Engine covers,Woodcraft Clipons,Xenon HID,Carrozzeria Wheels,Galfer Rotors(gsxr.com 2010 bike of the year)
post #9 of 22 Old 01-28-2011, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

He called me yesterday and we talked on the phone a bit abotu what you said (simply orange). All I know is that if I start to feel loss of power or anything like that Im going to stop riding it and figure out whats going on.

I feel bad for him but I guess ish happens. Hopefully hes able to build it up better and stronger to meet his need for speed.

post #10 of 22 Old 01-28-2011, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Easy fix..... move to south alabama (we dont have snow)

TEAM TORQUE RACING
2009 TRX700XX
Visual: Maier white/black carbon fiber body, 22x11x10 and 22x7x10 razrs on ITP SS112, Renthal bars, ProArmor full nerfs, pro grip grips, red underglow, 55W Bi-xenon H.I.Ds

Performance: Full barkers exhaust, PC5, EHS air box lid, P&P Shaved Head, Hardwelded Rockers, Stage 3 Hot Cam, 11:1 CP piston, K&N filter, 13T, 14T, 15T, 16T & 35T, 37T primary drive. & NO2

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode